dgw

New technique for a pilotchute in tow???

>I wanted to take my arms out of the relative wind to enourage
>getting horizontal faster . . .

That puts you head-down to the relative wind, and is probably something that should be avoided generally. Even during hop and pops you want to avoid going head down, and instead stay stable into the relative wind.

Then apparently you haven't been reading the conversation... There were three to four wraps of the lines from my reserve around my main risers. Luckily the reserve stayed in the freebag and I caught it and stuffed it down my shirt before I had enough forward speed to finish removing the freebag from the reserve... I landed with a reserve PC in tow.

> Then apparently you haven't been reading the conversation...

I have been. Dual deployments (mainly from cypres firings) are now pretty common, and are generally not a big deal. We've had people land with two outs, with reserve PC's in tow, and with 'towed' freebags - generally with few problems. The biggest problems I've seen with this are a) people who try to cut away and have their mains foul the reserve (almost happened to Mad John) and people who mess with the two-out too much (i.e. trying to flare one or both canopies.)

Does this mean that you'll never have a problem with a dual deployment? No - you can still have a nasty entanglement that could well cause you serious problems. But going by history, you're generally OK with two out.

In terms of cutting away from a PCIT, to me it depends on riser covers. If you have good riser covers and the altitude, then cutting away is generally a good idea. If you don't have the altitude, or you don't have good riser covers, then going straight to reserve is generally the best plan.

In terms of cutting away from a PCIT, to me it depends on riser covers. If you have good riser covers and the altitude, then cutting away is generally a good idea. If you don't have the altitude, or you don't have good riser covers, then going straight to reserve is generally the best plan.

Bill, will you elaborate please?
Sorry, but I do not understand…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Bill, will you elaborate please?
Sorry, but I do not understand…

What Bill is saying is that with poor riser covers if you cut away with a PCIT or a total mal., the main risers could possibly come out of there covers giving your reserve PC more crap to get tangled in.

DO SOMETHING! BUT...

I am not going to waste my time cutting away. I know how to deal with 2 out. If the main deploys it is more likely to end up in a 2 out configuration than an entanglement. And if they DO entangle, I think they will be far more controllable with the main risers attached to my harness than fouled in some nasty fashion in my reserve suspension lines.

>Bill, will you elaborate please?

If you have cruddy riser covers, and you cut away, and you're unstable, there is a good chance the risers will detach and float around right above your reserve container, waiting to snag things that come out.

For example, if you had a PC in tow on a CRW jump, and couldn't clear it, I would suggest you do NOT cut away - there will be an awful lot of junk trailing behind you if you do.

A local rigger posed another variable that adds some complexity as well.

What about with a skyhook?

Out of sequence deployments are a real peach when it comes down to it... I believe the official UPT answer is do not cutaway prior to deployment of your reserve. Correct me if I'm wrong but that was what I believe Mark Procos answered.

There are a number of reasons for this mal to occur. A different rigger showed me how he primes his main pin so that the eyelet of the pin is clear of the final flap's grommet. This applies to any rig. When you close your rig and just shove the pin home all the way, the eyelet can interfere with the pin rotating upwards and in the right or wrong kind of luck, end up lodging itself in the center of the grommet to the point where it requires considerably more force to be pulled. I've done 200 jumps in a row closing my rig in this fashion and haven't had a single hesitation or PC drag.