bmsbase

Gear Sale concerns anyone ?

Is anyone selling gear or ---
knows of someone selling gear and ---
the person buying the gear sends twice the amount of the asking price for the gear and then looks to have the excess sent back to them ?
thanks
blaine

You should get them to send the check to you, then let your bank confirm it is a fraud (may take a long time), telling them as you turn it in that you think it is.

Why do this? The fraudsters have to spend money to send it to you. Then keep leading them on as if you're going to send them money back.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There's a link on the classifieds home page for buyer scams There's also an entire forum here Security and Scam Alerts

You should check these out before selling on the classifieds. They may save you headaches and/or money.

Basically, the scenario you mention is quite commonplace and easy to spot. Some will tell you to mess with them and lead them on. I prefer to not even contact them. They don't have your email address until you respond to their notification. Their notification, sent by DZ.com, is usually a tipoff that they are a scammer. I've posted here with some tips on what to look for from a scammer.

But please do report the user to [email protected] so other users don't have to deal with the same scammer along the way.

edit: fixed a link
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Why not just require a certified check or money order as payment? That way the buyer has to pay up front through their bank before sending the check?

Or they could just using a laser printer, create a fake bank check or money order which you wouldn't know until after you sent them the 'excess' funds by Western Union. When you sent money by Western Union, you can't get a refund for fraud and it's almost impossible to trace the culprits.

I own a webmail system and have seen this scheme run many times - buying used cars with this is a big thing. I've busted accounts where it was apparent they'd already scammed 10's of thousands of dollars.

Our community is small enough that anyone buying/selling gear should be able to do it through a rigger. Look them up here, contact the DZO there will be some trace within the community. If not they're probably in Nigeria and have never seen or packed a rig before.

-Michael