ChasingBlueSky

Car Salesman or Real Estate?

I've been pondering a 2nd job to help make some extra cash. I'm sure I could try to find some sort of IT job, but I am really burned out on that field. I've also spent the majority of my jobs in communication or sales positions.

I'm curious to hear from anyone that may have tried out or currently are in these jobs - what do you think?

Oh, since I've never done either one, it would be entry level.

Let me put it this way... I've met quite a few car salesman in my life and thought all of them where assholes just by the persona they gave off... two of them I knew personally and where assholes!! NOW on the other hand I've dealt with a couple of real estate agents whom I enjoyed there company and were very helpful... One I knew personally and was very nice!!! Hopes that kinda asnwers your question!! Coarse thats just my opinion... I ...No offence to any car salesman out there..I'mm sure theres a couple good apples in the bunch!;)

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

My sister gave up a career of marketing and business development in the e-Commerce and became a real estate agent in Connecticut late this past summer (August/September). She started at the ground level and should finish the year with just under $5M closed. Based on her core market (Fairfield County), I'm guessing she'll close 10x that in 2004. Real Estate is typically 100% commission and requires a lot of phone work, a strong familiarity with the community and people. You certainly reap what you sow in real estate (my sister rocks). Personally, if I were considering this, I would be preparing to go full-bore and forget the "2nd job".

Auto-sales. I don't know if dealerships look for part-time sales people. But, this may be more feasible. You have less control, but if you're at a good dealer (Honda, Toyota, some GM or Ford) your customers will come to you.

Personally, I would opt for the auto sales. But that's because I'm a car nut. Both options are better than telecom sales (believe me, I know!). :P

Consider something else: Having a second job affects your income-tax bracket too.

Auto sales has a bad rap, but for a lot of old reasons. Most people don't realize what they're asking an auto dealer to do with a trade in, financing, DMV, prep, etc. Buying a car in this manner is executing 3 or 4 separate transactions. When the dealer is operating on razor thin margins, many people get soured in the process. But, just as often, a well prepared customer can walk in a show room and two hours later be driving off the lot.

Real estate ties you in with the community though. Plenty of repeat business too. The commissions are a little weird and you have to file taxes every 3 or 4 months, or something (all based on my own observations and not my experience).

Good luck!B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I've been car shopping twice in the last two years - which includes my recent trips looking at the 04 Prius (which is a kick ass car, the Civic has NOTHING on this thing). So far I've have nothing but great things to say about the salesman - not one slimmy one, and the one tonight was down right helpful.

I'm not sure how to go about getting into Real Estate here in IL, but I'm sure with Google I can figure that out later. I'm certain the car sales route would be the easier and quicker route....but real estate would pay off better in the end.

Not sure I want to fully trust my income on markets that fully rely upon the economy.....or if I did, how hard is it to survive in the rough times. I need to hit the labor web pages and look at average salary....off to do that now

I just quit my job and I'll be starting a career in real estate. My research showed me that there is no money in part-time real-estate.

Car dealerships need more staff on the weekends, and you might be able to get on doing that. It's a different kind of thing, cause any money breaks you give to the customer come right off YOUR commission, not the sales manager's or the dealer's.

I think a better part-time choice is car sales.