skyyhi

First Ever Skydive. . .Incredible

Okay, so I wrote this post for my non-skydiving friends who wanted to know about the experience. . .it doesn't quite do the experience justice though. . .It was an incredible experience today. . .I posted my freefall picture. . .

Okay, I finally did it. . .it was FABULOUS. . .There is this incredible thing that happens when you leave the safety of the plane. . .course nothing I say is going to do this day any justice. . .

My journey began yesterday with my AFF instructor, Mark. He spent several hours teaching me how to handle my parachute and what I was going to do during the freefall and about what to do if I have a parachute malfunction. After class it was to rainy and cold so the jump got postponed until today.

Today dawned bright and sunny. A great day for a skydive. Suddenly the nerves set in. I really was going to jump out of an airplane. We got to the dropzone, I checked in, and a little later met with my jumpmasters. They got me suited up in my jumpsuit and walked me through my jump. Then suddenly we were on the plane and I knew I was in for a truly incredible experience.

As we climbed to altitude, my jumpmasters, Yoyo and Doug, had me talk through my skydive. We checked the altitude and as we approached jump altitude, everyone in the plane began doing gear checks and putting on helmets. A few moments later the door goes up and people start jumping out of the plane. We slide down closer and closer to the door until it is my turn to jump. We have to close the door of the plane and go back around because we are too far out from the landing area. Then the door opens again, my jumpmasters ask me if I am ready and then I am in the door, ready to jump. Suddenly time just kind of stands still. There is this incredible blast of cold air that hits me in the face. I prepare to do my count, I count, and then we are out of the plane. Upon exiting the plane a momentary panic sets in, then I arch and realize I am incredibly stable and controlled in this flight and I begin to look around. Time seems to have stood still to allow this incredible experience to happen. I do my objectives that the jumpmasters have outlined for me and then it is time to open my parachute. Out comes this beautiful, perfectly rectangular parachute that is just incredible. I get to just absorb the world below me as I float safely down towards it. The world just doesn't look quite the same from up there. Trivial things seem to melt away as I explore this new frontier from the air. As I get closer to earth I have to land the parachute so from the radio, my jumpmaster talks me through the landing. . .I get to the ground safely, only having to put a knee down to keep me from tumbling. It was easier to land than I thought it was going to be.

This experience has changed me forever. . .I think it is safe to say that I will be back in the sky very soon! Incredible.
FGF #6
Darcy

Yes, welcome! But I will say, "Welcome to your new way of life," because that's what it is when you enjoy it as much as you seem to have. B|

Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll look forward to seeing more of you here. :)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Welcome Darcy, to your new family as it's already been stated. Although no other jump will ever feel the same as the one you just made, they ALL will feel unique and incredible it their own way. Your one of the fortunate few (and I say few as a matter of perspective) who is lucky enough to have just had a life altering experience. You'll never see the sky the same way again, you'll never look at an aircraft again without thinking.. hmmm that'll be cool to jump from, and you'll never fly in a commercial plane again without looking out the window and thinking to yourself.. hmmm where would I put down at from here?

Ohhh by the way.. your bank account will never look the same either! hehehehe

Welcome to the family!

SMA#18

Darcy,

It was a pleasure to be your FJC instructor. You were the best student in class! B| Despite the crummy rain yesterday, I am glad that you were able to jump today. And by the looks of your picture, the weather was very nice at altitude.;) See you 'round the DZ.

Shark

I love stories like this, they always bring me back to the freaked out me who could never get out the door far enough for my JMs. Good thing that went away :P;):D

Blue Skies!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I am so happy for you, Darcy. :)

...and I know that you truly have skydiving in your blood. I can tell.

B| Well, I was right. You are a skydiver, through and through, as proven by this post.

Btw, I loved reading your rendition of your skydive. I especially liked this part:

Suddenly time just kind of stands still. There is this incredible blast of cold air that hits me in the face.

Good God, I remember that. I remember being so incredibly shocked by that blast of cold air on my face (dead of winter) and by the utter violence of the wind (King Air...and first jump ever was an AFF1...first time on DZ...first anything skydiving related!!!) that my mind went completely blank at the door! Sadly, I death-gripped the door with my arms while trying not to keel over on my shakey, "spaghetti/wet noodle" legs after that death walk to the door!!!. I was not a willing participant in my exit. :$ However, once I was out...it was a beautiful skydive. I arched, and everything fell into place.

I remember being where you are right now, just after the first skydive...walking on clouds...daydreaming of the wide, blue sky. I remember not being able to shake my thoughts of how awe-inspiring it felt to have experienced even once the magic that is freefall. I remember crying freely many times afterwards at the revelations that it gave to my heart and soul...and so I was born again, into this new life. Now, you, too, understand what internal nirvana can be experienced in the sky. You will never be the same.

Once again, Darcy, I am sooo very proud of you. You had awesome instructors on both days and did a fabulous job! Congratulations! I cannot wait until we can jump together...after you get your "A", of course. You have so much to be proud of and so much to look forward to...

So... I did 4000th on the day you did your 1st. I can't help but feel that we shared the same feelings.

Usually, it's the people who have lower numbers who say "numbers don't count" but I agree completely.

I did an AFF L1 this weekend, a Tandem, an 8 way (which was a 1st for 2 jumpers with around 100 dives that did really well) and a couple of more personal dives too. I know why I did my 2nd jump - and why I hope to keep going.

We have the most special sport in the world. And its the people - and the visuals - that make it so.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

congrats!!!! it's incredible how such a well written review of a 1st jump can bring a smile on my face... i know it won't go away for the rest of this rainy monday :)
thanks!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Congratulations, and welcome to the family!

Stick with us, and you'll have many new friends, nay, new family members, and a whole new lifestyle. This is not just a hobby, not just another sport like golf or mountain biking, it's much, much more!

(((((HUGS)))))!

And BEER!!!!

Easy Does It

Thanks all of you for your words. . .today I am still just amazed at how I feel. It is just too awesome for words. . .

And yes, I am so happy to have found my new family. . .Thank you all for your words of welcome. . .

Yes, the beer was flowing. . .lol.
FGF #6
Darcy

Wow, such warm welcomes from all of you. I would just like to thank everyone here and everyone who was at Elsinore this weekend. Everyone took so much time to make me feel so welcome. . .

Yep, I'll definitely be broke. . .but the world will never look quite the same again.
FGF #6
Darcy

Gee, I don't know. . .initially it was supposed to be Mark and Yoyo, but when it rained on Saturday and the jump was postponed to Sunday, I got to have Doug and Yoyo. . .talk about luck of the draw. . .

Doug was great. . .he did my debriefing and was surprised by how acutely I remembered the jump. Yoyo kept me from getting nervous. . .he also kept me laughing. . .

It was a great experience. . .
FGF #6
Darcy