gowlerk

Melted tube stow residue on canopy

I took a flyer buying an ebay rig. Advertised as a Talon with a PDR 190 and a Triathlon 175. It turned out to be a PDR160 with only 6 packs, and a Diablo 170. And rusted hardware that likely will require a harness rebuild. (but it was cheap!)
The Diablo looks like fun, but this thing has been in storage for 10 years, and the tube stows used on the closing stows have melted and left stains that go right through the top skin and into the bottom skin of the center cell.
Does anybody here have experience with the effect this may have on the material?

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I doubt if melted rubber will damage canopy fabric.

The greatest risk - of melted rubber (locking stows) - is line dump.

There is also a minor risk of melted rubber jamming d-bag grommets, but you seem to be smart enough to clean them off before re-packing...

Thanks,
Yes Rob, I spent all afternoon cleaning it up. And yes, I'll be test jumping the main tomorrow. This Diablo is just like brand new except for the stain on the centre cell. Too bad the cell is lemon yellow, It really shows the stain.

I bought the whole thing for $850. I think I did OK even if I can't save the harness. And I'm starting to think that I can. So I won't be asking for a refund!

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Thanks,
Yes Rob, I spent all afternoon cleaning it up. And yes, I'll be test jumping the main tomorrow. This Diablo is just like brand new except for the stain on the centre cell. Too bad the cell is lemon yellow, It really shows the stain.

I bought the whole thing for $850. I think I did OK even if I can't save the harness. And I'm starting to think that I can. So I won't be asking for a refund!

Ken

What did you clean, and how?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

All the corrosion off the grommets mostly. Emory cloth and a little Brasso as well. Also surface rust spots off the hardware.
The bag grommets were green as were the main slider grommets. Fortunately the reserve did not have any.

I bet you thought I might try to clean the canopy! I thought about it, but as far as I know, there is no way to do so without doing more harm than good.

Ken

All the corrosion off the grommets mostly. Emory cloth and a little Brasso as well. Also surface rust spots off the hardware.
The bag grommets were green as were the main slider grommets. Fortunately the reserve did not have any.

I bet you thought I might try to clean the canopy! I thought about it, but as far as I know, there is no way to do so without doing more harm than good.

Ken

Just making sure :P

Make absolutely sure you get all the brasso off of everything, that shit is bad news if it gets on other things.

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"

Ken

"...................................................

Now coat the exposed steel with clear nail polish ... or whatever shade matches the rest of your make-up Hah! Hah!
Steel parachute hardware has to rust REALLY BAD before it weakens structurally rather the threat is that rust will form rough edges that will gradually fray webbing.