FreeDiver

When I am going to bounce

Ah yes, found the link:

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/carkeet.html

Some highlights:

"The perfectly tiered Norfolk Island pine is a natural safety net, so if you're near New Zealand, you're in luck, pilgrim." (I was close with the "New England Fir")

"If your search discloses no trees or snow, the parachutist's "five-point landing" is useful to remember even in the absence of a parachute. Meet the ground with your feet together, and fall sideways in such a way that five parts of your body successively absorb the shock, equally and in this order: feet, calf, thigh, buttock, and shoulder. "
(Hey, they say to PLF, must be legit)

"When parachutists focus on a landing zone, sometimes they become so fascinated with it that they forget to pull the ripcord. Since you probably have no ripcord, "target fixation" poses no danger. Count your blessings."

Read and learn.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm aiming for the ground. By the time you realize it's inevitable, it will be too late to decide where to land.

The chance to see this kind of ground rush will never happen again, so keep your eyes wide open.

Like this ==>:o
Or this ==>:|
-
:)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i seem to remember terminal velocity at sea level as being nearer to 90mph. i know, even if true, not much solice...

i know a guy who should have died, but didn't. he had some stuff out (main and reserve), but not enough to slow him down to a survivable rate. he punched a whole in a hangar roof and some parts of this parachute hung up on the rafters. certainly saved his life. i think he ended up with some bruising.

not that i'm in a rush to die, but it would be one more adventure, might as well make the best of it (sure, i say this now).
--------------
Mark Smith
AFF-I, S&TA, ex-Strong Tandem, Instrument Pilot

I would think if you had some sort of generally unlandable fabric over your head trees would prolly come in handy to crash into, course if you had enough control at that point to voulantarily get over trees, you could prolly perform some sort of landing on flat ground that would hurt like hell but maybe not kill you.

as for a total reserve mal, yeah I'd prolly start clawing frantically at my back.

what do you think the critical angle is for water to make yourself skip (I've wiped going around 50 on a wave runner before skipping to a stop and was just kinda sore, didn't break anything.

the parachutist's "five-point landing" is useful to remember even in the absence of a parachute. Meet the ground with your feet together, and fall sideways in such a way that five parts of your body successively absorb the shock, equally and in this order: feet, calf, thigh, buttock, and shoulder.

at 100mph the plan of a PLF may make you feel better, but i don't the physics of it will work. your downwards velocity just can't be translated to horizontal that quickly. your bones just can't handle it (not to mention the soft guey goodness inside your body).
--------------
Mark Smith

Like Titus, "tuck and roll baby."

Seriously I'd do one of two things depending on my mood (if I didn't have a rig on. If I had a rig on, I'd pull my handles and fight with the fabric until the ground).

First, I'd lay on my back and just stare at the serenity of the sky and wait for impact (that's the dream I have).

The second option is what a couple of buddies and I came up with at Rantoul 2002. We'd track as hard as possible for a large body of water and try to skip our bodies like skipping rocks across the water.

Hell, if I'm going out of an airliner with no rig, I'm gonna try to confuse the hell out of any investigator. "199 of our passengers are in this 1 mile square area, but this one guy is 5 miles away on the side of a lake. It appears that his body skipped 20 times across the water before coming to rest on the other side."

I'd be most pissed that no one caught it on video :)

bttwb!

not that there's a good plan for this scenario, but keep in mind that tracking increases your vertical descent.

I believe you are mistaken. Won't a good track minimize vertical descent while maximizing horizontal travel? You don't generally want to fall faster during a track...

I fear that this thread is actually going to become serious. For further discussion about fallrate in tracking see links:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=388892

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=495186;search_string=tracking%20vertical%20speeds;#495186

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=95517;

Back to stupid comments about smacking in.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

flat tracking means you are losing altitude much less than a full track, but you are still losing altitude. where does the energy come from so that you can move? there's always a trade off.

try this... go as slow as you possibly can. have a friend maintain altitude that speed, then move anyway you want. do you maintain altitude with your buddy? go up? go down? even a little counts.

but we digress (one could argue that is the purpose of a forum :)
--------------
Mark Smith

I reckon i'd try and find the plane and track back into its door when its comin in to land then strap my self in for a soft landing in the Let! Piece of cake. ;)

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I fear that this thread is actually going to become serious. For further discussion about fallrate in tracking see links:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=388892

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=495186;search_string=tracking%20vertical%20speeds;#495186

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=95517;

Back to stupid comments about smacking in.

Wonderfully handled bud! Wonderful!

lol

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!