FreeDiver

When I am going to bounce

I think you can hit it any speed, aslong as you dont hit it flat. 60mph is a "concrete" figure I think Ive heard. Just make sure you hit it headdown or very pointed feet first

Not sure about this... I jumped off of bridges (NOT BASE, just fun jumping in a bathing suit) when I was younger, did a 75 ft one feet first, used physics and calculus to figure 45mph impact speed (probably was slower due to drag). I was perfectly vertical, but did not have my toes pointed. My feet hurt very bad (nothing internal, just got slapped real hard), my arms were out from my sides just slightly and the water tore at my armpits so hard that my shoulders hurt for days (next time I did the jump I held my hands on my thighs prior to impact), and worst of all I got SODOMIZED by the water. I'm not kidding. [:/]

And that is all at 45mph. Impact energy is proportional to the square of speed, so if you somehow hit the water in a stand-up position at 120 mph (which would mean you had to fly belly to the water until the last second where you transition to a stand), you'd probably hit with 9 times the energy I did. I guess you could live, maybe...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think you can hit it any speed, aslong as you dont hit it flat. 60mph is a "concrete" figure I think Ive heard. Just make sure you hit it headdown...

Yeah so that they can collect ALL your mortal remains by simply picking up your helmet :D

I'd track for a hey bail... 'cause that's what i do in my bouncing dreams ;)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

There was a Cypres save just like that quite a while ago...CRW wrap.

http://www.cypres-usa.com/saves05b.pdf

For some reason (reserve handle tucked under harness maybe?) the lower guy thinks his reserve is part of the shit wrapped round the upper guy and screams at him not to cut him free.

Not hearing, or ignoring the plaintive wails, the upper guy starts hacking away at the lines and canopy around him.

So, our hero, back in freefall and thinking he's now without main and reserve, starts tracking for a lake...

I wonder if he'd have made it, and what he did when he caught up with the other guy :S:D

Cheers

John

Don't they give people training any more?

It is not the impact that kills you. The impact merely breaks your bones. When you bounce, the pointy ends of the bones tear into you. The key thing is not to bounce. Therefore, aim for a spot with long grass, pasture-like. Then, right as you hit, grab the grass. This will keep you from bouncing and save your life. :ph34r:

[It is not the impact that kills you. The impact merely breaks your bones. When you bounce, the pointy ends of the bones tear into you. The key thing is not to bounce. Therefore, aim for a spot with long grass, pasture-like. Then, right as you hit, grab the grass. This will keep you from bouncing and save your life. ]

ARe you serious? Grab the grass? I think you're joking.... right? How would you be able to grab the grass as you're smashing into the ground?

i would max track into trees and flare at a little above tree height (flare with my body that is).

Thats all theoretical though cause in reality I would be working with my reserve parachute hoping to get it to work (or tearing at my back trying to get something out in the case of a reserve total).

Never give up

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Re: [happythoughts] When I am going to bounce [In reply to] Quote | Reply

[It is not the impact that kills you. The impact merely breaks your bones. When you bounce, the pointy ends of the bones tear into you. The key thing is not to bounce. Therefore, aim for a spot with long grass, pasture-like. Then, right as you hit, grab the grass. This will keep you from bouncing and save your life. ]

ARe you serious? Grab the grass? I think you're joking.... right? How would you be able to grab the grass as you're smashing into the ground?

As odd as this sounds, he's absolutely right. What really kills you is the tertiary impact your brain and organs have up reacceleration in the opposite direction. Instead of everything being naturally compressed and supported, they tear because they'll pulled in the opposite direction. They used to say that the best idea was to put your arms straight in front of you so that they go into the ground and keep you there. This was called the lawndart method. It's now widely accepted that you have just as much chance of your arms breaking off at the shoulders and staying stuck in the ground, thus ending your skydiving career.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

track like a bad ass....

was just listening to NPR yesterday talk about the one frame of "falling guy" from WTC that looked 'serene' in a HD position.. you can bet if i jumped i'd be trackingfor a low window on a nearby building...B|

In my bouncing dreams I land on the bench next to manifest and someone hands me a bowl of ice cream. Gotta stick with what works.

Sounds like a plan and a half!!! I never get ice cream!

In mine (and I never had this dream until my buddy told me about his), I track for a hay bail and plow straight through it, a couple somersaults later, I'm sitting up covered in hay and grass.

I think everyones BEST bet is to hit a swamp or marsh area. You should hope to have a support group to dig you out afterwards. I've heard of WWII paratroopers bodies found 8-15 feet deep in marsh, intact.... drown [:/]

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I am absolutely joking. A lot of the time actually. That is why I put the little :ph34r: after it, so that people could be sure.

If I say something serious, you'll know it. It is rare, but it happens. B|

They used to say that the best idea was to put your arms straight in front of you so that they go into the ground and keep you there. This was called the lawndart method.

This is where the name for the Javelin container came from. Why else would you name a skydiving rig after something that flies through the air and sticks in the ground? ;)

:)

I'd keep pulling handles and clawing at my rig until something worked. It worked for Rick Duran, who says it won't work for me if it ever happens.

Otherwise, I'm going for my rigger's truck.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I hit a flag pole on an early jump, turned out wind changed direction at last minute, but wasnt too painful...didnt hit it really, just ended up with me and half the parachute one site, and the half the other side! Fun fun fun!
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1