jraylitt

New Gear

I have spent the last few months looking for a nice used rig with no success. I guess I'm too picky! So, I'm going new.
Looking at the Icon pro I6 with all the bells and whistles, Pilot 210 and smart 190. I'm Thinking this will allow me to get the most bang for my buck as far as down sizing goes. Would I be correct?
Helpful advice only please. Also, should I expect to pay MSRP or is there deals to be had?

Hey, Joe -

Your best bet is to talk to the instructors at your DZ. Without knowing your exit weight, what type of canopies you've been flying, etc, no one online can really tell you what will help you get the most "bang for your buck" as far as downsizing goes.

(Ultimately, the most bang for your buck is going to be a canopy that gets you down to the ground safely.) ;)

Re: your other question, most dealers offer prices a little below the MSRP, and some offer package deals that are even less expensive. Talk to your local dealer and they can give you more info.

Signatures are the new black.

I was in the same boat and i was days away from ordering a new container. I had found a few used but nothing had fit me correctly. Then out of the blue i was taliking to one of the TI's at the dz and he had a rig that fit me like a glove and had the conopy sizes i neeeded too! Dont give up to quick, unlees of course you have money falling out of your ass and have the coin to spend on new gear, in which case go for it!!!!;);)

Wait , I pull what first?

I was in the same boat and i was days away from ordering a new container. I had found a few used but nothing had fit me correctly. Then out of the blue i was taliking to one of the TI's at the dz and he had a rig that fit me like a glove and had the conopy sizes i neeeded too! Dont give up to quick, unlees of course you have money falling out of your ass and have the coin to spend on new gear, in which case go for it!!!!;);)

This. Plus, giving up on one component (say, a container) does not mean giving up on the other components. You may choose to order a new custom built container but find canopies and an AAD used.

To the OP - where have you been looking? If it's only in the "Complete Systems" section of the classifieds here, you're missing out on the possibility of pulling together individual components. If you haven't contacted all the large gear dealers to see what they have in stock, you may be missing out on available used components. What you're looking for in terms of canopy sizes is definitely not "out there" in terms of what's on the market, so make sure you're looking under all the right rocks.

Oh, and can I ask why you're looking at getting a reserve that's smaller than your main?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I feel I have pretty much exhausted every resource. I've looked at piecing things together from drop zones, classifieds,
ebay, word of mouth, etc. Sometimes I get close but no cigar.
Instructors at the two drop zones I jump from are always to busy to talk about gear and best options!!
I realize the Master Rigger at my local DZ would be the best go to guy. However he is not on my speed dial. So at the risk of ridicule I'm posting here in hopes that you fine folks can shed some light on my situation.
I'm 205 with clothes on plus gear whatever that is? probably 25 lbs or so. I'm currently under a 220 canopy and feel confident with that canopy. So in my novice opinion I'm thinking about the Icon I6 jamming a 210 in it
ZPX if needed. Then downsizing as time and experience progress. I should be able to downsize twice. Would that make the expense of new gear worth it. Longevity ( bang for the buck)

So in my novice opinion I'm thinking about the Icon I6 jamming a 210 in it ZPX if needed.

I don't know the size compatability of the I6, but if you're thinking about jamming a couple big canopies in it... have fun with that. It'll probably look stuffed, feel like a brick, and be a bitch to close. Not to mention that no rigger likes to 'jam' a reserve into a tight container.

ETA: Looks like a 210 is a 'tight' fit while it's probably just fine, you'll get to be a pretty good packer. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I feel I have pretty much exhausted every resource. I've looked at piecing things together from drop zones, classifieds,
ebay, word of mouth, etc. Sometimes I get close but no cigar.
Instructors at the two drop zones I jump from are always to busy to talk about gear and best options!!
I realize the Master Rigger at my local DZ would be the best go to guy. However he is not on my speed dial. So at the risk of ridicule I'm posting here in hopes that you fine folks can shed some light on my situation.
I'm 205 with clothes on plus gear whatever that is? probably 25 lbs or so. I'm currently under a 220 canopy and feel confident with that canopy. So in my novice opinion I'm thinking about the Icon I6 jamming a 210 in it
ZPX if needed. Then downsizing as time and experience progress. I should be able to downsize twice. Would that make the expense of new gear worth it. Longevity ( bang for the buck)

Best way to get their time is to show up early in the morning before the first load goes up. Or hand out later and have beer and discuss. At least that has work well at the DZ I jump at. Bonus you'll make some fun new friends. I hear you on the hard to find stuff. I finally got lucky a few weeks ago but I was looking for close to 4 months.