freeflir29

Does your job wear on you?

Hmmm...so I'm sitting in a bar earlier. (Yeah I know....go figure) I was thinking......Damn...I just can't get work out of my head. It seems to be with me 24/7. Always sizing people up.....wondering what I might have to do next. It gets really tiring....I just wish the world was a nicer place I guess. [:/] So.....does your job bug you at all hours?

Nope.. not me.. I am one of those weird people I guess that loves her job. I think some of that whole self actualization thing is going on. I get to work odd hours when there is not a lot of backup unless I find myself stumped. Sometimes it is HIGH STRESS but I get to fix stuff and play with new stuff... and figure out ways to fix the new stuff that breaks....GOD I love this shit.

Oh Geekette for a big geekie kind of place;)

Well, since I don't know what you do, I guess I won't advise you not to pay attention. :P Nothing wrong with keeping aware of one's surroundings.

My "job" doesn't bug me all hours, but since my job is essentially meeting people and maintaining relationships, you never know when an opportunity may present itself. B|

Weren't you planning on moving to SoCal? Or did you just come to visit and set some fires?:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nope.. not me.. I am one of those weird people I guess that loves her job.
I miss that feeling.
After 14 years as a Phone tech, I still "live my job" and am 100% concerned of "my" customers.
I even dream about work(about 5 nights a week & O.T.:ph34r:)
I look at customers as: "How would I want a Tech to treat MY family".
At the same time my company is trying to axe all of us.:S
I'm job hunting 15 hrs per week now.:)
p.s.-if high winds don't foul out, I'll be doing my 1st TRUE attempt at >Speed Jumps<B|

I can't get away from it because I work with my family. Even if we get together at night, I'm still getting together with my boss. It gets really weird sometimes because we have 7 people in the homebuilding industry in our family. When we get together every Sunday night for dinner, guess what they end up talking about? :S Of course, I try to throw things in about skydiving and hijack their conversations. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't take my job home with me at all.....but it's a bit different with what you do. You can't help but look at the worst in people. When you deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis(or even just expect to run into 'em), it kinda turns your outlook on everybody negative. A good friend of mine did a similar job to yours for 10 years, then had to quit because it ruined his marriage, he always saw only the bad in people he didn't know(which ruined his dating life after the marriage ended), and couldn't ever separate himself from his job. Then again, he dealt with the scum nearly every minute of every night. Just don't let it get to you like that.

Mike

it kinda turns your outlook on everybody negative. A good friend of mine did a similar job to yours for 10 years, then had to quit because it ruined his marriage, he always saw only the bad in people he didn't know(which ruined his dating life after the marriage ended), and couldn't ever separate himself from his job.

Couldn't have described it better myself. [:/]

I spent the first three years of my career in a really fun job with little financial reward. I spent the next ten years trying to make big bucks in a business I hated. Now I am back in a career that I enjoy, and making good money instead of big bucks. The money was not worth it. You learn as you go, and I have learned it is best to DO what you ARE.

I don't dream about work anymore.

When we get together every Sunday night for dinner, guess what they end up talking about? :S

My wife and I work for the same mega-corp just a few doors down from each other. Therefore, we long ago established a rule NOT to talk about work once we get home unless it is absolutely necessary. As every skydiver knows, there is much more to life than work. :)

. . =(_8^(1)

Hmmm...so I'm sitting in a bar earlier. (Yeah I know....go figure) I was thinking......Damn...I just can't get work out of my head. It seems to be with me 24/7. Always sizing people up.....wondering what I might have to do next. It gets really tiring....I just wish the world was a nicer place I guess. [:/] So.....does your job bug you at all hours?

I hear ya. I read an article yesterday that talked about how you can tell you need a big change in your life. It listed all these things that I checked off one by one. Apparently, I'm in a bad relationship, my job. [:/]

Pammi

Don't really think of my job directly when I am not working. Seeing as I am a tech guy, going home and playing on my computers causes me to think " Hey this works better this way" and lets me apply solutions to the workplace.

I've seen first hand what can happen when people bring there work home with them and it's not pretty. People get all wound up and anything sets them off making them unplesent to be around.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

Oh stop it. There are some people who aren't cut out for it, but you are not one of them, Clay.

Whenever you're carrying the gun, and even when you're not, you are scanning the room for threats. Just remember that you are scanning for fools that will never be able to defeat you, and will rue the day that they rolled the dice and they stopped at your feet.

They will give you the opportunity to let them die for his cause ;). Or be arrested, but that's their choice.

I loved it Duderon, and I miss it. No in box, no voicemail, just a long line of people who could either go with the program or let me put them in a cage.

Cheer up, dude. If your customers actually needed "customer service", it would be a whole different thing. ;)

But it still sucks to be in a position where you always see the bad in everybody.....yea, some people are definitely more cut out for it than others, but I don't think anybody with half a conscience(I think Clay may have at least HALF ;)) can do it with no effect on the rest of their life.

Mike

I don't think anybody with half a conscience(I think Clay may have at least HALF ) can do it with no effect on the rest of their life.

It's not so much the fact that I'm always looking. It's more the fact that I spend every day looking and haven't found anything yet. If I got to shoot people once a week or so life would be good. It's all the waiting that wears on you. So much training......so little action. :S