Gawain

NBC News has just Called/Projected Successful CA Recall

What in the HELL are you talking about? California Republic? It's a state of the union, bound by the Constitution, which says that recalls are reserved for cases of criminal wrongdoing.

Um, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there are a few things about which you should be made aware.

First: there are two layers of government - Federal and State. Thus, the impeachment process in the Federal Government is separate from the State system. States are free to do what the want in terms of elections, so long as the Bill of Rights (incorporated to the states by the 14th Amendment) is followed. This is called federalism.

This is why the State of California has it's own Constitution. That's why we can recall the governor this way, but not a president or a federal judge.

Next: I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the will of the people was exercised.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It's a state of the union, bound by the Constitution, which says that recalls are reserved for cases of criminal wrongdoing

That'd be a pretty convincing argument, except that it doesn't actually say that anywhere in the United States Constitution. Think otherwise? Post the article and section number.

I'm not particularly happy that Arnold got elected--he gave way too few details of his plans and refused to participate in far too many debates.

On the other hand, a higher percentage of the people voted for him than voted for Davis in the last election.

Lawrocket, you are not being sensitive to red's feelings. It is extremely troubling and terrifying for liberals to face facts.

:)
We're going to hear a lot about this 'right wing conspiracy' garbage in the aftermath of the recall. I expect to see a lot of it in the LA Times.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

We're going to hear a lot about this 'right wing conspiracy' garbage in the aftermath of the recall. I expect to see a lot of it in the LA Times.

That's a simple enough problem to solve - vote w/your dollar and don't buy that rag (1000s of subscribers are voting/cancelling) - why support a paper that is clearly biased? :D

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Do you think this is really about the popular will? Don't make me laugh. It's a cyncial manipulation of the public's insecurity and ignorance].

you just defined the american political process, the same one you support when it goes your way...if your tired of letting the mindless mass determine your fate you need to advocate a system of government that isnt left in the hands of the lowest common denominator...

What in the HELL are you talking about? California Republic? It's a state of the union, bound by the Constitution, which says that recalls are reserved for cases of criminal wrongdoing.

The political framework which was established to govern The United States of America is as a FEDERAL REPUBLIC. Oh, did you think we were a democracy?

California's Constitution is set up the same way. In fact, California's flag bears that remark for all to see: "California Republic"

California's Constitution also states (Article 2, Section 1): All political power is inherent in the people.

Article 2 also addresses recall, Sections 13 through 20 (here's the meat):
SEC. 13. Recall is the power of the electors to remove an elective
officer.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 2 VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL

SEC. 14. (a) Recall of a state officer is initiated by delivering
to the Secretary of State a petition alleging reason for recall.
Sufficiency of reason is not reviewable. Proponents have 160 days to
file signed petitions.
(b) A petition to recall a statewide officer must be signed by
electors equal in number to 12 percent of the last vote for the
office, with signatures from each of 5 counties equal in number to 1
percent of the last vote for the office in the county. Signatures to
recall Senators, members of the Assembly, members of the Board of
Equalization, and judges of courts of appeal and trial courts must
equal in number 20 percent of the last vote for the office.
(c) The Secretary of State shall maintain a continuous count of
the signatures certified to that office.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 2 VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL

SEC. 15. (a) An election to determine whether to recall an officer
and, if appropriate, to elect a successor shall be called by the
Governor and held not less than 60 days nor more than 80 days from
the date of certification of sufficient signatures.
(b) A recall election may be conducted within 180 days from the
date of certification of sufficient signatures in order that the
election may be consolidated with the next regularly scheduled
election occurring wholly or partially within the same jurisdiction
in which the recall election is held, if the number of voters
eligible to vote at that next regularly scheduled election equal at
least 50 percent of all the voters eligible to vote at the recall
election.
(c) If the majority vote on the question is to recall, the officer
is removed and, if there is a candidate, the candidate who receives
a plurality is the successor. The officer may not be a candidate,
nor shall there be any candidacy for an office filled pursuant to
subdivision (d) of Section 16 of Article VI.

Where's the note of criminal intent??!!
...there endeth the lesson...;)

Nevermind, you're in Berkley, you won't get it and you'll hear no popping sound.

Ok, fine, throw in some cheap ad hominem attacks. Let me know where you live, so I can make some crude generalization about your politics.

I live in Orange County :P So, of course I know what you're going to say! I hear it all the time. You don't hear the generalization re: Berkley all the time?

Before you load the ammo towards Orange County though, you should also know I've had the privilege of living and building my life in Santa Clara, in addition to Oregon, Georgia, Florida, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Kentucky, New York and Minnesota. So my politics is not necessarily influenced by geo-socio trends.

Now, look at this recall map from CNN (1:50AM EST). There's a sliver that wasn't ready for this change, namely SF Bay, which includes Berkley, world renowned for not being terribly centrist.

Blue skies...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!