theonlyski

Chutingstar packing hook

Any of you guys using these or have used them?

Mike G swears by it, and it would probably be nicer than wrapping the pullup cord around a packing paddle and trying to hold it on there while you pull it up.

Just looking for some real world 'yay' or 'nay'

Thanks guys!

ETA: LINK
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That hook looks nicely built but I just use a piece of hardwood dowel, pulling up under a knot in the reserve pullup cord.

(You do know the knot trick, right? No need to wrap the cypres loop pullup cord a million times around a packing paddle to keep it from slipping.)

Just make sure the dowel material from the hardware store is not cheap soft wood that'll soon break.

The dowel gives a greater hand contact area (less force per square inch on the fingers), is nice and rounded (no edges to dig in), doesn't take long to orient in one's hand (given its axial symmetry), and is dirt cheap (not $45).

Looking much like Homer Simpson's inanimate carbon rod, although smaller, it is just as useful in saving the day.

I do the knot over the packing paddle and rotate it a few times, but its a pain in the ass with the paddle being long... not sure if the hook would feel better.

I'll think about the wooden dowel idea, but do you wrap it at all, or just put the hoop from the knot over it and pull it tight? My issue would be that it would want to unwrap itself and since it's round, it will just kind of rotate.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I use a delerin rod, about 1 1/4" diam., with a saw kerf cut half way through. The width of the kerf depends on the pull up cord material. Then put the pull up cord into the kerf and wrap around once or twice into the kerf. This locks off the cord under itself so it doesn't slip. And exiting the kerf on a radius of the rod means that it won't try to roll. To undo just grab the far end and pull and the rod will twist itself off. I have two, one sized for a cypres cord and one sized for gutted 550.

I used to flip a larks head into the pull up cord and stick a packing paddle through it.

I can't make Rigger Rob method work although I've tried. I've seen him do it three times but just can't do it. Partly I'm bigger than I size 36 jacket.:)

Mike's hook looks too complicated to wrap and to small a diameter to be comfortable, at least for an old man.

Of course I also pull out Allen Silver's fancy ratchet/axel/plate tool that costs way too much money because they were sold to the air force.:P

"No Pain, No Pain!" I just need the woman on the tread mill in my shop!

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I personally like the Positive Leverage Closing Device or T-Bar type sold in the industry, however I use gutted 550 for the pull-up cord as the thinner types tend to break from the strain at the end slots (see pic).
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I personally like the Positive Leverage Closing Device or T-Bar type sold in the industry, however I use gutted 550 for the pull-up cord as the thinner types tend to break from the strain at the end slots (see pic).

I have one of those, trying to get away from using it though.

Still thinking about what to use... got some time till I expect to be closing another one.