RoryJ

Comprehensive list of repack cycles?

So, a foreign rig came in and my coworker and I wanted to make sure that it was in date. A bit of searching online FINALLY got us our answer (one year for a French rig), but I thought that it might be helpful to have as many repack cycles listed in one place for ease of search, so please have at it with listing them here, or if there is an external FAI source, feel free to link that.

USA? Canada? Slovenia? Ukraine? Russia? South Africa?
Not again!

United States = 6 months 180 days

Provided it's a nylon parachute, not a silk one. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Sweden:

Tandem and Student equipment: 6 months
Sportgear: 6 months but can be prolonged for another 6 months.

For the repack to be valid more than 6 months it has to be overlooked by a rigger.
This overlook can be made earlisest at moth 5 after a repack.

So, a foreign rig came in and my coworker and I wanted to make sure that it was in date. A bit of searching online FINALLY got us our answer (one year for a French rig), but I thought that it might be helpful to have as many repack cycles listed in one place for ease of search, so please have at it with listing them here, or if there is an external FAI source, feel free to link that.

USA? Canada? Slovenia? Ukraine? Russia? South Africa?

US TSO'd reserve in US TSO'd h/c (for example, Tempo reserve in Icon container) = 180 days if packed by an FAA certificated rigger, 0 days if packed by a non-FAA rigger.

Special rules for foreign rigs in the US apply only if:
. . . (1) The system is not approved by the FAA (that is, either the reserve or the h/c or both are not TSO'd); and
. . . (2) The rig belongs to the non-US jumper (who must be a visitor, not a resident), who is the only one who gets to jump it; and
. . . (3) The rig is legal to jump in the owner's home country.

Many folks miss (1) above, and mistakenly assume that only (2) and (3) need to be true for the rig to be legal to jump in the US.

Mark

Not a rigger here, but to understand correctly,
if it is a foreign jumper visiting from (let's say) Switzerland, rig packed 11 months ago...
a) non-tsoed he is fine and can jump without repack
b) e.g. vector 3 - he has to get a repack before jumping in the US

Is this correct?

if it is a foreign jumper visiting from (let's say) Switzerland, rig packed 11 months ago...

Is this correct?

Yes, if any part of the gear is TSO’d and by an FAA Certified rigger.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Is this correct?

Sparky

Michalm21: almost entirely correct. If the reserve were TSO'd, the Vector-3 repack would have to be done by an FAA-certificated rigger to be legal in the US. There are several FAA riggers in Switzerland.

Sparky: Not quite. If the reserve is TSO'd and the h/c is not (or vice versa), then the system is not FAA-approved and foreign jumper rules apply.

Mark

switzerland, 1 year

Not exactly. It is according to manufacturers instructions, but not more than 1 year

pretty much every mfg. that supplies a reasonable H/C that is still in buisness then.. asks for one year.

http://www.swissskydive.org/cms/upload/Material/Manufacturers_guidelines_2010.pdf
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you are right, most are up to 1 year, but not all.

Plus the list is not up to date and contains imprecisions.

And some people do interpret the rules and guidelines as they want to read them...

Like some people STATING that for example their JAvelin+PD reserve has a 1 year packjob validity, even if it has been packed in the US by a FAA certificated rigger. The way I interpret it is that a FAA rigger's packjob, packed in the US, on that kind of gear, is (for the moment) valid 180days. Reason for which in Switzerland I pack under my Swiss rigger license, which gives me mostly 1year packjobs
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sparky: Not quite. If the reserve is TSO'd and the h/c is not (or vice versa), then the system is not FAA-approved and foreign jumper rules apply.

Mark

You are right Mark. I went back and read through some updates, Federal Register /Vol. 66, No. 90 and a paper written by Tom Buchanan,I came up with this. Let me know if you agree.

1. The equipment must be owned by the foreign jumper.

2. The jumper can NOT be a citizen of the United States, or a resident alien. A dual citizen (example: Canadian/US) must comply with the United States standards.

