1 1
NovaTTT

Thoughts on Consew 99

Hi Nova,

I cannot offer any info on that particular machine.

You could call Consew & ask: 212-741-7788

That is an east coast number.

My take on any machine is 'will it do the work that I want it to do.'

Give it a try & see what happens.

I have two z-z machines, one for very light-weight stuff ( pilot chutes, etc ) and one for container/harness work.

They both do the work that I want them to do.

I have two Consew machines and like them both very much. IMO great machines.

JerryBaumchen

PS) What will you use it for?

Thanks for the replies. ;) In response:

I'm going to use this mainly for lines and ligh/medium work such as PC bridles. I don't know if it's suitable for heavy work although I know it is not suitable for very light work. She said the walking foot ate the hell out of some material she was working on (garment alterations) so she hasn't used it in a few years.

It must be a 99R because she said it is reversible. The only "downside" is the motor won't last but I've already found a servo for $125 so that's actually an improvement.

Asking only $250 for a working machine so I'm happy with the price - and she's going to throw in an old straight stitch machine (head only). Even with the new servo motor it's a great price.

From what I'm hearing it's a reasonably suitable machine.

Terry, what issues are you wary of with the presser foot lift? My only experience is with and old Singer 20u and a Consew 3115RB. Both were fine so I don't have any experience with messed up lifters.

Cheers!

Nova

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I don't know if it's suitable for heavy work although I know it is not suitable for very light work. She said the walking foot ate the hell out of some material she was working on (garment alterations) so she hasn't used it in a few years.

Be careful here, either you or her do not understand the term "walking foot" This is not a walking foot machine, it only has bottom or "drop feed". It may have very aggressive feed dogs that damaged material. But that would not be a problem, because if it was you would simply change them out.

I don't actually know of any walking foot ZZ machines. They may exist, but I've not seen one.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I don't actually know of any walking foot ZZ machines.

There are several walking foot zigs out there. They aren't as common as a standard drop feed zig. The Consew 146rb comes to mind as an example of a walking foot zig from the same company.

Nova,
The 99 is the earlier version of the now 199 Series.
It is a little lighter duty than the 199's.

I know it is not suitable for very light work. She said the walking foot ate the hell out of some material she was working on (garment alterations) so she hasn't used it in a few years.

If it is in fact a 99, it is a drop-feed machine, not a walking foot unit.

Terry, what issues are you wary of with the presser foot lift?

The lift height of the presser foot is about 9/16 of an inch. Just a shade under the 20U but this can be adjusted a little bit from the stock setting.

The 99 feeds the material better than the 20U IMHO.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Thanks all for the further and useful replies.

I've not seen the machine yet but the seller, a 20+ year seamstress with a full alteration shop (meaning many machines), described this C99 as having a "true" walking foot.

Maybe she's referring to just the lower feed dogs and isn't certain of terminology; I won't know until I see the machine.

But does anyone know what she means by "true" walking foot?

Thanks again - this is very helpful!

Cheers!

ETA: I meant to mention above that I would think "true" walking foot means an actual upper feed dogs - something worth mentioning. Maybe it's an add-on? Is this possible?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I got a look at the machine today. It is a Consew 99 (Japanese) with reverse and a walking foot.

The head is in very good shape. The table is just fair and will need replacing as there is a crack/split behind the belt through-hole and the bobbin winder is not attached. The motor is servicable but questionable (it blew out the outlet when the machine was turned on!) so I will replace it with a servo.

$250! ;)

ETA: I'll post some photos this weekend after I find a spot for it in the loft.

Some photos of the walking foot Consew 99R ZZ (Japanese) I picked up for $250. It seems to need only a cleaning and oiling.

I have a servo motor, a light and a spool stand on the way. After I refinish or replace the table top it'll be in business.

:)

Some photos of the walking foot Consew 99R ZZ (Japanese)

I can't quite make out if it has a inner foot or not?
...or does it just have the standard foot mounted to the presser bar that moves.

