mysky

Best prescription sunglasses for skydiving

Seeing a lot of people using Liquid with scripts. Never tried but am wondering if someone could give me advice on not only the best frames with prescription but what brand actually works the best. I know this will be subjective like saying fly an Icarus over a PD, or the other way around as to not offend, but in this case I'm sick of prescription goggles and would love a pair of sunglasses that actually work.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

I am using Liquid Eyewear http://www.LiquidPolarized.com
I think they are best prescription sunglasses out there.

+1
I had prescription lenses put in the player frame. Good wraparound for wind protection and the lenses are large enough there is no distortion caused by the prescription. I added the insert to keep any wind from hitting my eyes. Most people don't, but I hate any wind in my eyes.

You can also get the prescription ground into the insert. I guess that is useful if you wear contacts (I don't).

The customer service is phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about the company's integrity and commitment to get things right.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Here's another question. What perscriptions do you guys have? Ive tried using Wiley-X's (several different types) and found that due to the curvature of the lense and my perscription strength is causes MASSIVE distortion nearing the outter 1/3 of the lense. Basically, if I end up spending yet another couple hundred bucks on glasses I want to make damn sure they work.

My perscription is:

Right: Sphere +4.50, Cylinder -.25, Axis 161
Left: Sphere +4.00, Cylinder -.50, Axis 176
Muff #5048

I don't have my prescription here with to compare. My left eye is worse then my right and I think it's like Sphere + 7. Not sure about that and my right is about +4 or so. It's just a guess. The Liquid's are much higher quality then the Wiley-X's. I don't notice any distortion.

Thanks for the info. I was kind of hoping that someone with a higher perscription than mine would chime in. Since you say it doesn't distort for you then that gives me a good bit of confidence ordering a pair.

Are they so close to your eyes that your eyelashes brush up against them? This is another thing that annoyed me with the Wiley-X's I tried. Also, on the Liquid website it says they come with Polycarbonate lenses. I found that with the Wiley-X polycarb the lenses are quite heavy and thick. Are these thinner/lighter?

Thanks again.:)

Muff #5048

I have the insert so they do get really close to my eyes. They didn't have a the non insert lenses available till after I bought mine. Eventually here I am going to either send mine back in and have the lenses replaced with prescription or just buy a new set. I checked with them and my prescription will work for that. Wish I had ordered then after they came out with the non insert version.

Call them to make sure and get the skydiver discount.

Best bet is to call Liquid and tell them what your Rx is. If it is such that it wouldn't work with a ground in Rx lens you can go with the Rx insert option instead.

As for eyelashes touching the lenses, you can make it happen if you over adjust the Liquids. Since they are made to be molded to your head, you can get over aggressive with them and mold them to the point where your eyelashes touch. When properly molded your eyelashes shouldn't touch the lenses,even if you have RX inserts.

The lenses themselves are not overly thick, ie they are not Coke bottles. However, they are ANSI z87.1 certified so you essentially have safety glasses, something most other sunglasses out there don't have.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i have a pair of oakley`s with a few thousand jumps on them. tight to my face, so not a lot of air into my eyes. i like the plastic frames better than metal, it feels nicer once my helmet is on.i guess it all depends on how the glasses fit your face...

The liquid Icons have a new feature that incorporates a 'croaky' like string to hold the glasses. Less metal on the side of your head that your helmet will push into your temple or smash behind you ear. I forget what they call the option, but it is much more comfortable.

A little old of a thread, but I just got a pair of the inserts for my Liquid Gaskets (didn't know about the built-in lenses - not on the site, and they didn't mention them when I spoke to them a couple of times on the phone). I thought I'd add my two cents to the positive things people have said above. My results haven't been good - possibly because my prescription is very strong (-6+). YMMV.

The Rx is significantly smaller than the glasses, the Rx is very thick, to the point that it touches my face with the large nosepiece, and there is a lot of distortion looking anywhere but straight ahead. The thickness and smallness of the Rx lenses combine to cut my peripheral vision drastically, and the distortion makes me dizzy and messes up my depth perception.

I would never use them for skydiving as they are - lost peripheral vision and depth perception plus dizziness seems like a recipe for getting a femur out of my @ss or worse. I sent them an e-mail at the beginning of last week asking if there is anything that can be done to fix my problems and haven't heard anything back from them yet. I hope I haven't wasted $180...

A little old of a thread, but I just got a pair of the inserts for my Liquid Gaskets (didn't know about the built-in lenses - not on the site, and they didn't mention them when I spoke to them a couple of times on the phone). I thought I'd add my two cents to the positive things people have said above. My results haven't been good - possibly because my prescription is very strong (-6+). YMMV.

The Rx is significantly smaller than the glasses, the Rx is very thick, to the point that it touches my face with the large nosepiece, and there is a lot of distortion looking anywhere but straight ahead. The thickness and smallness of the Rx lenses combine to cut my peripheral vision drastically, and the distortion makes me dizzy and messes up my depth perception.

I would never use them for skydiving as they are - lost peripheral vision and depth perception plus dizziness seems like a recipe for getting a femur out of my @ss or worse. I sent them an e-mail at the beginning of last week asking if there is anything that can be done to fix my problems and haven't heard anything back from them yet. I hope I haven't wasted $180...

