Rover

Vigil 1 fire on ground.

Recently there was a Vigil 1 that fired on the ground in New Zealand. The unit in question was manufactured in mid 2006 and it had approximately 1800 hundred jumps on it. The battery was replaced less than a year ago. It had a type 3 cutter fitted – which obviously worked – just not when it was supposed to. The unit has been used entirely in ‘tandem’ mode.
It was turned on just before midday and used for 1 jump. The main was activated at 5000 feet without complications. The gear was repacked after the jump and was placed in the gear area. The activated reserve was noticed the next day at approx 1030 am. The pilot was in the gear area at 9 am of that day and did not notice the pilot chute and bridle on the floor, so the thought is that it activated between 9 and 1030 am but this cannot be confirmed. The gear was taken away by the DZO and examined by a rigger where it was determined that the cutter had been activated.
The unit has been returned to the manufacturer for testing and has been replaced with a Vigil 2 free of charge. I trust that when the reason for this incident is determined that Advanced Aerospace Designs won’t be backward in coming forwards with their findings.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

A.A.D have made an offer in Australia via a letter to the APF which was published in the APF broadcast and the Australian Skydiver Magazine to replace any Vigil 1 with a serial number below #6600 made before August 2006, with software version 1.36 or lower.

They state that these incidents are very exceptional and confirm they could only happen in the ground or exceptionally in the activation zone.

Replacement is at a pro rata rate plus shipping.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

From page 28 of the APF News-Sheet No. 181 March 2011

“If the Vigil1 does still have a series 1 cutter then the pro-rata price is plus 50 Euro to cover the cost of the upgraded cutter plus shipping, eg 2006 Vigil1 = 200 Euro, with a series 1 cutter + 50 Euro, shipping is normally 60 Euro. Total to customer for exchange 310 Euro for New Vigil2!”

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

From page 28 of the APF News-Sheet No. 181 March 2011

“If the Vigil1 does still have a series 1 cutter then the pro-rata price is plus 50 Euro to cover the cost of the upgraded cutter plus shipping, eg 2006 Vigil1 = 200 Euro, with a series 1 cutter + 50 Euro, shipping is normally 60 Euro. Total to customer for exchange 310 Euro for New Vigil2!”

So now we know the manufacturing cost of the Vigil 2: 200-250 Euro ;)