3. Either the reserve or container must be UNAPPROVED. If both components are TSO'd and can be used in the United States by a United States citizen, then United States standards apply. So, a French citizen jumping a Javelin and a PD reserve in the United States must comply with all United States regulations, including a 120 day repack by an FAA rigger, with a seal applied to the reserve.

4. If the reserve OR the harness/container is NOT approved for use in the United States AND the equipment is approved for use in the jumpers home country, it can be used by the foreign jumper/owner in the United States under his home country rules.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i kinda asked this question some time ago; if i were to come to the US for jumping, i'd make darn sure my reserve would be in the 180 days cycle for that ANYWAY..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

ii'd make darn sure my reserve would be in the 180 days cycle for that ANYWAY..

When travelling with your gear, always make sure it has been freshly repacked, or be ready for a new repack on arrival.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Is this correct?

Sparky

Michalm21: almost entirely correct. If the reserve were TSO'd, the Vector-3 repack would have to be done by an FAA-certificated rigger to be legal in the US. There are several FAA riggers in Switzerland.

Mark

Thank you!

Poland: 180 days.

BTW

It is somehow funny that better off is when the foreign (like me) has none TSO'd gear, otherwise he falls into US FAA regulations even though he is not US citizen/resident.

At some point I think this is wrong IMHO. As foreign I should fall under My national / federation rules as long as they comply with manufacturer spec.

It was somehow annoying for me to be asked at a US DZ to repack my reserve (Omega container and Techno reserve) to comply with FAA 120 days repack cycle as the reserve was packed in 180 days cycle.

j.
Back to Poland... back home.

It is somehow funny that better off is when the foreign (like me) has none TSO'd gear, otherwise he falls into US FAA regulations even though he is not US citizen/resident.

At some point I think this is wrong IMHO. As foreign I should fall under My national / federation rules as long as they comply with manufacturer spec.

I agree. However, the rule now is a great improvement over the previous rule, which required US-approved and FAA rigger-packed equipment for everybody, including visitors.

Mark

If both components are TSO'd and can be used in the United States by a United States citizen, then United States standards apply.

To add to what MJOSparky wrote, the approach I take with this rule is to destroy your rig's TSO if you live in a place where it doesn't matter.

For example, Rigging Innovation writes this about the big orange TSO warning label on their rigs:

FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE ORANGE WARNING LABEL WILL RESULT IN THE TSO BEING NULL AND VOID!

So if you mess up your rig's warning label, and that's legal in your country, you can be jumping a non TSO'd rig and follow your own country's rules when visiting the US and spending money there.

(It has however still been debated whether the rule applies to components that were originally TSO'd, or are currently in approved TSO configuration, but the latter interpretation is a reasonable one.)

Hi mark,

the rule now is a great improvement over the previous rule, which required US-approved and FAA rigger-packed equipment for everybody, including visitors.

The 1962 World Championships were held in the US & I have not a clue as to how they handled this; probably just did nothing; don't ask - don't tell.

Just prior to the 1972 World Championships ( that were being held in the US ) I wrote to Dan Poynter ( who was an official for the '72 Championships ) and asked him how he was going to handle this problem for the foreign jumpers. His response was 'Like minds think alike.' He also said that they were working on this problem. They must have gotten some type of waiver from the FAA because the Championships were held without any problems with the foreign gear.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I actually wrote Dan a letter because there was no internet in those days. I know, kinda hard to believe, huh? :P

here in ireland it is a 180 days - and i am a FAA Master Rigger.
just a point i like to make, i would not pack any gear that did not have a TSO label on it. maybe i misread the thread and what was sayed.but i dont think any rigger would repack any gear without a TSO label C-23 at least but preferable D-23.

rodger

maybe i misread the thread and what was sayed.but i dont think any rigger would repack any gear without a TSO label C-23 at least but preferable D-23.

I didn't check but I may have been the only one bringing up the TSO issue. After all, there are other certifications out there too, such as JTSO's, and some older French certifications, so I don't know what is needed in different countries in Europe or around the world.

It just happens that in Canada, where I am, that no TSO at all is necessary except for demo jumps.

(Canada has been 180 days for about a decade now.)