peckerhead

Doesn't any one pack?

Um, I like packing! When I told an instructor that he asked me if I have Asberger's Syndrome!

What's WRONG with you?! LOL! Good on ya..although very strange.

I've only paid someone to pack a couple times. Partly because I think of the money I could be using for jumps (particularly if it's Merrick and I both paying) and partly because I'm pissed off that I still suck at it. Granted I've had too many on and off times in skydiving so the off times slow me down again, but I want to be at least decent at all aspects, including packing. *shrug*

Pammi

I'm hung like Einstein and smart as a horse

I can't speak to the intelligence of horses, but Albert Einstein was, apparently, a pretty horny guy who fathered (at least) one child out-of-wedlock back in the times that this was seriously frowned upon.
Richard Feynman, another Nobel winning physicist, was also a well known stud, as is Francis Crick (the DNA double helix guy).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't pay packers because too many packers suck.

For those jumpers too lazy to pack for themselves, remember this:
Packers are lazy too.
For those in a hurry to make the next load, remember this:
Packers are in a hurry, too, to make the next pack job.

My momma always said "Packer pack jobs are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."

My favourite packer peeves:
- Walking on lines.
- Using mats to get the air out, then standing on the mat.
- Using tools other than a pullup cord.
- Taking up space that self-packers could be using either by literally claiming the space or by piling unpacked rigs everywhere.

Just because they have 2000 or 20000 pack jobs does not mean they've been doing it correctly all that time.

This doesn't apply to all packers, but to enough that I generally won't use them.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I don't pay packers because too many packers suck.

For those jumpers too lazy to pack for themselves, remember this:
Packers are lazy too.
For those in a hurry to make the next load, remember this:
Packers are in a hurry, too, to make the next pack job.

My momma always said "Packer pack jobs are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."

My favourite packer peeves:
- Walking on lines.
- Using mats to get the air out, then standing on the mat.
- Using tools other than a pullup cord.
- Taking up space that self-packers could be using either by literally claiming the space or by piling unpacked rigs everywhere.

Just because they have 2000 or 20000 pack jobs does not mean they've been doing it correctly all that time.

This doesn't apply to all packers, but to enough that I generally won't use them.

Both of my regular packers are senior riggers. I hope they know more about packing than I do.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I can and often will pack my own Spectre which has 700 jumps on it, but my new Sabre2 which is nothing more than a smilie mess when I'm done I give to a trusted packer at my DZ. It isn't worth the frustration and aggrivation I get from packing it. I did pack it once yesterday and it is getting better so i figure I have about 10-20 more paid pack jobs on her before I can handle it without loosing my religion and patience.

I do enjoy paying a packer at boogies and Big Way stuff because it gives me time to unwind and plan for the next round of fun.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

i have about 500 jumps and have probably actually packed about 1000 times. we're a small dz and have a lot of students who come out. we don't have packers for hire, we help the students learn to pack and then discount one of our jumps.

I pack my own main. What's more, since I don't own a rig and have to rent demo gear, I assemble my rig myself. I tell people it "builds character" but it does. If you don't pack your own rig, you're not in touch with your gear. You don't KNOW what it's up to. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but so's a good part of life.

I don't doubt that a packer can do a decent job and that it will open. But I'm from the days when our sport was more populated by working stiffs, who'd be ashamed to let somebody else pack their rig. It's just more of the snotty "serve us" economy.

I did once pay a packer to help me bag a brand new canopy, because it was slicker than snail snot and I could not bag the fuckin' thing. And if you're on a serious team jumping 10 times a day, I can see where video debrief is more important and a team packer can be part of the training budget. But regular Joe & Jane jumpers should get off their pampered asses and pack their own fuckin' rigs for Gawd's sake !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

my rituals include pack time.

I show up see whos around and get on a load.(b/c my rig is ALWAYS PACKED BEFORE I LEAVE THE DZ)

we plan the dive,do the dive, talk about the dive on the walk /ride back to the dz and then I pack. as we talk about whats next etc....

then when Im done I fill out my log book!

my dz is small so there no pressure when it comes to time. if I am not done packing I dont like to manifest!

