skybytch

Demo Canopy Question

If someone dies after hooking themselves in under a demo canopy and said canopy is returned to the manufacturer covered in blood, who pays for it to be cleaned?

3rd party liability insurance ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If this is a serious question, my guess would be the manufacturer probably has a demo 'contract' that states the demo-ee is responsible for loss or damage, and they probably have a credit card on file that was used to pay the demo fee (and if the mfg is smart, the contract states that the CC is used to cover any loss or damage).

If this is a real question, I don't know. I would guess the manufacturer might try to clean it, but blood isn't known for coming out fabric 'completely', and I doubt they would want to send out a blood stained demo canopy. I guess they would write it off, and maybe offer it to an employee or friend of the manufacturer for free or steeply discoutned.

If it is a real question, it's another sad layer to an already sad story.

Serious question prompted by curiosity, not an actual event.

Assume the canopy isn't returned to the manufacturer until after the deceased's credit cards have been canceled - I have no idea how long it generally takes for that to happen.

And you bring up another good question - what would a manufacturer do with a blood covered demo canopy?

Serious question prompted by curiosity, not an actual event.

Assume the canopy isn't returned to the manufacturer until after the deceased's credit cards have been canceled - I have no idea how long it generally takes for that to happen.

And you bring up another good question - what would a manufacturer do with a blood covered demo canopy?

Of all the fatalities I've witnessed none of the canopies were 'covered in blood'.

A small stain that looks like coffee sometimes, but Mafia Hit type evidence really doesn't happen, unless some uses the canopy as a mop.

Containers on the other hand...well, there was a REASON for the old 'bounce & blend' color schemes!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You could sue the jumper's estate for the cost of the canopy, but the legal fees would cost you more than the canopy. So that's a waste of time.

The mfr can try and clean the canopy, and then sell it used to recoup some of their loss. Failing that, just throw it away. This doesn't happen often enough to be an ongoing problem, and hopefully it would be a one of a kind type event.

I would think there would be some clause in the contract you sign for a demo canopy that you agree to pay for any damages to the canopy other than normal wear and tear. But trying to collect that from a dead man's estate - forget about it.

Raffle prize...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

If someone dies after hooking themselves in under a demo canopy and said canopy is returned to the manufacturer covered in blood, who pays for it to be cleaned?

Pre-authorize the credit card for the cost of the canopy (with renters permission). Once the canopy is returned, charge the rental fee. If the canopy is not returned, convert the authorization into a charge.

Fairly SOP, think of what they do at hotels.
re : http://www.3rdpartyprocessors.com/creditcardpreauthorization.shtml