TaeKwonDoDo

TiVo/DVR Fanatics, and DTV set-up...

Anyone out there a TiVo fanatic?

I want to get a TiVo but neither DTV's or TiVo's customer service is very helpful when I ask for information on how to set-up which system to buy, etc... (please check out our web-page (which doesn't answer my questions)).

I want to be able to have the home media option for MP3s and JPEGs, and also be able to record one channel and watch another from DTV.

Any DVR fanatics providing input - would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Anyone out there a TiVo fanatic?

I want to get a TiVo but neither DTV's or TiVo's customer service is very helpful when I ask for information on how to set-up which system to buy, etc... (please check out our web-page (which doesn't answer my questions)).

I want to be able to have the home media option for MP3s and JPEGs, and also be able to record one channel and watch another from DTV.

Any DVR fanatics providing input - would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

- Jeff

The series 2 DirecTV TiVo is what you want. I've got a series one, so I've not used it with the home media option so can't comment on that. Other than that, it rocks, I love it.

-Ben

edited to add: Have a look here http://www.americansatellite.com/

If you want to watch one channel while recording another you will have to get the directTV Tivo, it has dual tuners. If you have any specific questions on how you will set up post them or PM me. The home media option is set up through a USB port and can also be used to transfer files from one Tivo to another.

Just a note...35 hours is at low quality which is really not worth watching. To bump it up to high or best you will only get about half of that. To add another drive and expand your capacity by 70 hours is 160 dollars.

On a related note forbes.com and others are very concerned about the effect DVR's will have on their precious advertising revenues. And guess what, they are right. I have not watched a commercial in a month and am able to watch what I want when I want it.

If you have any more questions, fire away! I can't say enough about how awesome Tivo is.

If you want to watch one channel while recording another you will have to get the directTV Tivo, it has dual tuners.

Or you could split the incoming signal. My cable line comes in and I split it to go to my VCR and my TV. You could split it between your TIVO and your TV. That's if you have enough inputs on your TV so you can plug both into it.

That only applies if you don't have digital cable (ie have a cable box) or if you want to watch the non-digital channels while recording something else.

True...works for me though. I have cable coming directly to my TV for the best signal for non-scrambled channels, and then split it off to the cable box and then the vcr, then the tv for scrambled channels. Works for me. I just couldn't record and watch 2 different scrambled channels at the same time.