Well said. Exactly what I'm shooting for. Hopefully my pack class (put off the last three weeks) will happen next weekend when I do my coach jumps.

After that, I plan on packing everyone of mine. Main Reason?

I WANT TO KNOW WHATS IN THE BACK PACK. Lines, Connectors, EVERYTHING. EVERYTIME.

Control Freak You Say?

Oh Well... 21 jumps to date and haven't Mal'd yet, but if/when I throw out a bag of shit, it'll be my bag of shit. lol.

:D

Opposite of that? I'm sure I'll drop a fiver now and then. Our packers are really good at it, and they jump as well, so I'm comfortable. Hell, I'll credit all my nonMal jumps to them so far!

I want to make it part of what I do too though.

jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Well... I disagree. I have packed for myself over 1500 times. That's enough. Someone else can do it - and if they can't - I can get it done in about 5 min.

We don't expect CEO's to service their own cars. Lets do what keeps us in the air - and provide income for others to enter the sport.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've never used a packer (besides the 2 or 3 jumps at another dz that wouldn't allow students to pack their rental gear) and think I've packed about 500 chutes or so. Always packing my own for the 200+ jumps I've made with my gear so far, and always packing a few student canopies in the weekends...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Control Freak You Say?

Oh Well... 21 jumps to date and haven't Mal'd yet, but if/when I throw out a bag of shit, it'll be my bag of shit. lol.

:D

Opposite of that? I'm sure I'll drop a fiver now and then. Our packers are really good at it, and they jump as well, so I'm comfortable. Hell, I'll credit all my nonMal jumps to them so far!

I want to make it part of what I do too though.

jack

286 jumps b4 my 1st mal. and it qwas totally my fault I was a dumbass for over looking my clothing. hold on Ill link the post here
My photos

My Videos

I like people that don't pack for themselves because I am the packer at my DZ and I usually make anywhere from $150.00 to $650.00 in 2 days. Yes, it is hard work but good money. When I was unemployed for 7 months this was my living. Well add the unemployment at $328.00 per week and that was my living. I think most month I average about $800.00 to $1000.00 per month just packing on weekends. This does make it harder for me to jump 10 to 20 times a weekend like I used to but I am making good money (which is needed since I am a single mom) but I do still get to jump and I enjoy packing most days.
Samantha Weaver

I pack pretty much no matter what since my DZ has no paid packers. Some local high school student could make a killing on a summer weekend. Even tandems get packed my tandem instructors. This is one reason i'm hesitating to buy a brand new ZP canopy... I'll have to pack it from day 1. In a few years, when i'm a millionaire (I should probably start buying lottery tickets, huh?), I'll hire my own personal packer. Till then, I'm on my own.

Dave

I have only paid for 3 pack jobs since getting my A licenes. They happen to be my last 3 packs only because I have a brand new zero p & I cant get the damn thing in the bag!
It was fun this weekend watching my freinds try & fail at getting it!
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

We don't expect CEO's to service their own cars.

No, but they should be able to pump their own gas, check the oil, put air in the tires. They should even be able to change a tire.

Lets do what keeps us in the air - and provide income for others to enter the sport.

Their income is their problem. This isn't a charity. I give enough of my own time and money on paying my own slot for coach jumps, etc.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I have packed for myself over 1500 times. That's enough.

ROFL!

I agree. I've still got way more pack jobs than I do jumps, and I've packed maybe 6 times in my last 200 jumps. Until I have more jumps than I do pack jobs, I'll keep paying the nice people to do it for me.

I think most month I average about $800.00 to $1000.00 per month just packing on weekends.

The few packers we have at Raeford make anywhere to 3-4K a month packing for the school and/or the knights. We can't get enough packers here, so for all you packers looking to make the $$ might want to make a call.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING