outlaw

'average' skydiver weight

There is no "recommended average" in terms of weight, but in reality it really depends on your height and flexibility.

Also your fall rate really varies on jump to jump depending on the people who you jump with. If you tend to jump 4 way or whatever with the same people and can't quite fall as fast as needed be simply add a few pounds to a weight belt 'feel' what speed/weight works best for you in the sky. Trial and error I suppose. G'luck and hope it works out well!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

170 is a pretty average weight, but it depends on your height. I think 5' 9" or 5' 10" is an average height, but if you're taller than that, you weight would be below average.

First, make sure you have a tight fitting jumpsuit with a nylon front and spandex arms. If you have any 'boosters' or 'pockets' on the booties, have them removed and go with a basic bootie. If you're still too slow, then start adding weight.

Also, what have you been doing for the last 200 jumps and 15 years? It seems like you would have figured out your fall rate issues a long time ago. Have you resently lost weight? Have your freinds recently (or slowly over the last 15 years) gained weight?

Is there a weight guideline considered 'recommended average' for flatfly? I'm trying to work out how much weight to add... I weigh 170 pounds with gear and seem to be too slow.

It's not the average that counts - you need to be able to fall with the fastest faller in the group. So it's the heaviest guy that you need to match.

Weight vests have pockets for the removable weights, so that you can add or remove them as necessary to get to where you need to be. Experiment with those and you'll figure it out, for the people you jump with. "Jump with John, add three pounds. Jump with Debby, remove three pounds."

Thanks for the insight re 'average', that's what I was looking for.

I am 5 10" so kinda average, as I thought.

To answer your question, I never had this problem before, but after a 1 year recovery from broken pelvis (unnecessary front riser dive loops accident), I have lost about 8 pounds and it's taking awhile to put back on ;)

Also, the chaps at my new DZ average 10 pounds heavier than me.

I have tried the spandex, tight suit thing - was in the smallest 'box' position ever!! And I CAN arch. I'm simply too light now, but not by much, I can just stay with them, range is my issue now, takes too long to catch them. Hence the weights idea :)
Blue Skies!
Outlaw

Its the fall rate that matters. The things that affect fallrate are weight, drag and surface area.
So you can add more weight, get a slicker jumpsuit and/or have an instructor look at your body position which may be able to decrease your surface area presented to the relative wind. Ideally head to a tunnel.
I've found that different dropzones tend to have different average fallrates. Many of the instructors at the DZ I've jumped at most have done a fair bit of tunnel and competition RW so this DZ seems to have a faster average fall rate than other DZ's where there is less emphasis on competition RW and less instructors who have a lot of tunnel time.

To answer your question, I never had this problem before, but after a 1 year recovery from broken pelvis (unnecessary front riser dive loops accident), I have lost about 8 pounds and it's taking awhile to put back on ;)

My guess is you lost some of your flexibility from the broken pelvis. Do some exercises to help get it back and be sure and keep your chin up.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals