northcave

Main re-pack

Just wondering if there is a maximum time that anyone would leave their main packed up for?

I havent been jumping for about 4 weeks and my rig is still packed up from last time. Would anyone here re-pack their main if left for a certain amount of time or does it not matter?

Tim

Doesn't your BPA have rules for this? Most countries have something to say about repacking a main, usually it's the same length of time as the reserve I think, so 4months-6months. 4 weeks is nothing ;) Unless it's been wet (shouldn't have been packed unless jumped again right away) or you need to practice packing LOL

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I havent been jumping for about 4 weeks and my rig is still packed up from last time. Would anyone here re-pack their main if left for a certain amount of time or does it not matter?

Yes, I do. If I feel any doubt and have time I repack my main. Its not because any regulations its just because of me. I love to feel,touch and pack my canopy. B|

It should be fine after four weeks.

In the United States a main must be repacked every 120 days, the same as a reserve. If you are really geeky, you can read the specific regulation at 105.43(a). Your country may have a different regulation.

As a general rule, a parachute will pack and then settle just a bit. Most of that settlement occurs over the first few hours to days. From there it remains pretty much stable in the container, and opening performance doesn't change much as long as the rig is well maintained. If it sits in a car trunk in the bright sun there may be problems, but generally, once a rig is packed it remains fine to jump for at least a little while beyond conventional mandated packing cycles. I don't have quick access to the data about packing changes over time, but I know somebody else here might be able to post it.

The main reason the United States has a 120 day repack cycle, and other countries have repack cycles, is to allow for inspection, an increasingly important point with more rigs equipped with AADs that have batteries. For that reason, inspection, I'd strongly encourage you to follow manufacturers and regulatory guidance about repack cycles.

So, you should be fine jumping your main four weeks after it was packed. If you want to repack it, go ahead, but don't feel obligated.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

As far as I know 4 weeks shouldn't be a problem. Should be a nice snively opening ;)

After 4 weeks? Why?

Left mine for ~4 months once. Longest 4 months of my life:P

Was just thinking that after 4 weeks all of the air is out of it. Should open nice and slow.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

If ya feel uncomfortable, re-pack it, at only 25 jumps you could use the practice. Before you repaci it though, jump it, it'll work...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If it went more than 5 years I'd definitely repack it! Every 120 days is probably a good rule of thumb if you want to be careful.

George G did some tests a while back where he packed up reserves, let them sit for X years on a shelf, then test jumped them. Last I heard he was up to 6 years; no problems other than a slightly longer opening time.

Rubber bands deteriorate with time. Might want to check them. Also, if the rig was stored in a hot or damp area, best check it more frequently.

If it went more than 5 years I'd definitely repack it! Every 120 days is probably a good rule of thumb if you want to be careful.

George G did some tests a while back where he packed up reserves, let them sit for X years on a shelf, then test jumped them. Last I heard he was up to 6 years; no problems other than a slightly longer opening time.

Rubber bands deteriorate with time. Might want to check them. Also, if the rig was stored in a hot or damp area, best check it more frequently.

For the heck of it....back in the late 70's we jumped some static line T-10's that had been packed for close to 20 years and they all worked.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I often repack the PC before I repack the main. I like that ZP PC not to have taken much of a set.;) Get the rest out of the bag and I'm good to go.

IF it's out of your control I'd be more cautious.

But shoot, 4 weeks is a weather hold!B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

For the heck of it....back in the late 70's we jumped some static line T-10's that had been packed for close to 20 years and they all worked.

I had a reserve ride on a borrowed rig back in the 80's and afterwards we discovered it had not been repacked in over 4 years. (I think it was a 22 ft. sac)

Some people say that the material is different now...Well hell yeah it is different, It's better!

I honestly don't think parachutes know how long they have been packed if they are stored properly. Time alone is not a factor.

As far as I know 4 weeks shouldn't be a problem. Should be a nice snively opening ;)

After 4 weeks? Why?

Left mine for ~4 months once. Longest 4 months of my life:P

Was just thinking that after 4 weeks all of the air is out of it. Should open nice and slow.

Never noticed any difference at all after that length of time.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How many jumps does it have?

If it's new (under 100 jumps) I personally never let it stay more than 1 month packed. I repack it every month. My brand new samurai was packed for 1,5 month, and when I took it out it was all sticky and kept almost the form of the bag =(

If your'e in doubt..repack it and inspect the rubber bands and linestows. It takes 20 min... Personally I think it's worth it. =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

>My brand new samurai was packed for 1,5 month, and when I took it out it
>was all sticky and kept almost the form of the bag =(

Right, but who cares? The important thing is that it opens - and taking a bit of a set won't keep it from opening. About the only argument I've seen is that the material can start to adhere after a long period of hot storage (like the red cordura on some 2002 Javelins) - but I have never seen this be an issue on canopies.