AndreLB3

Snowboard Helmets w/ soft ear flaps?

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my first helmet and have been doing some research on these forums. My main issue is with protection, and I have heard that most skydive helmets other than protecs aren't rated. My next issue is with the price of skydiving helmets; just too high for me right now.

So, because of those reasons I have decided to go with a snowboard helmet (and they just look better IMO). Before you say it, I will make sure there are no snag points, especially the goggle strap holder on back.

My question is, while looking at snowboard helmets, I realized that most of them have soft ear flaps, and I was wondering if these would cause any kinds of problems. I don't see how they would be snag point, but I am a newb and could be wrong.

Here is an example of the type of helmet I am talking about:

Burton RED Helmet

Thanks for the advice!

-Andrew

I jump with a Smith Maze ski helmet, soft earflaps with zipper pockets for headphones. Dytter lives in one flap and GPS in the other.

Skydiving helmets are overpriced camera holders far as I'm concerned, the price they get away with charging is ridiculous considering there not rated for anything and cost as much if not more then Motorcycle helmets.

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my first helmet and have been doing some research on these forums. My main issue is with protection, and I have heard that most skydive helmets other than protecs aren't rated. My next issue is with the price of skydiving helmets; just too high for me right now.

So, because of those reasons I have decided to go with a snowboard helmet (and they just look better IMO). Before you say it, I will make sure there are no snag points, especially the goggle strap holder on back.

My question is, while looking at snowboard helmets, I realized that most of them have soft ear flaps, and I was wondering if these would cause any kinds of problems. I don't see how they would be snag point, but I am a newb and could be wrong.

Here is an example of the type of helmet I am talking about:

Burton RED Helmet

Thanks for the advice!

-Andrew

Not a comment specifically aimed at this helmet, but I am not fond of "outside curves" along the edge of helmets. Now, it is pretty difficult to get rid of them entirely. The ones towards the rear of this helmet sort of must be there. My protec has a similar outside curve on the "ear flaps" where the chin strap attaches.

These all represent a snag hazard of some degree.

Now, some will say that a line snagged on that outside curve won't stay there long. But it could exert significant force on your neck before it releases, and it would simply be better to avoid the snag in the first place.

On my protec, I modified the chinstrap so that it runs along the outside of the helmet past the outside curve instead of just going inside in the first place. Then it is folded over the inside of the ear hole, and secured through both sides with a huge-headed rivet. This change will help a line slide past the outside curve instead of snagging on it. Of course, the rivet must be very well set in order to ensure that it is not a new snag hazard on its own.

It would be tough to make this mod on a helmet that doesn't have a hole that conveniently lets you fold the webbing over to go inside. You'd need to add a slot or hole of some sort to allow it, and then you must wonder about the integrity of the shell. My protec made it easy for me since it already has the hole. I didn't actually move the point of attachment - I only changed the routing of the strap.

I don't have my protec handy, but I'll get a photo of it when I can and try to post it here. (If I can remember, - me being the old fart that I am.)

By the way, the protec is not my only helmet, but I wear it for CF so I can hear. The chin strap on my Bonehead was set up sort of this way from the start, so it never needed modification. In retrospect, I could avoid the huge-headed-rivet on the protec altogether by sewing the strap the way it is on my Bonehead.

I put close to 700 jumps on this same helmet. I cut into one of the ear pads and put my audible inside of it. The problem you will run into is the pads slipping out of the helmet when you aren't wearing it (they are removable). I put some gaffers tape on the tab and it helped, but not completely. It was never enough of an issue for me to come up with a permanent fix.

Nice to know you have worn the helmet I am looking at. And with 700 jumps on it that's even better haha.

Was it hard to remove the strap holder on the back? From some pictures I see, it looks pretty massive, but I can't get a real good pic. I have to go find a store that has this helmet.

Also, do you think this helmet will at all be an issue for someone with only 15 jumps?

Thanks,
Andrew

Skydive helmet in that price range.

http://skysystemsusa.com/helmets/benny.html

[img]http://skysystemsusa.com/helmets/images/Benny-photo.jpg[/img]

I would rather go for the skydive helmet...

+1 One of the best kept secrets in skydiving.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals