ArizonaStone

Freefly Suit Question

Hello! I was at the DZ this weekend and used a rental freefly suit and it was a bit baggy. When I asked the store clerk why it was so baggy she said that that was how freefly suits are.

I have seen many people wear freefly suits that are slim. I have even worn them in the wind tunnel. Initially I thought it had to do with size and drag, etc. Later that day, I saw a person about my size wearing a baggy freefly suit as well.

My question is, when is it preferrable to use a baggy suit versus a slim suit? I am a 5'9" 160 lb guy and have been told to wear a slim suit to increase my fall rate. I am confused when I see others my size wearing baggy suits. Am I missing something?
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

-Benjamin Franklin

Usually a larger baggier FF suit is meant for heavier people who have trouble staying with lightweights such as I (exit weight of 140lb).

A larger FF suit will also make it somewhat easier to FF initially but allows you less room for movement because after a certain size all that you can do basically is just sit there. I've heard it hinders your flying ability as later on down the line when you improve you'll have to unlearn the bad habits that you developed within the baggy suit because you can get away with bad form.

A tighter one will help you to fall at a faster fall rate as there is less drag, but initially will be a wee bit more difficult to learn how to FF in. A guy your size I'd definitely recommend a semi tight/regular fit FF suit. G'luck flying out there and learn well !
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Thanks for the help. One of my instructors advised that I should opt for the slim suit. I am hesitant though as I'm not really ready for freefly and I'm concerned that as I am building my skills in RW, wearing a freefly suit could be a hindrance in terms of not having grips.
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

-Benjamin Franklin

At your size your probably going to want a tighter fitting suit. I'm 6' and about 195 exit weight, when I had a baggier suit I found it difficult to keep up with most people in their sit without having to stand repetitively. I now have a pretty tight suit and I'd much rather change my body position to slow down than speed up.

My recommendation would be to go with a faster fitting suit. Good luck.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

My suits used to be quite a bit baggy but single fabric layer. They were flapping around and not really helping. A baggier suit will not make you fall much slower.
Recently I switched to a slim suit that has cordura, double layers on arms and legs, and it provides more drag than my old bit-baggy suit. However, I have a more precise feel for the airflow because there is no flapping. Much more precise fly-feel.

Freefly suits used to be baggy, the modern ones aren't anymore. If you look at old-timer pics, even RW jumpsuits used to be baggy way back when, neither are they anymore (except of course accounting these weird saussage-like leg and arm-expanders the attach to them ;))

The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Thanks for the help. One of my instructors advised that I should opt for the slim suit. I am hesitant though as I'm not really ready for freefly and I'm concerned that as I am building my skills in RW, wearing a freefly suit could be a hindrance in terms of not having grips.

It's not just grips (though that's part of it), it's also booties and overall design and flight characteristics. That's why, for starters, I'd recommend you get a RW suit first, if you're serious about developing more than just basic RW skills before moving on to FF.

Modern FF suits and RW suits are designed for 2 different kinds of flying. I know it's costly, but if you want to learn to fly really well in each discipline, you should probably get 2 different suits. Fortunately, there's a pretty brisk used suit market out there if you want to economize - but if you do go the used route, make sure you get suits that fit your body well.

because after a certain size all that you can do basically is just sit there

Incorrect.

I fly an ultrabaggy FF suit because of the range it affords me. I can freefly with flat and tandems, but also freefly with fast groups hitting 200MPH. I am not a big chap, 5'11 and 165-170lbs. I have flown easily with flat formations, and with big guys in tight suits.

AFAIK, the new slim slick suits, that the "pros" are using, affords faster and more efficient movement compared to baggy suits, important when trying to turn points in competition.... Please correct me if this is not the point of these suits..?

I guess it ends up what you want to be doing. I wanted to have this range and choice of who I freefly with, and thus why I got the big suit.

I would say its actually harder to fly than the slimmer suits, as you have to use technique more to maintain relative speeds with people that choose to fly slimmer suits, and at the start, people struggle with the massive amount of drag these suits have, so a slimmer suit (or even shorts as I have seen) is actually easier to learn in than the baggy suits.

I am not sure what you mean by bad habits caused by flying a bigger suit? As I feel that in using a bigger suit, I have a wider range of being able to fly both baggy and slim, and think that bad form is not something baggy suits allow you to get away with?

Although what I see recently, is that the body position in flying slim suits is quite different to how I learnt and continue to fly, and I dont have experience in the range these new forms and suits allow (I dont use the tunnel)? Education please! :)
Just my old 2 halfpennies worth....

I am not sure what you mean by bad habits caused by flying a bigger suit? As I feel that in using a bigger suit, I have a wider range of being able to fly both baggy and slim, and think that bad form is not something baggy suits allow you to get away with?

baggy vs tight - well, I disagree with you here, IMO. the only 'wider' range you are getting is on the slowing down end (but you might need that) - and the ability to wear more stuff under the suit:D

you are trading off flapping material (which might be very much needed) for smooth airflow (very much desired) - flapping material sheds little vortices constantly which is much like flying around while gremlins are randomly pushing at you all the time. Let alone the occasional factor when a segment just simply grabs a chunk of air and tosses you.

the tight suit gives much more control - you are flying your body - than the baggy suit where the suit is trying to fly you

every freefly suit I've ever bought has been more and more form fitting, and each time, my skill level has gone up immediately as a step function. Same thing happened in the RW suit evolution.

that said - some people just really need that extra drag and HAVE to sacrifice performance to get the drag they need

before considering just a big floppy suit, I encourage fast fallers to go with multiple layers and higher drag materials first and try to maintain as best they can a more streamlined fit

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just to clarify, I am not a fast faller! ;) - I went baggy so I could slow to flat speeds... I guess unwittingly I went for that trade off.

So you would agree they are harder to fly, unlike a poster above that says for beginners they are easier? (Just to clarify for beginners).

Ive not flown a slim fitting specific FF suit, just flown slim fitting normal everyday clothing... so I cant really comment on the skills increase through this.

I think I said it, that the slim fit allows more efficient movement, (performance), and I guess in the end it does come down to the flying you want to do.

I posted more as I felt that some of the assumptions of baggy suits were incorrect (bad habits, easy for begginers, only allow you to sit there, etc).

Maybe I am just stuck in the past, and need to move onward into these tunnel things and slicker slimmer suits... :)
I do like your description of the gremlins though!