peckerhead

Doesn't any one pack?

I think it is sooo sad that packing your OWN friggin parachute is considered UN-cool

I got off a load and every toad wanted to "post-dive" and get ready to manifest.....I sez, " I will be right with ya after I pack.

They look at me like I am speaking chineese or something..... You are going to PACK?

What is wrong with you?!!!!!

JUst give some kid 5 bucks and lets go skydive you ignorant twit!!!!

We have more important things to do than PACK!!!!!

I can't do it folks, go jump without me while I pack my own damn self,

More later,

Hoss

I pack... I give to pack very rarely... on my 340 jumps, I did approx 315 pack jobs (15 in Empuria because of rental gear, packing included, another 5 cause I had no time between debriefing/biefing/hopping on the plane, the rest were rounds/tandems)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

and offer to pack my girlfriends when ever I can

Can I be your girlfriend?

Most times I pack for myself. While at the WFFC I'm busy doing the LO thing and don't have a lot of time between jumps. That's when I use a packer that I know.
What works for me is that I start packing as soon as I land, let the excitement of the skydive carry over to me packing. It's just part of the skydive for me. I'd rather save the money and spend it on another skydive or to buy some beer.
It really is a shame that there are so many people that don't know how to pack. While at a recent event in Perris Valley, there was a jumper that had tangled his main up, and had no idea how to untangle it. Sad, very sad. If you stay current packing you will know how to do that, plus while packing your own canopy you know what maintenance needs to be done on the canopy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

:S???Exscuse me???
Most folks I know pack for themselves, it seems to me that people who rely on packers are in the vast minority. They are teams, big way participants,highly active groups,organizers and people with more money than sense.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

i find it that this happens at bigger dz's... me on the otherhand for the first 200 jumps i always packed for myself, but sometimes i just don't feel like packing and i'll pay somebody to do it...... of course this is when i'm fat on cash and can afford it...if i'm almost broke i'm the one doing it.. i'd say i pack for myself about 95% of the time....... also depends.. am i on "vacation" at another dz... maybe i'll treat myself to a day free of packing parachutes fr myself........ otherdays i'm packing at my dz to make some extra ber money..........

i never payed for anything else than the reserve pack.i rather use the mony at jumps,besides,as i pack i can inspect my gear,knows when somthing should be made. I have only my self to blame for the mal´s i had and hopefuly not get.

I do understand why team´s using packers,but for fun jump.. hmm

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I would definitely say that I have the absolute opposite perception. When I bought my canopy it was so large, slippery, and self inflating that it packing it totally stressed me out. So I took a few people's advice and let someone else pack it for the first 50 or so jumps. Problem is that the pack class I had taken to get my A license wasn't so fresh in my head after I put 50 jumps on it and I knew it would take me like 40+ minutes to pack it so I just said to hell with it let them keep packing. Now I'm known as the skydiver that can't pack. Of all my 315+ jumps I think I've packed 5 of my own. I keep telling myself I am going to get refresher training and at least pack for myself on occasion but I never do. I think that people who pack for themselves are a couple notches higher on the coolness scale. Especially now that I'm flying a BirdMan suit which requires slight modifications on my pack job. So you're the Fonz in my book.

Remind me when we're in Eloy and I'll give you a refresher on packing and Birdman friendly tricks of the trade.

The only time I don't pack for myself is during work jumps(it's covered) or when I'm on big ways and we're debriefing and dirt diving for the next go around. Otherwise I pack it myself. Even then, I still make sure to explain to the packer how I want my nose folded and D bag in the container.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Remind me when we're in Eloy and I'll give you a refresher on packing and Birdman friendly tricks of the trade.

Thanks Lou, that's real nice of you to offer to do that. I'd be a real jackass to refuse. I just hope the poor packers at my home DZ don't starve to death afterwards.

Um, I like packing! When I told an instructor that he asked me if I have Asberger's Syndrome!:D:D:D

My packing isn't actually signed off on my card yet, so I still need people to do my checks, and since I haven't started the struggle with ZP yet my opinion may change.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I do my own pack jobs at my home DZ, but when I'm at a boogie, I pay somebody else to do it for me. A boogie is a vacation of sorts...

:D
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

IF you keep packing for yourself, you'll be able to pack fast enough that they wont even notice. I land close, walk in and have my canopy in the bag before most people are off the field. Then they are the jealous ones when they can't make a load because the packer can't get to them in time.

People who only learn well enough to pass their A-license and can't even remember how to after another 20 jumps are the ones who aren't cool.

I really, really hate packing and didn't do it for my first 250 jumps. I liked being able to sit around and rest or socialize in between jumps instead of grunting and sweating in the FL humidity. Then, Chopchop came to town and taught me how to psycho pack. I still grunt, sweat and cuss while I'm doing it, but it is getting easier, I am getting faster and I do have a sense of accomplishment when I'm done. Plus, when I figured out that I had already saved $300 this year from packing on my own, it really gave me the incentive to continue!

One of my friends came through the packing tent one day and said, "Man, Andrea, I just can't get used to seeing you pack. You used to be such a princess....now what am I going to tease you about?" :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Over 3000 jumps now..and ive packed every single one of them...and a few others for friends.....when i started jumping...if you didn't pack....you didn't jump.
i can't explain people who use a packer all the time...i work to hard for the little money i got to pay an extra $50.00 a weekend for a packer.

Well, slap my momma-

I have never packed. I have tried, but my wrists suck real bad and it becomes painful when doing some packing details.

Another problem with my wrists is I cant wait all day hangin on the outside bar. In fact, I have come real damn close to losing it and taking all of us out on count 2 many times.

One God skydiver here in Houston gave me his 'sticky' baseball gloves to try. (NO!! he really is a skydiving God, believe that) The gloves helped me hang on better.

<>

The over all feeling I got from not packing all these years has remained pretty constant. You suck, you are a lozer, you are inferior and then I get the rolling of the eyes.

I noticed that (by those unknown to me) I was lumped in with a small group of non packin women that tends to indicate they are too delicate and might break a fingernail if they packed. >:(

Now, sloowly that has evolved to I am too good to pack. Yet this is a tiny population of persons, last I checked. A couple of girls I noticed are real proud of the fact they have some hired hand doing it. That is another thing I dont want to be associated with.

I wish I could pack. I have missed quite a few loads because I cant.

However, I wouldnt trust any pack job done by me. Again, I have tried, but abandoned the project for a professional. My man is familiar with my canopy and can make that dang thing act right. Worth more than $5 to me.

~AirAnn~

my rituals include pack time.

I show up see whos around and get on a load.(b/c my rig is ALWAYS PACKED BEFORE I LEAVE THE DZ)

we plan the dive,do the dive, talk about the dive on the walk /ride back to the dz and then I pack. as we talk about whats next etc....

then when Im done I fill out my log book!

my dz is small so there no pressure when it comes to time. if I am not done packing I dont like to manifest!
My photos

My Videos

I can understand people who dont usually pack due to the high number fo jumps they do, but its just wrong that there are people who have never packed in their life and wouldnt have a clue how to do it.e

Its just about the only way to learn how a canopy deploys and how differnt techniques can affect it (i.e. pulling the slider over the nose, rolling the nose etc)