jigneshsoni

Canopy control courses

I have come across so many articles, posts that talk about taking a canopy control course and improve ones basic skills to land canopy safely. I believe every time I read about this It implied one having an "A" license first. I find this very strange and a bit concerning. I mean shouldn't every single person doing a first solo jump should have enough knowledge about canopy control. I can understand this must be very challenging and one learns as you jump, but we are talking about life here or life left that is not quality here when a student is not able to land safely.

I hear and read a lot of about freefall and all that is needed during freefall when reading about training but not much about canopy control and landing. I am thinking the most important thing in a jump is to pull at right altitude and the 2nd most important thing is canopy control while I think is not talked about much or trained much (at least not as much as other freefall stuff like turns, and rolls etc)

All the above said I would feel a lot more comfortable and confident going through AFF if was a lot more confident about canopy control.

Thoughs?

Canopy flight is a part of USPA A license progression. Take a look at the ISP portion of the SIM, for every category there are free fall and canopy skills that students work on. These basic canopy skills introduce aspects of canopy flight, and using these different techniques are requirements to get an A licence.

Have you been through the First Jump Course?

Canopy control is a pretty big part of it.
Control checks, turns, stalls, landing patterns, flaring, landing, ect are all covered.

As you go through the training towards your A, more and more is added on (or at least it's supposed to be).

The Canopy Control Courses are usually intended for people who already have the basic understanding that should come with an A license. Those courses cover more advanced areas to make a better canopy pilot out of an average one.

Besides, canopy control isn't all that complicated. Pull the left toggle to go left, pull the right one to go right, pull both to flare.
It's the knowing when to (and when not to) do that that's the "learning" part.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jigneshsoni

I wanted to add this question for my own training going forward.

Are there any canopy control courses offered for a person not having an "A" license? I sure would sign up for one if that was an option.

Yes, I've seen classes that have had pre-A students participating. You will most likely need to be cleared to solo status, and it would probably make sense that you've done at least once (if not both) of your hop & pops with an instructor or coach, since you'll need to exit the plane that way for your canopy course. However, I think most instructors would welcome someone who is still working on their A license. Of course, you'll want to confirm before you sign up as there might be reasons to limit the course to licensed jumpers.

There are two primary reasons that the course gets recommended for post-A students. 1) There's a lot of skills (including canopy skills) that a student needs to demonstrate prior to the A license. As such, with a lot of information packed into those jumps, there's a general idea that working more on canopy skills is the next level of your education. 2) In recent years, completing a canopy course has become a requirement for a USPA B license, so many people make that one of their next learning activities after finishing their A license.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have taught a number of students who were done with AFF but not quite to their A licenses yet. I only allow them to be taught one-on-one, and we go over very basic flight. AFF has a lot of canopy information in it, but it seems to get lost in "passing the levels."The freefall portion takes precedence over canopy control in the minds of the instructors and therefore the students.

Being unstable in freefall you are a liability to yourself and a few people around you. If you are weak under canopy, you are a liability to everyone in the sky and on the ground.

Learn early and learn often from experts.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

Learn early and learn often from experts.

Yes! You reminded me of one thing I meant to add, which is that canopy courses shouldn't be a "one and done" thing. There's advanced training, sure, but also the majority of us can benefit from regular refreshing of the basic course as well. Each time you take a class you can take in new nuances and new information and re-apply what you're learning to your current state (which might be very different from the last time you took the class - new canopy/canopies, new dropzone, new understanding, new limitations, etc.).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A lot of people are out trying to improve what we have,, a canopy course is a good thing,, setting yourself on fire not so much,, tieing in situational awareness in your normal life bringing that to a first jump course and then from the ground to the sky again in a canopy course,
but for the gear, what we could be aware of,,, the ASA is over the uspa,
at least the Air Force sees it that way,, no gaps in action ,, slow and simple awareness action awareness , the uspa has suffered guilt in the past with cutting corners, not merging technical facts with other aviation sports, and ending things before they begin, , the military over set and ASA hybrid that perris valley used, has a coach group with the school that uses this idea minus the 3dr body graphics debriefing software , they give canopy courses throughout your relationship with the school, Advanced Sports Aero ,, can design a canopy course , yet the skydiving structure is strictly military, meaning the start and stop training is set with unit to team geometry, safety speed and skill, that pattern ,,, that training, ,

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

I wish i had received better CC advices during my AFF. i was on my own (even though I had the radio) to land on my second jump. I was expecting to hear "flare" but it never happened.......felt kinda lost for a second.

I never had any issues but I also never got the confidence to really experience much with my canopy.

I booked a 1 on 1 course for the next week end, and will probably work on accuracy as I jump on DZs that have tons of hazards. And yup, i wish I would have paid 200 or 300 more for my AFF and got all that done at the same time.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

I agree that canopy instruction sometimes falls second to freefall instruction. As an instructor, I will see all of your freefall maneuvers, but I won't be there for most of the canopy ride.

The A license check list is a great place to start. Work on accuracy in landings. Maybe get someone to video them. Be receptive to input from jumpers. Learn to PLF. And don't be in such a hurry to downsize. ;)

Many teaching outlines fallow old business needs, low exit, students make the money, home base is canopy course,, its in the mind, the language, the time line,, many other teaching acts, like,, the canopy skills course itself,, came after business planes, and swooping,, go figure,, its the ability in view of demand,, most don't think about cost,, but the weak minded would do things,, and try to teach things without picking up on the student and the past, its like the pressure of knowing and being better never crossed their minds,, the gear and the skills go together,, you kill the sport if you forget were the money comes from,, the best course directors use a camera, are sponsored by at least one of the top three canopy companies, yet don't sell the canopy they are jumping, or over speak products from flight proofs from lateralling technology, ,,that's the magic that keeps the grass green, at least on my side of the aircraft carrier

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

aarco

are sponsored by at least one of the top three canopy companies

Bull s#!t...

The best canopy course directors are the ones who have a wide base of knowledge over time. Who pays their way is of no matter as long as they can be objective.

Jump more, post less!