FreeDiver

When I am going to bounce

Happened to me a few weeks ago... brainlocked on final, diving hard on front risers... some obstacles... let go the risers MUCH too late and immediately got on the brakes to shorten the pendulum radius... Hit with the knees, and up again... the canopy was flying upwards... hopefully didn't get hurt physically... but everybody gave me shit... they had been even more scared than myself
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

An Air hostess survived a fall of about 35,000 feet by landing on trees when her plane was hijacked .

She's got a web site. The address has been posted on DZ.com a few times...

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Guy in a lancaster bomber fell 15,000ft without a parachute and survived during the seccond world war.

He was in the tail gun and when the plane was hit he rotated the turret to get his parachute (turret was too small to wear it). He found the chute on fire and spilling out into the fuisilage.

He was getting burnt so rotated the turret back round and jumped as he figured a bit of freefall then smack would be less pain than burning to death.

He came too in a crater in a deap snow bank underneath a canopy of fir trees and started blowing his rescue wistle. He was in occupied norway and captured. The germans varified his story and gave him a certificate to say he survived the fall. Think he came out of it with only broken ribs.

A friend of mine went for a big metallic pole on the middle of a glacier... he saved his balls but 2 destroyed ankles... couldn'walk for more than 6 months. but now he jumps again
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

The night before my first jump, one of my friends picked up my roommate's maxim magazine. It had an article about surviving dangerous situations, such as falling out of a plane. They suggested aiming for sand. Personally, i'd aim for the hardest thing i could find and hope i dont survive long enough to feel it. I wonder if i could even aim in freefall for the landing area though...

Dave

found the article

In March of 1944, Nicholas Alkemade was the tail gunner in a British Lancaster bomber on a night mission to Berlin when his plane was attacked by German fighters. When the captain ordered the crew to bail out, Alkemade looked back into the plane and discovered that his parachute was in flames. He chose to jump without a parachute rather than to stay in the burning plane. He fell 18,000 feet, landing in trees, underbrush, and drifted snow. He twisted his knee and had some cuts, but was otherwise alright.

Some stories of surviving freefall and the different "arresting" objects chosen.

http://www.manbottle.com/trivia/Terminal_Velocity.htm_answer.htm

I like the way the article endes:

In case you were wondering, terminal velocity for a human body in free-fall is roughly 120-125 miles per hour. However that is not the dangerous part... it's that sudden deceleration to 0 miles per hour at the end that does most people in.

I read that New England Firs are the best bet. You should definitely aim for those. I'm sure someone remembers the link from an earlier thread.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

It would be nice if everybody at the DZ didn't have to see you hit the ground. If you really wanted to live at all costs, go for the trees that hang over water with a sandy bottom under a few feet of snow! Really, by the time you know your fate, it probably doesn't matter.
...FUN FOR ALL!