patrickweldon

Research on Injuries Sustained from Hard Openings.

Greetings. A few months ago I began collecting information from any/all skydivers who suffered injuries from hard openings. I am interested in all types of injuries, from minor ("sore necks") to more profound or severe. If you are interested, or just have a hard opening story, please email, and I will send you a brief question / answer to fill out an return.

All replies will be confidential. This medical study is through my Neurology / Neurosurgery Research Department at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, and has achieved all neccessary HIPPA and Human Research Study guidelines.

For more information, or to participate, please email"
[email protected]

or call (601) 984 5500

or write: Patrick Weldon MD
Dept of Neurology
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State Street
Jackson MS 39216

Student gear tends to be ill fitting (vs custom made gear) and your position on deployment may be a factor (among a billion other things!!)
I got some most horrendous bruises and tender bits on student gear, its very common...:S
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

thanx for the help ill search for more stuff on this forum
this forums so big i dont think i have visited every section yet lol

ill speak to my instructor this weekend about it

Hopefuly me having my feet in near my ass had somthing to do with it
i hope this because on my next jump i know ill be making sure to point me toes more
as my feet were near me ass i forgot to arch from the waist down lol

but its all part of the learning experience

Cesslon,

I've had a few hard openings before, but never did it reflect on my hips. I did, however, have sore hips when I didn't adjust the leg straps tight enough on a few jumps.

I have about 150 jumps on student gear, and every time after 10+ jumps over the weekend I had bruises on my hips and shoulders from less than perfectly fitting student gear.

i hope this because on my next jump i know ill be making sure to point me toes more
as my feet were near me ass i forgot to arch from the waist down lol

but its all part of the learning experience

Point them where?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

But seriously; I've had a few minor things.

Nasty bruising in the armpits and front of shoulders from hard openings on a Dolphin/Falcon combination. A not terribly well fitted container and a snappy canopy - bad combination if you are looking for gentleness.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

After replacing the line set on my Hornet 190, I began to experience hard openings. Nothing so bad that it prevented me from jumping the canopy.

However, on 11/12/2007, that all change when I was slammed to a stop after deployment. With neck, back, and rib pain and difficulty in breathing I made it to the ground.

I had a great deal of bruising on the right side of my chest and left lower back, also suffered a large bruise on my right thigh.

I went to the doctor and was told that I suffered two cracked ribs, which turned out not to be cracked after all but the muscles surrounding them were badly bruised. The neck pain is gone, but after a week, I'm still not able to lay down in bed due to the pain on the ribs and the breathing is very painful.

It seems the recliner is far more comfortable. As for the Hornet 190, I've given special instructions to Spaceland that if they see me with it, to beat the Crap out of me.

I figure I can recover from the beating faster than I'm recovering from my hard opening.

A search on PubMed did not show any relevent publications from "Weldon P". As PubMed includes virtually every peer-reviewed medical journal I'd say its almost certain that this research has not been published.

Don

After an 18yr lay off I was on one of my first few jumps with a BOC and could not find it...after two attempts while still reaching for the BOC I went for the reserve...This place me in a head down position and according to my computer I was aproaching 170mph when the reserved opened... I new I was black and blue on my leg down to the knee but after a couple of weeks this went away. About a month later I noticed a lump on my groan...After surgery I was told it was a triple hernia and the lump was part of my intestine....My local drop zone has closed for the year but I will get back with coach when they open back up in the spring...I am 58 and rather large but still trying to take my time and get back into the sport....I am retireing today after 30 years so what better to do with my time....

I have a stiletto that has given me several hard openings, one of wich popped my left hip out of socket, and on another occasion completely blew out the bottom skin on on of the cells. I recently had it relined but haven't been able to jump it yet to determine if that fixed the problem.
I also have a friend in Colorado that broke his neck from a hard opening caused by linedump. His packer made the first 2 stows and S folded the rest of the lines.

Hey there TB, we have some things in common, I'm 52 and returning after a 12 year lay off. I was able to pick up a Triathlon 190 this year and have always had good openings until my second last jump of the season. Don't know why this jump opened hard or perhaps it just felt worse as I pulled while I was just at the end of my track and mabye was a little headdown?? But it had my eyes as big as saucers and I still feel the bruising in the centre of my back. The following jump and the last one of the season went off without a hitch, thank God!

I also have a friend in Colorado that broke his neck from a hard opening caused by linedump. His packer made the first 2 stows and S folded the rest of the lines.

In the early '80's, that was a common way of packing. As long as the locking stows keep the canopy closed until line stretch, that will not result in a hard opening.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the early 80's canopy's were made to open that way. now they are not, and yes it will most definately cause a hard opening with modern canopy's. Ask any rigger.

Then how do you explain those reserve freebags with only locking stows?

Ask a rigger? OK, I'll ask myself about it.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I do not think either that it causes hard openings as long as the locking stows are good enough.
On the other hand, I think this is not recommended as it may up the chances (or rather misfortune) of having a line looping around a closing flap.
I know there has been multiple occurrences of that on all types of containers (although some designs, like smaller Omegas, were more prone to this than others).

Where specifically was the lump in your groin? I'm asking because a couple months ago I had the herdest opening I've ever had due to improperly setting my brakes. I didn' pull the cats eye below the guide ring. Anyway I started experiencing a dull ache in my very lower left abdomen basically the very next day. Went to the doc at the VA and they did a CT scan and told me I have diverticulosis. Pouches in the descending colan. Anyway, when I urinate I feel popping down there and when I push hard I can touch and feel a bulge in the same area I first told my Docs assistant that I thought I had a hernia but she felt around and said no. I don't really trust her but the VA is so busy that I'd have to wait 6 months to see my reg. Doc. I still feel that it could be a hernia. I'm wondering why the diverticulosis surfaced after a hard opening. So was just wondering where you had your bulge.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Messed up my back on a hard opening a few months ago, has gotten better but I have not fully recovered and it still flares up about every other week and can get quite painful. Went to a doctor in AU and he said it was only muscle damage. That was over a month ago. I think I might go to another doctor in ATL soon.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”