AustinPerkins

silencing my protec !

So I finally bought me a protec helmet for the rest of my time in AFF. The thing I absolutely despise is the loud noise you get during freefall. This noise is incredibly distracting and makes it hard for me to concertate. does anyone have any good ideas about covering up the ear holes in the protec, does everyone just use ducktape ?

thanks,

Austin

I dunno whether you're radioed down but students here get protecs with its ear holes open so that they can hear the directions for approach and landing. Please ask your instructors whether they mind you taping your protec.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

You can tape the ear openings & wear earplugs. If you find hearing the radio difficult. Just reach a pinky inside the helmet to flick the plugs out once under canopy.

When choosing & applying tape to the Protec cranial protection system. One must respect the high-end materials & fit N finish of the product... Juss slap some tape on & jump!

Colored duct tape, to match.:P The black and on two of my protects have been there for 20 years.

And yes, just use duct tape. An alternative is a piece of closed cell thin foam on the inside.

But as stated some of us like them open so we can here the swoopers diving on us.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Mine's covered in fur. There's an entire organization of us, the Pelt Heads, that have done so. Lightly sand, some craft glue, and furry fabric of your choice... I've seen anything from actual animal pelts to dismembered stuffed animals used for this purpose. Mine is hot pink with orange highlights. The fur has been on there for about 5 years now, if not longer, and still looks good. Plus it's warmer in the winter, easier to hear my audible, and it's quieter on wind noise.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Funny how time goes on but the trends stay the same. I have a book, 'The Art of Freefall Relative Work'. You might have heard of it. It says something about being able to hear the relative wind.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Pelt heads: cool idea (maybe). Are they excessively hot in the summer (for example, in GA?).

And how do you make them? Do you cut the pelts to leave the existing ventilation holes open, or does the pelt cover them up? And how long can they last before you end up looking like a shedding bull moose?

Pelt heads: cool idea (maybe). Are they excessively hot in the summer (for example, in GA?).

And how do you make them? Do you cut the pelts to leave the existing ventilation holes open, or does the pelt cover them up? And how long can they last before you end up looking like a shedding bull moose?

I have jumped my pelt head in GA on multiple occasions in the summer with no issues from the heat. Mine is 5 years or so old and still looks great, my husband's is the same, so the fur does age well as far as I can tell.

My vent holes are covered with the fur. Sand the helmet, use craft glue and fur of your choice, cut the fur into several pieces and glue on the helmet. If you try to use one hunk of fur, due to the curvature of the helmet, you'll just have a mess :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda