Zeppo

Cookie G2 Vs Phanton

I haven't tried the Phantom, so I can only comment on G2 vs. other helmets.

I have a limited sample size to even try because I am a member of the Freakishly Large Head Club® and only a few helmets fit me. I've tried the Mamba (tried but never wore it in the air) and the FreeZR2 (own one - have put 300+ jumps and probably 10 hours of tunnel wearing it). I now have maybe an hour of tunnel and 25 or so jumps on the G2.

The FreeZR2 visor popped up on me a couple times in freefall, and a couple times in the tunnel. The good news - it didn't fly up and off - it stayed on and was easy enough to get closed (but to close it does require both hands). The bad news was that it opened at all, and this was after a hack to make the pins longer.

One of the things I like about the G2 is that while it takes both hands to open, you can lock it shut with just one hand, and it's a very positive "click" when it closes. With the FreeZR, you've got to feel the latch closing over the pins to know it's closed.

Both have a nice, wide field of vision - I think the two are very comparable, and it's one of the things I like about both helmets.

The G2's audible pocket is much more secure - I lost an audible because the ones in the FreeZR2 allowed the audibles to slip out fairly easily. I wound up "fixing" the problem by putting gaffer's tape over the pocket opening.

As for comfort - I think they're pretty similar. The Cookie is a somewhat smaller and probably a bit lighter, but I don't think it's that different. The Cookie chin cup is much tighter to begin with but as I've worn it I can feel it softening/stretching just a bit so it's more comfortable.

The reason I didn't go with the Mamba is not anything wrong with the helmet itself - I know lots of people who love them, but because it just didn't feel right on my face - I felt like the face shield was too close and it was an uncomfortable feeling for me, just the way my face is shaped. I also didn't like the opening mechanism, but I suppose if I'd spent more time with the helmet I would have gotten used to it.

I bought the G2 even though my FreeZR is still in good shape; the FreeZR's been relegated to the closet now - G2 wins overall for me. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll be picking up my Phantom the next time I go to the DZ. I'll be replacing an Oxygn A3. Before ordering the Phantom, I tried on the Cookie at a boogie.

I too am a member of the freakishly large head group. Both the Cookie and Phantom fit, but I liked the fit of the Phantom better. A teammate tried on both helmets at the same time I did, and he liked the Cookie better, and ordered on of those.

Both the Cookie and Phantom have a better field of vision than most of the old helmets do.

The face shields on both helmets are thicker than the one on my Oxygn. You can change the shield on the Phantom without using tools, in about 15 seconds. The Cookie requires a screwdriver to change the face shield, but even with that, it's MUCH easier to change than the Oxygn is.

In my opinion, both are good helmets, and it will come down to personal fit/preference.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Demoed the Cookie G2 last week in good conditions: bugger fogged up; took it back to the demo-stall, guy cleaned it, put some antifog on the lens, fogged up again in the air. sorry, no cookie for me :|

edit for not being only negative: fit was really nice and snug and I think cookie has come up with a good solution for the lens-hinges. opens and closes really easy. so maybe its a perfect helmet for tunnel flying

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

When it fogs up were you breathing through your nose or mouth? Usually helps a bit if you breath through your nose in terms of fogging up.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I have a G2 and a few of my friends do too. Lots of people complain that they fog which they do. Mine doesn't fog in freefall, it does under canopy so I open the visor until I'm in the pattern (well, just before actually). I've had some friends whose G2s have had the visor open about an inch in free fall and in the tunnel. There seems to be a bit of an issue with the mechanism QA process. Mine's never opened on me and I don't think it will (very solid) but I believe Cookie are looking into this problem.

For me, the G2 mechanism is totally awesome, very solid and works very well. I tried on the Phantom (haven't jumped it) and thought that the release for the visor (has a quick release) was a really good idea but the mechanism doesn't feel as solid as the G2. The G2 is also very good for visibility and people being able to see your face (unless you have a dark visor like me...) you also get the D3O material in the G2 which is a big plus for me. The G2 is pretty expensive though.

I think trying them on is a good idea to see which fits you better. Demoing them (if you can) is even better so that you can get an idea of what each helmet is like. Ultimately, it's a very subjective decision.

I have a G2 and a few of my friends do too. Lots of people complain that they fog which they do. Mine doesn't fog in freefall, it does under canopy so I open the visor until I'm in the pattern (well, just before actually). I've had some friends whose G2s have had the visor open about an inch in free fall and in the tunnel. There seems to be a bit of an issue with the mechanism QA process. Mine's never opened on me and I don't think it will (very solid) but I believe Cookie are looking into this problem.

I'm curious why you put your visor back down in the pattern. I put mine up as soon as I have clear airspace under canopy (it's one of my "housekeeping" items) and don't put it back down till I'm on the ground and taking the helmet off.

So far I've not had fogging issues with it - but then again if the fogging only happens under canopy, my visor's already up at that point. As for freefall, I've not jumped it in particularly cold or humid weather (warm, dry, CA spring/summer so far) so no fogging. I do wait to put the visor down till jut before exit, which also minimizes the fogging risk.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm curious why you put your visor back down in the pattern. I put mine up as soon as I have clear airspace under canopy (it's one of my "housekeeping" items) and don't put it back down till I'm on the ground and taking the helmet off.

+1, whenever I jump my Z1, I open the visor after I open up, and leave it open for the flight. I don't like things infront of my eyes for landing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't like things infront of my eyes for landing.

Me neither. I found that with the FreeZR2, the visor messed up my (already not-so-great) depth perception just enough that it had a negative impact on my landings. Maybe I would have gotten used to it, but I figured it was better just to raise the visor. Don't know if the G2's visor would have the same impact because I've always raised it and kept it up. Plus, I can hear a little more and get fresh air in.

2 reasons:
1. I'm swooping (poorly ;)) so my speed can make my eyes water sometimes (or maybe I'm crying because my landing sucks again?)
2. Bugs, foreign objects - I don't want them in my eyes while I'm negotiating traffic and trying to land safely.

I don't have any issues with the visor changing my vision - I've been riding motorcycles for a while so maybe I got used to a visor. The visor on the G2 is meant to be similar quality to motorcycle visor which means that the visual distortion factor is meant to be very limited.