quesera

can you construct a custom weight belt safely?

Call me cheap, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why an empty weight belt costs as much as it does. Is there any safety reason why a person could not get some high quality material and sew a weight belt themselves? It seems that a seamstress could be putting these things together at half the cost.

Is there any special reason not to do that?

Is there any safety reason why a person could not get some high quality material and sew a weight belt themselves? Is there any special reason not to do that?

Yes, there is a "special reason" why you shouldn't do that... I'd be happy to explain further, but if I divulge that kind of info on a public forum, it wouldn't be all that 'special' now, would it? :P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I have one that I got put together by my rigger, and once you figure material costs, plus the rigger's time, it comes out about the same. You DO, however, get one just like you want it. In my case, I'm happy with the result.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

A 'nice' weight belt will be a well-built, well-finished product that should last for many years, and that you know is going to work.

A home-made weight belt may or may not be well-built, the average seamstress is not used to building things 'tough'. May or may not be constructed of strong enough materials, and may or may not work right the first time. If you have to rebuild or redesign, that will cost extra.

One of the main things to keep in mind is that a failure of the belt can send one of the weights, or the whole belt, crashing down to earth on top of what (or who) ever happens to be under you.

You could try to make one, or you could consider that if you need a weight belt, you need a safe, reliable one that will last for many jumps. How much do they go for anyway? $100?

>It seems that a seamstress could be putting these things together at
>half the cost. Is there any special reason not to do that?

Not if you get a good one. Of course, good seamstresses aren't cheap, either. Or get a machine and do it yourself. (My guess - after you make one you'll say "hmm, I guess that's why they cost so much,")

Some notes:

Always use two fasteners. A broken fastener isn't uncommon, and if you drop a 12lb weightbelt you can easily kill someone on the ground.

Size pockets bigger than you think you need. It will make the belt a lot more comfortable. Also allow about 20% for shrinkage when it has weights in it.

Call me cheap, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why an empty weight belt costs as much as it does. Is there any safety reason why a person could not get some high quality material and sew a weight belt themselves? It seems that a seamstress could be putting these things together at half the cost.

Is there any special reason not to do that?

Just go get some ankle weights and have them sew them together, add a fastener.
$20 total for the weights and sewing.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Any reason you can't wear the weight belt under your jumpsuit? That will prevent it from falling to the ground.

in case you jump any close to a water body, it wouldn't help you with the swimming....
plus if you need a weightbelt, your jumpsuit should already be pretty tight :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Not if you get a good one. Of course, good seamstresses aren't cheap, either. Or get a machine and do it yourself. (My guess - after you make one you'll say "hmm, I guess that's why they cost so much,")

+1 on that (especially considering skydiving equipment). I`m speaking from my experience. 90% of the time I made something by myself, or through other means, except buying new and pre-made it was just not worth it, or did not last for long, or had some flaw that made me think "why didn`t I think of this?".

So I guess you can make it safe, but in the end you`ll probably see that it could have been better to just buy the damn thing in the first place.
dudeist skydiver #42

I've always made weight-belts using para-pak and 3/4" trim tape, high quality webbing and buckles. I wanted them to last for a long time and serve the jumper the best I could. You don't just slap them together. It takes time to make a quality weight belt. Also, why shouldn't a seamstress get the same kind of money for her work as a rigger. Most seamstresses do very high quality work and should recieve due compensation. A rigger though, would more than likely have a much better idea of what needs to be done. Trymaking one yourself and see how you feel when you're done.

Chuck

My wife made them (cordura, nylon straps, double buckles, sewn/1 lb weights) and my first one is still like new and nearly 10 years old.

The price is about right for materials and time. Since shot prices have increased dramatically, she doesn't do them except for friends now - and they have to bring their own shot. Same labor rate as for suit making/repairs.

One of the biggest time eaters is making the weight packets themselves.

I'm pretty disappointed in new weights I've seen - they are crappy plastic bags filled with shot and just stapled shut (instead of fabric and sewn). There should be a HUGE discount for that.

She's been asked by a lot of people that have these newer products to make more secure weight packages from these plastic bags.

I really liked the old Velocity sportswear design. too bad they aren't around anymore (AFAIK) - the 10 pounder had a flatter lumbar-shaped back of permanent 6 pounds on board - 4 pounds removable on the ends in 1 pound packs. Super Comfy. The only change I'd have on that excellent design would be to have strapping that went all the way around the belt rather than end sewn. for security.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I really liked the old Velocity sportswear design. too bad they aren't around anymore (AFAIK) - the 10 pounder had a flatter lumbar-shaped back of permanent 6 pounds on board - 4 pounds removable on the ends in 1 pound packs. Super Comfy. The only change I'd have on that excellent design would be to have strapping that went all the way around the belt rather than end sewn. for security.

I've worn 5 or 6 different weight belts of other peoples. I a Velocity Sportswear weight belt and it is by far the most comfortable and awesome weight belt I've used and I am really lucky to own one. 15lbs and you can't even tell its there.

I just know one who would cut me a deal. And yes, she can sew "tough" stuff. :)

That's only part of it, the other part is knowing what to sew and how. If you do have a belt made for yourself, be sure to have a rigger take a look at it, both off and on you (with your jumpsuit and rig on) before jumping it, just to be sure it looks 'safe'. Try not to wait until you're on a 10 min call to do this, have it checked out before you manifest.

The belts are still being made. Beg RiggerLee for one.

nah - my wife, Skimmer, can make one eventually. But it's early in the season and she's got a lot of suits to build. As the spouse of a suitmaker - I only get priority in the winter and to test new designs :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants