DJatLarge

Skydive Video Editors...

Calling all video editors...

I edit some of the video's for my drop zone. I can't shoot yet due to my lack of experience. Only an "A" license holder, but one of these days I'll be flying the camera too.

My question is: What software do you like to use to edit if you edit on a computer. Any favorite tricks, tips etc? I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit at home or on my laptop. Pretty good software for home use.

Anything special that you like to do to make your videos stand out? Music?? Lables?? Still pictures??

well my first video eiting program was mgi's "videowav" and it worked for me when i was at that level (very begining) but now have studio 8 and well it has a lot of potential.... wish i could aford premier though.... the 500 price tag say no though......

Final Cut Pro 3. It's expensive and you need a good mac with a LOT of hd space, but i love it. Thankfully it was bought with a work budget for work related uh, work, but it's also proving very useful for editing skydiving movies ;)
I just finished my 1st project - it will be uploaded somewhere soon, so i'll let you know when and where - much like you, i'm just editing right now due to lack of experience, but it's great to get into that now, so when you do start getting your own footage you will be good to go (it will take weeks of use, if not longer before you are adept at making what you are happy with and would consider a good movie - i would estimate easily over 200 hours on this 10 min film i've made, but it would take me 1/10 of that time to do it again now that i've taught myself all the different techniques)

Stroyboarding is important too, as is music selection. As my tutor told me, try to go against the grain by not cutting footage to the beat, try and cut the action to the beat instead - it makes for a far more vibrant and creative piece.

As for music - there are lots of posts on this, search on "soundtrack" and "music" in All Forums, you'll get a few ideas!B|

Have fun! Nothing like putting together a nice sequence with an experienced jumpers cool footage and a killer track that compliments the video well!Damn i need to get out more.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

premiere 6.5... once you get to know it, it prooves to be really simple...

hehe, last week, i spent 3 hours trying to figure out a way how to play a clip backwards on the timeline... i was allmost ready to pay a visit to a psichiatrist as my 0,0005 g of logic kicked in: set the duration of the clip to -100... and guess what, it worked!!! :S;)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I recently completed a six song, skydiving movie which was edited using ULead's VideoStudio version 7. The end product is very good and speeding up or slowing down the video footage was sure a nice feature to have. But all is not perfect as VideoStudio doesn't really implement a structure data store (database) and once you get a lot of video clips, find them can be a hassle.

Premier is consider the best of the best. But it also comes with a much higher price tag than what I paid for VideoStudio. To each their own I guess. My editor is not perferct, but it does the job cheaper than Premiere.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The best way to get a cheap copy of premiere is to buy it bundled with some other manufacturer's firewire card.

A quick search found this card from Pinnacle bundled with Premiere 6.5 for $200.

I've bought regularly from B&H and never had any trouble there.

Edited to add clicky link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=&A=ShowProduct&Q=&sku=296427

Well, I won $100 at the SkydiveChicago Summerfest for a video I edited so that makes me an expert;);)

I don't think it matters much what transitions and fancy effects you use and what package you run. The most important thing is to keep it interesting**, cut out all extraneous (boring) stuff, and to keep the music appropriate and synchronized with the action. Just because some band is your favorite doesn't mean everyone else will agree.

There are even classical pieces that work very well with skydiving action!

It is better to leave the audience wanting more than to have them lose interest because it's too long.

PS my definition of interesting: 1) I'm featured in itB|, or 2) It shows someone really screwing up, or 3) It shows a really first rate skydive (of any sort) or some spectacular scenery in the background.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The best way to get a cheap copy of premiere is to buy it bundled with some other manufacturer's firewire card.

A quick search found this card from Pinnacle bundled with Premiere 6.5 for $200.

I've bought regularly from B&H and never had any trouble there.

Edited to add clicky link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=&A=ShowProduct&Q=&sku=296427

Was this a full version?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've been working in television for over 10 years.

Go back to college, get out while you can nightinggale!!! ;)

hehe... I did. Finishing up the master's degree in education this spring, and starting work on a JD (juris doctor, law degree) in fall. I still do editing stuff, but only on my own vids, and just for fun. I got sick of getting shouted at by directors in the industry.

As far as I can tell from the add, it is a full version. I bought a different Pinnacle product, (the Pinnacle DV200), a couple of years ago for just over $200 and it included a full version of Premiere 6.0.

I don't use any of the dv200 tools anymore but the dv200 firewire card works with the Microsoft firewire drivers and Premiere can use that card just fine.

At work I use a Discreet Edit 6 station with a Matrox Digisuite LE card. Discreet Combustion 2.1 for compositing. I ordered Combution 3 for three of our work stations today! It's gonna be sweet. :)
For sports editing I like jump back style graphics, font slop text effects, black and white, slo-mo, time warping, reverse motion, various motion effects, luminance dissolves, and animated masks. It depends on what the music is and the content of course. Stick with cuts and dissolves as much as possible.

Start with a script and shoot for it.

Editing at home is not nearly as glamorous. Yet.:ph34r:
----------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, cheat death. If you steal, steal a woman's heart. If you fight, fight for a brother. If you drink, drink with me.