I have never seen a machine like that anyway.

MEL

Here are some more photos of the WF on this machine.

99-04 shows the linkage that operates the WF

99-05 shows the attachment of the WF to the presser foot

99-06 shows the end-on view of the assembly

99-07 shows a the WF and the presser foot (raised)

99-08 shows the WF separated from the presser foot (raised)

99-09 shows the WF separated from the presser foot (down)

Here are some more photos of the WF on this machine

Wow.
Looks alot like the workings of a 146RB.
Hopefully the 146 Parts will fit if you ever need them.

In reviewing my parts books from various suppliers, I found no listings or parts for a walking foot Model 99, only drop feed parts.

If you noticed, there is no sub-class numbering on the machine. The label simply has Model 99 on it.

Usually to separate the different versions, the manufacturers use a sub-class numbering like on the 199...i.e. 199-1A (304 stitch), 199-2A(308 stitch), 199-3A (312 stitch)and etc...

This all makes me wonder if this was a early prototype of the 146 or simply a very special order for a customer somewhere......

MEL

Hi, MEL.

I had no idea it is an unusual machine when I talked about it with the seamstress from whom I purchased.

I haven't as yet found any literature on it; no manual, no discussions, no anything. I'll keep looking but I suppose I'll have to compare it with the 146 manual. Sure will be nice if parts are compatible.

After getting it up and running I'll work on learning what I can about the machine and the history of it.

'Til then, anyone's thoughts, recollections or experience with a Consew 99 in this configuration sure would be appreciated - and interesting!

That looks like a tank, have you had a chance to put it thru its paces yet?

I just got a Sailrite LSZ-1 that punched thru 6 or 8 layers of TY-8, still working on getting the fine tuning down. (shreads the thread in reverse) but yours looks even beefier than the LSZ-1!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's definately a solid, heavy machine, Ski.

Unfortunately the table it came in is shit, as is the motor. As just one example, you can see from the photos the four corner supports for the head are in poor shape. Frankly, except for taking the photos I'm not leaving in the table because I don't trust the two pulley end supports won't fail. They wobble and shake like a freshman co-ed at a Friday night frat party.

One nice thing about the table, however, is that it is 60" which gives tons of room for working. But I haven't decided if I'm going to get a new table and stand for this machine. If I do then I'll refinish this table and fit it for my wife's Kenmore she's uses for quilting.

For now I'm going to drop it into the table my 3115 sits in and see how it performs and learn how to adjust the components for different uses. I anticipate tearing up some materials before I get it zeroed in!

For now I'm going to drop it into the table my 3115 sits in and see how it performs and learn how to adjust the components for different uses. I anticipate tearing up some materials before I get it zeroed in!

Sadly my LSZ is smaller than my 31-15 so I don't get a warm fuzzy with putting it in the table. I have been putting off buying a table for it, but it looks like I will have to sooner or later.

Does it have provisions for a knee bar to lift the presser foot? That's one thing I will be working on make happen when I do mount mine on a table... it's kind of sad to get used to it then not have it, and still push your knee over to try! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The table is in poor condition - the formica laminate is badly split in a few places, the head mounts are shot, the motor needs an overhaul. The H stand is OK; old but sound.

The unit has a knee lifter and treadle which both work fine but they're old and I prefer the feel of the newer ones, probably because I've only worked with relatively new and newer machines. I may replace them, I may not.

I have a C550 servo on the way as well as a light and a spool stand. That should at least get the unit up and running.

I've found Westchester is a good source for table and stand supplies, although I bought the servo from a different seller ($30 less). You might find a table and stand for your Sailrite!

Well it's been 6 weeks and the table top finally came in. Now if they'll only ship the K-stand and hardware!! :S

I'll get the servo mounted this weekend and hopefully the stand will arrive next week . . . and then I can put this machine through its paces!! :)