billvon

Holy war

From CNN:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are defending a new deputy undersecretary of defense "who has reportedly cast the war on terror" in religious terms.

Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin, whose promotion and appointment was confirmed by the Senate in June, has said publicly that he sees the war on terrorism as a clash between Judeo-Christian values and Satan, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Appearing in dress uniform before a religious group in Oregon in June, Boykin said Islamic extremists hate the United States "because we're a Christian nation, because our foundation and our roots are Judeo-Christians. ... And the enemy is a guy named Satan."
--------------------

Here is a summary of events the last time Judeo-Christians went to war with a "satan".

OK, it's their job to defend this dickhead. After that, it's also their job to make sure he either:
a. apologizes for his "misconstrued" statements and never opens his mouth again
b. no longer has this job, so he can take the Pat Robertson/Jerry Springer tour

>:(

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, if you ask those that are "terrorists" that are waging a "jihad" against us, you'll note that most of them will say that it is a holy war against us, infidels, because of the very culture we have, which is built upon...anyone...anyone...Judeo-Christian values! Don't get guilty about it people. For a minute if you think that Gen. Boykin's comments are going to inflame anything in the middle east, look again.

We are the great satan...don't you remember?! How it is that people have trouble picking a side is beyond me. [:/]
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

True enough but his comments can be used as a recruiting tool because it reinforces what the jihad preachers are saying. I think it would be better if he hadn't said it given the way it can be manipulated by those that he is fighting.

My 2 cents.

David

>Well, if you ask those that are "terrorists" that are waging a "jihad"
> against us, you'll note that most of them will say that it is a holy war
> against us . . .

. . . and as Arabs go, those people have been in the minority. Now we have a US official saying that we think there _is_ a jihad to be fought. I fear that does not bode well for the future. Are we really going to convince them not to fight that jihad, when we come out and say _we're_ going to fight it?

Take the opposite approach. Let's say that the government of Pakistan claims that all Arabs must defend Islam against the "Satans" of other religions who bomb and shoot them. Think we would take that as a positive or negative development in the war on terror?

What if he's right though?

Killing for god? I didn't know he needed help.

Seriously, you have to be skeptical of anyone claiming moral superiority and supposed higher ground when war is involved. I don't think anyone's god would sign off on war or killing. IMO "satan" is on both sides of any war. War is a reality but lets not bullshit ourselves.

>Well, if you ask those that are "terrorists" that are waging a "jihad"
> against us, you'll note that most of them will say that it is a holy war
> against us . . .

. . . and as Arabs go, those people have been in the minority. Now we have a US official saying that we think there _is_ a jihad to be fought. I fear that does not bode well for the future. Are we really going to convince them not to fight that jihad, when we come out and say _we're_ going to fight it?

Take the opposite approach. Let's say that the government of Pakistan claims that all Arabs must defend Islam against the "Satans" of other religions who bomb and shoot them. Think we would take that as a positive or negative development in the war on terror?

I don't need to take the opposite approach, the Malaysian PM has already reinforced my argument, here's the AP wire which quotes the PM:

"The Europeans killed 6 million Jews out of 12 million, but today the Jews rule the world by proxy," Mahathir said. "They get others to fight and die for them."

Like it or not Bill, our culture is inextricably linked to values found in religious texts, whose roots are found in Christianity and Judaism. It doesn't matter that we enjoy religious freedom.

We are already fighting this war. It was in the name of "jihad" that we've repeatedly been attacked, our responses dictate that we recognize the threat.
Make light!

I guess the left thinks free speech only applies to flag burning, gay rights groups. Such a shame

This is not a matter of free speech. He said something while appearin to be in an official capacity. Free speech has nothing to do with this.

Edited to add: But I understand that you have to get in your petty stabs, even if they are based on nothing.

Old saying...New Meaning...
"Kill em all...Let Allah sort em out."

It is being viewed as a holy war by everyone in the world..Except those who dont want to step on any toes. HUMMMMMMMMM wonder who that could be?

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

>I guess the left thinks free speech only applies to flag burning, gay rights groups. Such a shame.

