woz

Canopy sizing question.

So i have about 70 skydives since the beginning of the year and i think im looking to pickup a rig. I have been flying a 260 until recently stepping down to a 230 which i have stood up all but once. my exit weight is about 220 so going off a chart i saw on bigairsportz.com the recommended size for me is 230. im thinking about looking for a 210 and just renting a 230 a bit longer to get up over 100 jumps.

i guess my question is how long could i expect to be happy with the 210 once i start flying it? or should i just stick to a 230 for longer? i know this is probably different for everyone but maybe just the answer for the average jumper.

That would depend on a lot of things, mainly: which wing, your canopy piloting motivations and preferences, currency, skill, weather, and patience.

Assuming you're a fairly average jumper on an appropriate planform, you'll probably want to downsize again after 150-300 jumps on that canopy.
Brian

i guess my question is how long could i expect to be happy with the 210 once i start flying it?

There is good reason to stay at that wingloading forever. Lots of very experienced jumpers do not go any more aggressive than that, and they are still able to walk without a limp after decades of jumping.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

i guess my question is how long could i expect to be happy with the 210 once i start flying it?

There is good reason to stay at that wingloading forever. Lots of very experienced jumpers do not go any more aggressive than that, and they are still able to walk without a limp after decades of jumping.

uhhhhh - no
exit weight 240, jump a 150, no limps, no injuries

for the original post, at your jump level there is plenty of learning to do before going smaller, how happy you will be depends on alot of stuff, but how happy will you be if you downsize and crash yourself?
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Above is about the smartest thing you can do in the sport these days. Unfortunately the culture of rapid downsizing has developed over the years with many new jumpers being peer pressured into downsizing and
also pushing the limits in multiple areas of the sport early.

I know many jumpers that have put 1500 to 2000 jumps on the same canopy and all have the same things in common. Walk with out a limp, can fly the crap out of their canopies, understand how their canopies react in almost any/all weather conditions and have had very few or no malfunctions.

uhhhhh - no

One out of how many? What can a 150 do that a 170 can't?

Sparky

Fit into a smaller container :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

uhhhhh - no

Sparky

A 150 would get better penetration into the wind if you're a lightweight like me. :$ huh huh someone said penetrate huh huh
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

uhhhhh - no

Sparky

A 150 would get better penetration into the wind if you're a lightweight like me. :$ huh huh someone said penetrate huh huh

The question was directed at someone who is 240 out the door. Not exactly a lightweight.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Go faster, turn faster, swoop farther, be more fun to fly. You know, the reasons people generally downsize. As already mentioned fit in a smaller container, possibly penetrate better. Smaller canopies are generally easier to pack and take up lees space in the process. Sometimes smaller canopies cost less since they use less material. Chicks dig high performance canopies and long swoops too. :P

Naturally smaller canopies can get you in more trouble and quicker too. Kinda like faster cars.

Gosh, 35 years in and you didn't know all that? ;)

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Go faster, turn faster, swoop farther, be more fun to fly. You know, the reasons people generally downsize. As already mentioned fit in a smaller container, possibly penetrate better. Smaller canopies are generally easier to pack and take up lees space in the process. Sometimes smaller canopies cost less since they use less material. Chicks dig high performance canopies and long swoops too. :P

Naturally smaller canopies can get you in more trouble and quicker too. Kinda like faster cars.

Gosh, 35 years in and you didn't know all that? ;)

Thanks for the lesson on how canopies work.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

uhhhhh - no

Sparky

not sure what the first question means

the point of my reply was not to suggest a 150 but was to say that staying on the big canopy forever was not necessary

and since I'm getting older, slower, etc. looking at upsizing to a 190
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.