drewcarp

Pilot v Storm

Could anyone who has jumped both a Pilot and a Storm or Spectre do a little comparing and contrasting? I just a bought a rig with a Pilot 210 and was debating trying to sell it and upsize to a 7 cell 230 of some sort so I'm on the safer side. The WL on the 210 is 1/1 but I'm landing at 5K feet so everything is a little sportier here and I wouldn't mind the extra material.

I have about 20 jumps on a Storm 210 and a few Spectre 230 jumps as well so I was wondering how the Pilot will compare (I'll find out myself this weekend, hopefully). I was also considering demoing a Pulse 230 because it would fit in my M6, if anyone has any comments on lightly loaded Pulses or any 230 that packs small vs Pilots I'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

I have jumped both a Pilot 188 and a Pulse 190 loaded at 1:1 at a dropzone where the elevation is about 3500. They are very similar in glide characteristics, flare is roughly equal but starts at a higher toggle point and then tapers off more quickly with the Pulse, and they feel almost identical in flight although the Pulse turns a little quicker in my opinion.

Both were great canopies, but I ended up buying a Pulse because it was about $300 cheaper and packs so much easier than the pilot.

Well, eventually you'll get use to the 230 and might want to get down to a 210. If it's an option, finacially, I'd keep the Pilot and also buy a bigger canopy that you're more comfortable flying. When you feel entirely comfortable moving down again, or visit a drop zone at a lower altitude, jump the 210.

I have some jumps on a rented Pilot 210, loaded somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2, and I really liked it.

Could anyone who has jumped both a Pilot and a Storm or Spectre do a little comparing and contrasting? I just a bought a rig with a Pilot 210 and was debating trying to sell it and upsize to a 7 cell 230 of some sort so I'm on the safer side. The WL on the 210 is 1/1 but I'm landing at 5K feet so everything is a little sportier here and I wouldn't mind the extra material.

I have about 20 jumps on a Storm 210 and a few Spectre 230 jumps as well so I was wondering how the Pilot will compare (I'll find out myself this weekend, hopefully). I was also considering demoing a Pulse 230 because it would fit in my M6, if anyone has any comments on lightly loaded Pulses or any 230 that packs small vs Pilots I'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

Just go and jump your Pilot 210. Just do it. If you worry about your square footage, and you think about trading PT210 for PD product in 230, DON't as PT 210 translates to PD's 220+ sq anyways. Why? It just does. We also offer the Pilot in 230 but that is a huge canopy.
As for pack volume of PT vs. Pulse, I am guessing you have a regular zp fabric but for those who don't want to sacrifice performance of zp material over hybrid canopies like Pulse, go for a ZPX option and it will be a dream to pack.