PhreeZone

Cracked Vector 3 tuck tabs

Has anyone else seen Vector 3 tuck tabs breaking about 3/4 of an inch up and breaking into a sharp triangle? I've seen 3 of them this year at the DZ and I'm trying to see if its an isolated incident or if the design of the tab is one that puts undue pressure on the corner leading to it breaking off. I don't have photos at this time but I imagine someone else has photos of it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Depending on how the reserve canopy bulk is distributed, the tuck tab may not seat fully.

I've replaced a couple, which is either very few, or, compared to the number of Vectors I see, quite a few.

Mark

Could this be due to too tight a main riser? like how some rigs riser covers tend to not stay tucked if the riser is too tight?

Or maybe due to operator abuse, rough handling and tossing about?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've been hearing its almost 100% due to too much bulk in the upper ears and it stresses the tuck tabs. I just wonder how many have broken on this and if the tabs can be redesigned to help minimize this from occurring too much.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've been hearing its almost 100% due to too much bulk in the upper ears and it stresses the tuck tabs. I just wonder how many have broken on this and if the tabs can be redesigned to help minimize this from occurring too much.

I'm certain that this is common. Don't buy the tuck tab version if you don't want to deal with it, magnets are cooler anyways hehe :P:)
As for fixing the existing issue, I think what everyone else said is true. I have a rig that has the tuck tabs still and just being more careful with them has led to less problems. Actually changing the inserts is fairly easy for a rigger, maybe consider a slightly less obtrusive cut on the plastic, but they might not work as well.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Funny you say that cuz I have seen quite a few tuck tabs on MC-6s breaking lately.

If you are seeing breaks in the tuck tabs on MC-6 (T-11) reserves I would suggest you watch and re-evaluate how the tuck tabs are being seated by the people rigging them. The tuck tabs are stiff for a reason(preventing the reserve canopy from deploying if the curved pins are inadvertently removed from the closing loops) but they are not so stiff that you should be seeing breaks in them. What I have typically seen while teaching the packing of this reserve is that people tend to muscle/force the tabs into place, especially on new systems and or during PIS when everything is very tight. My guess is the cracked tuck tabs you are seeing is from this. Good technique is the key for many of the steps when closing this reserve, not muscle/force.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

"... changing the inserts is fairly easy for a rigger ...

"

thanks for the laugh!

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger

Rob, he was talking about young riggers... fairly easy for YOUNG rigger :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sorry. I should have been more specific. The main curve pin protector flap on the pack tray of the T-11/MC-6 is breaking all of the time.

That is odd as it is flexible to start with and meant to be bent into place. How are the systems being stored? It sounds like the breakage may be occurring from something other than normal use and or storage.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING