Conundrum

What do you tell people that say Skydiving isnt a sport?

THERE YOU ARE REV! I'm baack!

:) hey sweetie!

So, is skydiving a sport to you, yet? ;)

Ahhh, so to you, skydiving is a drug! :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Ahhh, so to you, skydiving is a drug! :)

i was thinking about sex as a sport

My coach says never to practice on the day of a competition. ;)

Heck, fishing is a sport. What isn't?

You come up with some rules.
Everyone (almost) follows the rules.
You see who accomplishes the desired goal...
That is a sport.

People who get in to the "my sport is better than your sport" theme should relax and let others enjoy their thing.

For a while, I thought skydiving was just a promotional idea for beer distributors because of all the beer that I seemed to be buying. :D

"It isn't a sport unless you can die from massive trauma." (not my quote!)

This is why I get really cheesed when I see poker and billiards on ESPN - those are GAMES! >:(

Perhaps we can agree that a "sport" is a form of recreation involving physical exertion or risk...
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

This is why I get really cheesed when I see poker and billiards on ESPN - those are GAMES! >:(

Perhaps we can agree that a "sport" is a form of recreation involving physical exertion or risk...

exactly why golf is a game and not a sport....

Personally, I don't think I'd call it a sport:

Sports (scored by definite things such as time or goals):

Hockey
Baseball
Basketball
Archery
Fencing
Skiing
Wrestling
Boxing
etc...

Arts: (scored more by artistic impression):

Ballet
Gymnastics
Ice Skating
Snowboarding (when judged by tricks rather than speed)
Skydiving
etc...

Well, I start off by trying to explain a competeition, then after about a minute I give up and just say "Ah fuck it. It's a sport and anyone who thinks otherwise can bite my ass". B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

[bla bla bla ]
Skydiving
etc...

Thats funny... and me who always thought truning points was a measurable technical issue, and had no artistic level to its final result..... But thats right, skydiving is all about Freeflying aint it...:P

As far as this sport vs not..... who cares.

The definition of sports is being awfully stretched lately (chess and bridge are lobying to get included in the olympics).

That webster definition up in the thread would include needle point and reading as a sport..... come on....
Remster

exactly why golf is a game and not a sport....

Whoa there. You go out, out of shape (like I was), smoking upwards of 2 packs of smokes a day (like I was), and WALK 36 holes on Sat, 36 holes on Sun, and at least 3 18 hole rounds during the week (like I did before I found skydiving), and tell me it's a game. Then show me how the exact placement of your hands, legs, hips, and elbows directly effects your swing. When you do it every day for for most of your life, you get pretty damn good at it. Then you approach the 9th green, a sure skins match worth over $500 in your grasp, and shank it over the green. Feel that stress of losing that much cash on a physical fuck up (kinda like funneling a 4 or 8 way at Nationals, huh) and tell me it's a game.

I love skydiving, but damn it, Golf IS a sport!
It's your life, live it!

Personally, I don't think I'd call it a sport:

Sports (scored by definite things such as time or goals):

Hockey
Baseball
Basketball
Archery
Fencing
Skiing
Wrestling
Boxing
etc...

Ballet
Gymnastics
Ice Skating
Snowboarding (when judged by tricks rather than speed)
Skydiving
etc...

In that case, you'd need to be more precise -

Art - Freeflying, Freestyle - these are more subjective

Sport - 4-way, 8-way etc, S&A, speed star, speed dives, tracking, CrW comp as distinctly defined.

So we have the best of both worlds.

We had the old definition of anything that Bob Hope could do and live is not a sport (golf, archery, baseball, chess,....)

I like the definition of anything with an 'artistic' score is not a sport. (Just cause it's not a sport doesn't mean it doesn't require athletism, or skill - that's where people get their skirts up over it. i.e., freeflyers aren't wimps, just highly skilled and badly misguided :D)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Rev,

and then you wonder why people make fun of you and dont respect you... golf????? Man... Thats gotta be worse then being canadian:P

Um, ahhh, hmmmm. Geeez.

Nope, Nothing worse than being a Canadian, but ya did make me wonder for a bit there Remi. ;)
It's your life, live it!

its not that dancers and gymnasts are not athletes, they are! Their art requires lots of physical training (and I've taught martial arts to some ballerinas and gymnasts who were soon kicking the tails of more experienced martial artists because of their flexibility and fitness)

Many arts have more physical demands than many sports!

First, I evaluate whether the person is a fuckhead or not. If not, I first of all compare freefall to swimming. Freefall is an element, not a sport, just like swimming. Then you can start with things like speed swimming, style, diving, waterpolo even, whatever. Same with freefall.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

The people that say that chess is not a sport are jealous of the people who can do something so incredibly difficult and intellectually demanding. Go do some math or something.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Do you ever have people that will argue to no end that it isnt a sport? What do you tell them?

Truly? I just look at them, exhale, and smile. It gives them the effect that I am thinking something about them without saying it. A tolerant attitude like when you listen to the opinion of a child, but don't think it is worth responding.