And the far right thinks free speech extends to exposing undercover US agents, lying to congress and killing people who are not your religion, apparently. This guy is speaking for the US government, and the US government is backing him up.

>Like it or not Bill, our culture is inextricably linked to values found in
> religious texts, whose roots are found in Christianity and Judaism. It
> doesn't matter that we enjoy religious freedom.

Well, it does actually matter, since our constitution is the law of the land, and it specifically states that we cannot pass laws favoring any religion over another. A government law that required everyone to be baptized would (fortunately) be quickly overturned. Culture can choose any mores it wants; it is our constitution, not our culture, that determines what our government does - even if extremist parties would prefer it enforce certain religions.

>We are already fighting this war. It was in the name of "jihad" that
> we've repeatedly been attacked, our responses dictate that we
> recognize the threat.

So do you believe that the US is in a holy war, one that requires us to exterminate all "Satans?" I thought we were better than the people who pulled off 9/11.

>I think her husband did that more than anyone!

So are you defending the actions of an adminstration who revealed the name of an undercover US agent, risking reprisals against her contacts? Never knew you were that much of a Jane Fonda fan . . .

Culture can choose any mores it wants; it is our constitution, not our culture, that determines what our government does - even if extremist parties would prefer it enforce certain religions.

It was our culture that laid the foundation for our constitution. That culture is based on highly defined, easily traceable values that exist within a doctrine. Our religious freedoms not withstanding, it was these values that enabled the freedoms in the first place.

>We are already fighting this war. It was in the name of "jihad" that
> we've repeatedly been attacked, our responses dictate that we
> recognize the threat.

So do you believe that the US is in a holy war, one that requires us to exterminate all "Satans?" I thought we were better than the people who pulled off 9/11.

I personally don't believe that, and I don't know if our policy has established the mandate, but you'd be hard pressed to deny that the other side doesn't see it that way, in light of our responses, and regardless of our policy.
Make light!

So are you defending the actions of an administration who revealed the name of an undercover US agent?

1st it wasn't the entire administration and no, it wasn't right. Her husband did FAR more damage than anyone else. He should be put on trial along with who ever leaked the story. If there was any leak!

>I think her husband did that more than anyone!

So are you defending the actions of an adminstration who revealed the name of an undercover US agent, risking reprisals against her contacts? Never knew you were that much of a Jane Fonda fan . . .

Even Robert Novak said this was not a "leak". And you know damned well that it has not been determined if there was misconduct within the administration. Pretty troll-like...*breathe*
Make light!

I don't know what to say. Any one who knows any thing about Islam knows that they believe in Jesus and Moses. It is so sad. I don't care if someone doesn't know something or doesn't want to learn it, but at least don't say things you don't know Sh!t about. Sorry I am a little sensitive towards the subject.
It is as stupid as someone watching Jerry Springer and thinking that's all there is to us.
It is really sad to see people with such small minds in our government.
the reason we are hated is not because we are a Christian nation, because our foundation and our roots are Judeo-Christian. For example we just started a war because we said Iraq has WMD. Then when we didn't find any I hear people say that wasn't the point. IT was the only reason we invaded Iraq it had nothing Nothing to do with 9-11. We have killed many innocent people including our own brothers and sisters for one reason so the rich I mean the really really rich make more money.
God I could goon forever but I'll shut up now.
sorry for all the spelling mistakes.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Even Robert Novak said this was not a "leak". And you know damned well that it has not been determined if there was misconduct within the administration. Pretty troll-like...*breathe*

don't confuse them with facts. The economy is up. Iraq is being rebuilt. Stocks are on the rise. We have a president that the people can trust. The good news is the bad news is wrong. Tax cuts work

and Bill von is driving on oil from Iraq :)

"They are the aggressors. We are the defenders. That puts us on higher moral ground."

You need to study history my friend.
We have sold guns to both sides and watched people die to make money.
But if Money is your moral then your right, but it isn't mine
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

the reason we are hated is not because we are a Christian nation, because our foundation and our roots are Judeo-Christian.

Do enlighten us then. Why are we hated? If it isn't the system of government/founding roots/support for Israel, what is it?
Make light!