I had the same experience with my Liquids with the Rx insert. my Rx is very weak, but i get headaches when not wearing my glasses. My vision when using the insert is just as you descibed. It feels distorted and just not right. I found the cause to be the "wrap" that the glasses have. Instead of the lenses being perpendicular to the line of sight, like they are with more traditional eye glasses, The liquids curve around your face placing the lenses at an angle compared to your line of sight. If i take the insert out and hold the lenses more perpendicular, my vision feels just the same as with my everyday eye glasses. I never contacted Liquid wihich I regret now. But i'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had this issue.

Tim and Ryan,
don't hesitate to contact Liquid about your issues, they take customer satisfaction very seriously and will work with you to fix the problem. As you mentioned though, some heavy Rx's aren't ideal because of their thickness, be it an insert or in frame Rx. Whatever your issue, if you are not happy, you should contact Liquid and voice your issue, they want you to be a happy customer but they can only help you if you bring it to their attention.

If you sent an e-mail to Liquid and haven't heard back from them, try a phone call. If either of you cannot get in contact with someone from Liquid let me know and I will personally bring it to the owners attention.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Tim and Ryan,
don't hesitate to contact Liquid about your issues, they take customer satisfaction very seriously and will work with you to fix the problem. As you mentioned though, some heavy Rx's aren't ideal because of their thickness, be it an insert or in frame Rx. Whatever your issue, if you are not happy, you should contact Liquid and voice your issue, they want you to be a happy customer but they can only help you if you bring it to their attention.

If you sent an e-mail to Liquid and haven't heard back from them, try a phone call. If either of you cannot get in contact with someone from Liquid let me know and I will personally bring it to the owners attention.

if you have a heavy spript, (i do (+7-), and you intend on getting inserts then you will need to pay (and dearly) for the THIN lenses. for me to get decent lenses I need to buy 1.67 "High Index" lenses they allow me to have a lens centre of about 4mm as opposed to a standard index lens which has a lens centre of 13mm (1/2 inch).
I dont use any of the "named" sunglass brands. I go to an optometrist and have my wrap sunnies made by corrective vision professionals
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I go to an optometrist and have my wrap sunnies made by corrective vision professionals

Liquid doesn't do the Rx lens themselves, it is sent to a professional optometrist to be made based on the Rx the customer sends in when they place their order. In some cases, heavy or difficult scripts might be better off going directly to their optometrist to have custom made and fitted sunglasses. Most people don't have to go this route and can simply send in their script and get the lens they need. But if for some reason they have an issue they need to contact Liquid and let them know so the issue can be resolved.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Try SPORTRX for Skydiving, they are located in San Diego Ca.

http://www.sportrx.com/search_results.asp?type=sport&sport=skydiving

Remember that if they are prescription glasses/goggles, and if you have a health insurance plan, you can get them partially paid. I personally used several pairs of them for years. They are fine.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I go to an optometrist and have my wrap sunnies made by corrective vision professionals

Liquid doesn't do the Rx lens themselves, it is sent to a professional optometrist to be made based on the Rx the customer sends in when they place their order. In some cases, heavy or difficult scripts might be better off going directly to their optometrist to have custom made and fitted sunglasses. Most people don't have to go this route and can simply send in their script and get the lens they need. But if for some reason they have an issue they need to contact Liquid and let them know so the issue can be resolved.

yeah i knew that Liquid and most other send their scripts out to be done. The reason i go to an Opto. is that they are far more familiar with the lens shapes and curvatures and what frame shapes that they will fit. There are very few lens shapes that can be used for skydiving that will fit my script properly and safely.
Folks with heavier scripts, especially ones with front and back ground curves, would benefit from seeing a good Opto and finding out what lens shapes will actually work with their scripts.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks for the additional experiences and ideas. I'll go to my opto; hopefully they can do the wraps as well as they do my regular glasses. It'll be a shame to lose the LTD lenses, though. I've used them with contacts, are really like them.

As LouDiamond says, Liquid has great customer service. They have since gotten back to me thanking me for my feedback and offering a refund for the Rx insert. (I'm sure the delay was just due to the holidays.) Because their glasses are such high quality, and well-known in the skydiving community, it's easy to forget that they are a small company, and haven't done many very strong prescriptions, or haven't gotten feedback on what didn't work...

Before using any type of liquid in the eyes, Its important to have the prescription first. And I would say that both the sunglasses with the plastic frame and the metal frame looks good, but it also depends upon a particular face which is most suitable. To know more about sunglasses visit
url removed
Cruz Faber

As I see you just joined yesterday, welcome to the forums. It is a little strange to resurrect a 2 year old thread. When previous posters were talking about 'Liquid', they were referring to a manufacturer of sunglasses.
It might be a little helpful if you filled out more of your profile, or indicated something about your expertise in either skydiving or optometry. Skydivers as a group are constantly collecting new information about equipment and appreciate any new knowledge.

Ah come on - I was much more subtle than that ;)
It wasn't like it was his first post and it was a direct link to a advertisement on a webpage. Er wait, it was. :$

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he did not know that was against the rules. He also probably doesn't understand how much that pisses off people who look in gear and rigging for unbiased knowledge.