FreeDiver

When I am going to bounce

flat tracking means you are losing altitude much less than a full track, but you are still losing altitude.

If you're losing less altitude in the same period of time, then you are indeed slowing your vertical descent.

where does the energy come from so that you can move?

It comes from your vertical speed. In other words, the faster you move horizontally, the slower you move vertically.

Do a tracking jump some time and check your pro track. I'll bet your freefall speed (vertical descent) is slower than a falling down the shaft.

but we digress (one could argue that is the purpose of a forum , but i won't go there) as this doesn't have much to do with going bounce.

Sure it does, as this is my strategy for survival :P

"Sure it does, as this is my strategy for survival"

I think a good way to practice this would be to get in the back of a truck on the runway. Get up to about 60mph, climb onto the roof and have the driver slam on the brakes at the end of the runway.

Practice makes perfect, and this is one that you definitely won't want to fuck up.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

wasn't that a stunt a few years back (10 or so). two bi-planes, each with drogue chutes. a guy gets out of one plane and flies over to the other one and lands in the airplane w/o deploying his parachute.
--------------
Mark Smith
AFF-I, S&TA, ex-Strong Tandem, Instrument Pilot

I always thought the standard procedure for a double mal was to track into your rigger...
:ph34r::ph34r:

:ph34r::D:DI'm sorry but in a morbid kind of way that is funny. :D My philosophy is that bouncing is BAD so I try to avoid it at all costs. Shit does happen though. Sometimes Murphy just arrives at the wrong time.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

What I was taught in my first jump course was to start spinning and when you get to about 300 rpm cup air with you hands and feet in the direction of the spin and you end up hovering like a helicopter.Its all in the timing.Beats trying to hold onto the grass.:)
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Bounce. It's what is said to happen when a body impacts the earth at high speed.

bounce. humans do indeed 'bounce'. generally only once. not always, but more often than not.

if it ever becomes apparent to me that i am indeed going in, i will take a deep breath, close my eyes and forgive myself for making a mess. i know it aint gonna hurt at all.

what would really suck is for a skydiver to check out after being hit by a bus.
namaste, motherfucker.

Serious answer in the event of a double-mal: Claw like a madman at my rig and yank anything that seems yankable, if the reserve came out but was streaming or something, I'd be pulling strings like a puppeteer

Non-serious answer: Depending on my mood either go in head first to make the biggest mess(I should make a will requesting that if that happened that my rigger has to do clean-up:))Or just go in stable and wave at someone right before impact to scar them for life

At that speed water is harder than the lawn, so...

I liked the helicopter-hovering-thing but the idea of waveing to someone was just adorable! Aiming for the rigger sounds fair enough too.:D

Well, I am the rigger so I would aim for the DZ clubhouse roof, because it is leaking. The ensurance company would hate my guts for it, but so what?:P

>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

I think I'd do like they suggested in "trivia" and shove my tennis shoe where it don't shine, because the FAA would never figure out what happened

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think the only senario where you would have time to aim for anything would be when you jump without a rig. The other times you would be pulling all the handles until your googles filled up with blood.

So, if I jumped with out a rig, I would either aim for the nearest skydiver and ask to borrow his (he made need some persuading here [:/]. Or, if I was on my own, I would aim for that big pile of cardboard boxes the stunt men has just built on the new james bond movie set.:P

I think that the 'its the second impact that kills you' theory is a myth. The sudden intense hydrolic pressure your vascular system would exerience would blow vasculature in your brain and the rest of your body killing you regardless of if you bounce or not. However I like the lawn dart thing, thats pretty funny. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>I think that the 'its the second impact that kills you' theory is a myth.

Ya think???

>Back to stupid comments about smacking in.

Excellent idea. At good old Beagle Skyranch (Sams Valley, Oregon), there is a cemetery not too far from the DZ. In the interest of courtesy, let alone irony, I always thought it would be cool to track into a freshly dug open grave.

Back on the courtesy tack (or track), my second choice for not leaving a mess would be to track into an open dumpster down at the store.

Back to reality, of course I would be trying to save myself. So, assuming a 12K exit without a rig, I would be looking real hard for a mattress that was like 11,990 feet high. . .

-Crash

"Plan A"Remember "The hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy"... Aim for the ground, be completely distracted and hopefully missB|.

"Plan B": Remember PLFKing's early days... Aim for a fat child for the softer landing:ph34r:.

"Plan C": Remember the guy who DID survive a 9,000ft freefall & aim for the dense fir trees on the snow covered slope:o.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.