phoenixlpr

How to inspect a lower brake line?

How to inspect a lower break line?

On packing one of my canopy I got one of my toggle with the lower break line in my hand.....[:/]

I have seen at least 2 different way of contruction for them.

What things should be inspected about them?

Stitching on the fingertraps, make sure that the line is in good condition (not fraying or otherwise damaged), depending how the toggle is attached, check the knot holding the fingertrap (pd method) or the knot at the end of the figure 8's. Make sure the fingertraps are within the knot and stitching as well.

What do you mean you got one of the toggles with the lower brake line in your hand?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What do you mean you got one of the toggles with the lower brake line in your hand?

The bottom, toggle side was stitched, but the top was not....

Yeah, sounds like they just didn't stitch it, luckily when theres tension fingertraps tend to hold... but when there is not tension on it, it will come right out.

Ya lucked out on that one man... could've been bad to have that come off on final.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The bottom, toggle side was stitched, but the top was not....

Yeah, sounds like they just didn't stitch it, luckily when theres tension fingertraps tend to hold... but when there is not tension on it, it will come right out.

Ya lucked out on that one man... could've been bad to have that come off on final.

Of course, I don't know what he is really looking at any more than any of us.

But I will point out that there are a number of non-sewn methods to make loops that will not have stitching.

Now, if/when I do that to brake lines, I would not do one side and not the other.

So he certainly should have his rigger take a look to see if there is a problem or not.

But there are no-sew techniques that do not need stitching to remain secure.

Some manufacturers use such "from the factory".

So I can imagine where one side needed a repair, and the rigger, possibly not knowing how to make a no-sew loop, made the repair with a stitched loop.

It is tough to diagnose things like this without actually seeing the particular items in question.

It is likely that something needs attention, but it is not impossible that his brakes are, in fact, fine.

It is likely that something needs attention, but it is not impossible that his brakes are, in fact, fine.

The way I understood it, steering line disconnected at the fingertrap and left the toggle with a bit of line that wasn't connected to it.

On one of my canopies the lowers aren't stitched, top and bottom the fingertrap uses the stitchless knot, it is doubled. Can't see anything wrong with this method other than it's not "the way we've always done it". It isn't easy to see the stitchless knots unless you're really looking for them so it can make inspection more difficult for someone other than the original fabricator.

http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=Nosewtrap&SortBy=
Sometimes you eat the bear..............