cloud-nine

Dropzone Etiquite?(

I have just started jumping and my home DZ (Deland) I have 60 jumps and usually interduce myself once a week when I am there. It seems that even though I have already talked to them before they seem to not even know who I am and never say high. My question Is there a pecking order that I do not know about? I am always friendly and It seems that the people there are very snobby. Is this common at all dropzones or just were I am at. I have yet to experence other dropzones yet but want to know if this is something that I should expect or all dropzones different when it comes to Southern Hospotality?

Well, I know the DZ in Elsinore is not that way, I have been there a couple times (I haven't made first jump yet) and everyone has been MORE than friendly to this non-jumper. I will make my first AFF level 1 jump on Nov. 22 so I won't be a non-jumper anymore, but I have nothing but good things to say about the people I have met at Elsinore DZ
FGF #6
Darcy

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience.

At a large DZ, such as Deland, the experienced jumpers tend to be very, very, busy. Either they are on a team, jumping with an organizer, or maybe they just have a group of buddies they want to spend time with and make a bunch of jumps with.

I can't speak for anyone else but on some days, when I am jumping hard, I'm lucky to have time to pack for myself, complete a dirt dive, eat, and go to the bathroom before I have to meet the plane. And while I would like to stop and chat...sometimes I simply don't have time.

I don't know that there is a pecking order, but as with any sport, hobby, work, life...you have to pay some dues. Don't expect to be asked on every hot load, especially if you haven't really gotten to know the regulars. A good first step is to ask the DZ about load organizing. Many large DZs provide this free of charge. It gives you a chance to be on some exciting skydives and generally, the organizers will be one of the experienced regular skydivers so it gives them a chance to get to know you.

And how about the end of the day...do you spend any time after jumping is over getting to know the regulars??? This can be the best way to make friends. The same jumpers who were rushing around with no time for you in the afternoon are usually willing to drink a beer and tell skydiving lies after the jumping is done.

Be patient, and persistent...people will get to know you and you'll be making friends and really great skydives soon:)

Two words: Beer & Sleep.

If they've had beer and slept a few times since the last time they met you, there's a fair chance they won't remember for a few visits. Unless you do something they'll remember, like lip-syncing to the Divinyls "I Touch Myself" and rub your nipples ina clockwise manner. Uh, I mean...not that I would KNOW, or anything. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I really try to be nice to EVERYONE especially the new people. Sometimes I do get caught up in jumping with my "group" but if you hang around enough I'll offer you a beer and we can chat later. I have seen this at some of the larger DZ's though and do understand your frustration. Hang in there and your persistence will pay off.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Hmmm.. even at larger "commercial" centers... once a jumper has made many many dozens of jumps....
most all of the Instructional staff ought to be on a first name basis.....at least...with you..
If you just went through their training program,, then you have spent a good deal of time and money and effort on lifts, gear rental, and instruction.....I should hope that the staff could be more helpful in introducing you around to the regulars,of course they may all be busy with the "students du Jour" sooo..... take it upon yourself to say hello to those who you can observe,,, as being the experienced crowd..... Skydiving requires a certain degree of self confidence, and "backbone" and personality....... Here is where you shall begin to learn those aspects of jumping....keep a smile on your face,, and have a willingness to be friendly.....listen just a little more than you speak,,,skydive safely,,, and. you'll be fine....

Hmm, at Skydive Dallas, which is a large DZ, everyone is more than friendly. Surprisingly so. From time to time the regulars are busy doing their own thing but I have had a dozen come up to me when I’m practicing door exits on the ground and offer tips or just introduce themselves. I’ve only got 12 jumps in but fell very welcome. I guess it just varies from DZ to DZ.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

B|

I know I'm gonna get the crap beat out of me for this, but I can't help it...

Your a chick, and a cute one at that, I'm sorry, but even the places that are rude, won't be rude to you.

Just the way things work. It's a guy thing and in alot of the cases, it doesn't bleed over to the women.

Same as the situations that are purely women oriented, the women like to kill eachother (cat fights) but then are like nice to the guys.

More so on the guy side with this crap though.

jjf

just an opinion, probably crap, but I've seen it before.
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I think direct comments might be in order. The next time you talk to someone that you know is a regular, tell them EXACTLY what you have posted here. If that doesn't work, use the other posts, and go to Z Hills, or the like DZ. I have never met a skydiver that when confronted on the "Hey, I'm trying to fit in here!" way of attention, ignores that person. It will also show them that you are not there to waste their time, but to become a real skydiver! Good luck!!

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

You know.... I've been hanging around DeLand for a few years (yeah ok so I've been slacking a bit lately!), but it took me quite some time to feel the love there.
It's a busy place with a lot of people that are very focused on their training, and also there are a lot of people that come for a short period of time.

There are many great things about DeLand: tons of knowledge there, tons of airplanes, gear manufacturers close by, very nice people (when you finally get to know them) - but you are right - it's probably not the best example of southern hospitality :)Maybe you can try other DZ's on occasion - Sebastian, Z Hills and Lake Wales are all very nice places.
Sometimes travelling around the country makes me appreciate my home DZ all the more - and sometimes I come back wondering why my DZ can't be more like some of the others (Elsinore is always a favorite!).

Good luck - come and say hi to me next time we are both at the DZ - maybe you can even talk me into jumping out of one of them planes they have there :P

Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Sorry, you and Pilotdave are in error IMO (that and I have to show up for my home DZ).

Elsinore is really a nice environment. Being a guy has not soured my experience at Elsinore.

It really is the people and it is a distinctly different vibe from Perris just 10 miles away (and that is not meant as a snub at Perris...so relax! :P).

Now, Cloud-nine...I don't know what to say other than keep on going! Stay involved with any LO-ing stuff or low-jumper camps (2-way/4-way etc). Southern Hospitality doesn't really count in FL IMO...it's a lot of "212" transplants... :P:)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nahhhh, not sayin anythin bout Elsinore...

Lookin forward to jumping there in the future...

Not saying anything about any dropzone. I get along purty much everywhere.

What I was telling her, was alot of the time, many of the pretty ladies, don't get a clear pic of whats goin on, when it's shitty for many others.

WE ALL TEND TO TREAT THE PRETTY ONES DIFFERENTLY....

just an observation...

jjf

it's alright now I like Doves Ass... lol, i kill me
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Nahhhh, not sayin anythin bout Elsinore...

Lookin forward to jumping there in the future...

Not saying anything about any dropzone. I get along purty much everywhere.

What I was telling her, was alot of the time, many of the pretty ladies, don't get a clear pic of whats goin on, when it's shitty for many others.

WE ALL TEND TO TREAT THE PRETTY ONES DIFFERENTLY....

just an observation...

jjf

it's alright now I like Doves Ass... lol, i kill me

Thank you for your advise. I have noticed that if you have T/A you get thinks alot easier at the DZ and in life, but I also do the same. I am originally from Dallas so I definitly know about southern hospitality and I guess I am expecting too much I will try some other DZ's because I have spoke to other people that have said the same thing. I LOVE THIS GROUP THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Brett