peek

Commonly misused words in dropzone.com forums and rec.skydiving

spellings which get me going:

there - positional
their - posessive

not sure whether (not its 'sister' weather >:() they are pronouns, adverbs or adjectives

and:

wear - something you do with clothes
where - positional
were - past tense of plural conjugations of the verb 'to be'

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

The redundantcy of saying seven AM in the morinig instead of just seven AM.

A lot of watches have the date on them. It's nice to know what day it is. However, the month is a little silly. If you know it is the 6th, but don't know what month it is... you have more pressing problems. :D

Thank you, someone finally said it!!!

I am a big critic in cases of spelling and grammar. I use very good grammar and expect other people to do so too.

My biggest hang-up with misspellings is:

To: Toward a given state
Too: In addition; also

Guys, in general, seem to have the biggest problem with differentiating between the two.

Sorry guys, no offense, but it's annoying. [:/]

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough!"

don't forget y'all's (posessive)
;)

Y'all's is proper English. Y'all is the plural You. Kind of like in Spanish where they have Usted (you) and Ustedes (plural you). There is a lot of examples of the plural possessive - a favorite football team, section of the country, girlfriend.

In the northern US, it is used to specify which group sometimes as "Not dose guys, youse guys."

People who can't use "y'all" properly just don't have a proper educational background with languages. :)

READING LESSON

Instructions: Just read the sentence straight through without really
thinking about it.

Acocdrnig to an elgnsih unviesitry sutdy the oredr of letetrs in a wrod
dosen't mttaer, the olny thnig thta's iopmrantt is that the frsit and lsat
ltteer of eevry word is in the crcreot ptoision. the rset can be jmbueld
and one is stlil able to raed the txet wiohtut dclftfuiiy.

I am a big critic in cases of spelling and grammar.
You are a big critic of cases of spelling and grammar or are you a critic of poor use of spelling and grammar?
I user (SP) use very good grammar and expect other people to do so too.

My biggest hang-up with misspellings is are:
Misspelling is plural and therefore should use the first person plural indicative instead of the first person singular form

To: Toward a given state
Too: In addition; also

Guys, in general, seem to have the biggest problem with differentiating between the two.
two WHAT?

Just playin with ya... don't get in a huff or anythin
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

My biggest hang-up with misspellings is are:
Misspelling is plural and therefore should use the first person plural indicative instead of the first person singular form

I don't think that is so. The object of the sentence was "My biggest hang-up". "with misspellings" was merely descriptive and could have been omitted. "hang-up" is singular, so "is" is correct (depending on what "is" means, it confuses people :ph34r:).

I don't think that is so. The object of the sentence was "My biggest hang-up". "with misspellings" was merely descriptive and could have been omitted. "hang-up" is singular, so "is" is correct (depending on what "is" means, it confuses people

DANGIT!!! you are too good, n really smart to....:ph34r:
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

How about "definately" used in place of definitely?

My pet. Fire away....

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

How about "definately" used in place of definitely?

My pet. Fire away....

(sigh) You took mine, but I have a back-up: "congradulations" instead of congratulations. That one makes my teeth ache from grinding them together.

I have noticed, however, that while "proper" english is exactly that, proper, it certainly isn't as fun as simply tossing letters and half-words out there in some semblance of coherent thought. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

"definately" used in place of definitely?

GOD! I do that ALL THE TIME!!!

It's so frustrating, too, because I actually sit and think of it! For some reason the true spelling won't click in my brain! I need a mnemonic device...apparently recalling the word 'finite' isn't working...

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

10 points to the person that knows the diff between:
affect &
effect.

duh.

affect is a feeling or general aura type thing displayed by someone or something. effect is an outcome.

end SAT drills.

__

That depends on whether the word is used as a noun or a verb. Both affect and effect can be used as nouns or verbs with quite different meanings.

My pet peeves - the use of "infer" to mean "imply", and the use of "data" in the singular.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So now we'll all be *extra* paranoid. Especially while typing under the influence. hee hee :S

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

don't forget y'all's (posessive)
;)

Y'all's is proper English. Y'all is the plural You. Kind of like in Spanish where they have Usted (you) and Ustedes (plural you). There is a lot of examples of the plural possessive - a favorite football team, section of the country, girlfriend.

In the northern US, it is used to specify which group sometimes as "Not dose guys, youse guys."

People who can't use "y'all" properly just don't have a proper educational background with languages. :)

In Tennessee "Y'all" is singular, and "All Y'all" is plural.

In Chicago (southwest side) "Youse" is singular and "Youses" is plural.

The language of Shakespeare and Milton is just so beautiful.

And in Texas it is "yall" without the pause after the Y, so when talking to someone from Texas, please spell it correctly! (Since this is what the thread is about, right)?:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And in Texas it is "yall" without the pause after the Y, so when talking to someone from Texas, please spell it correctly! (Since this is what the thread is about, right)?:P

I wasn't addressing Texans; my comments were directed to Anglophones.:)

So now we'll all be *extra* paranoid. Especially while typing under the influence.

Ya'll know we'd never do anything like that here.B|

Sorry, gang, but I have to use proper English at work and it is nice to sometime NOT agaonize over everything I type. We all know I speak in proper English.:P

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.