Blakewater

Buying a new harness/ canopy

I'm looking at finally getting my own rig so i can stop renting and stop getting treated like a noob at the DZs because i'm renting gear. I'm a big guy (230lbs) and normally jump 360's for the USMC, so i'm looking at getting a 260 main. Was hoping somebody savvy out there could offer some advice on the best 260 to go with for sport jumping, along with recommendations for containers and reserves. Any help would be appreciated, thanks to all.

What do you want your canopy to do?

Are you interested in canopy flight, or just want to get to the ground uneventfully?

A few more clues as to what you are looking for in a canopy will help narrow the range of available models.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Mow the yard?
Take out the trash.?
Wash the cars?
:S:S:S:S

Wit 25 jumps in 18 years - you have no business on those canopies. ;)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Mow the yard?
Take out the trash.?
Wash the cars?
:S:S:S:S

Wit 25 jumps in 18 years - you have no business on those canopies. ;)

With an answer like that, he has no business posting in a "topical" forum.

A few more clues

A clue? Here's one for you - the 'show users posts' button in your profile never goes away. You can wipe the rest clean, like your jump numbers, time in sport, and the canopy you jump, but every post you ever made is right there at the touch of a button.

The only way to really start over is to dump the DocPop user name all together, and start fresh with a new name and none of the details you don't want people to know about.

You can hardly go wrong with a PD canopy...or Aerodyne.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/
Pulse, Sabre2, Silhouette, Navigator

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/fly/
Pilot, Triathlon,

For a couple of recommendations.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Our rigs have 360 mains and are designed after tandem rigs (pretty much identical) because we do jump in equipment and eventually work up to jumping in bundles and personnel tandem. they are designed to have a high glide ration so we can maximize our standoff from the mission area. obviously i don't want a tandom rig just to toss myself into the sky for fun/ practice which is why i want to go with a 260. allows me to use a more "normal sized" container and not hang in the air all day but close enough that i'm still getting in decent practice for when i jump for "work" (can't really call MFF work). So insum i need a canopy with a good glide ration, responsive to toggle/riser input. all i'm doing is getting myself to the ground, nothing fancy.

Our rigs have 360 mains and are designed after tandem rigs (pretty much identical) because we do jump in equipment and eventually work up to jumping in bundles and personnel tandem. they are designed to have a high glide ration so we can maximize our standoff from the mission area. obviously i don't want a tandom rig just to toss myself into the sky for fun/ practice which is why i want to go with a 260. allows me to use a more "normal sized" container and not hang in the air all day but close enough that i'm still getting in decent practice for when i jump for "work" (can't really call MFF work). So insum i need a canopy with a good glide ration, responsive to toggle/riser input. all i'm doing is getting myself to the ground, nothing fancy.

You're jumping the MS 360 ( Military Silhouette) if you're using the Multi Mission system. If you want something similar to the flight characteristics of that system go with the PD 260 Silhouette, it's the same canopy, just smaller.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

+1.

the only thing i'd have to add is if you want something more "fun" and responsive, you could go with a slightly smaller canopy to get the wing loading down around 1:1. but only if you feel comfortable with that with your experience level. you may be able to rent from your local DZ and try the different canopy sizes and see how differently wingloading specs can fly. that way you'd have a great idea of what exactly you want before you bite the bullet on a new main.

Where are you stationed at? I can probably hook you up with someone to talk to rigger wise who knows our Military systems and jumps at a local DZ around your base. then you can possably get some Hands on with any of their loaner rigs. Just PM me and let me know.

The Mirage M8 fitting guide states that it can fit a Aerodyne Solo 250 with a Soft fit. So, in my limited opinion, you might be able to fit a 260 in there depending on the material, canopy, etc.

I chose Mirage because of the awesome 30% discount they offer to military on new containers. (Plus, I had $750 gift certificate that I found on the DZ.com store for $250 :D). Just an idea man.

Cant really vouch for the container yet because I havent jumped it yet. Stuck in afghanistan for a few more weeks... [:/]

In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor