crazydiver

Setting Suunto Core for Skydiving

Hey All,

Quick question. Bought a Suunto core because I've known lots of others who used it for under canopy, etc. Put it in altimeter mode and set the reference altitude to "0" but when I took it up to jump the other day, it was about 1200 feet off the whole way up to altitude, and that disparity increased as we got higher in altitude. Am I in the wrong setting?

Mike Gruwell...suggestions?

Cheers,
Travis

I've been using a core now for a couple months. And previous suuntos for about the prior 7 years. never had a problem yet with the core. Seems pretty acurate

Primary goal...figure out if I've got the right settings going on. Does what said earlier mimic how it should be set up?

Cheers,
Travis

I've been using a core now for a couple months. And previous suuntos for about the prior 7 years. never had a problem yet with the core. Seems pretty acurate

Primary goal...figure out if I've got the right settings going on. Does what said earlier mimic how it should be set up?

I've done a few jumps with my Core and a Galaxy II. They pretty much agree. Yes, when I'm in the loading area I set the ref alt to 0. What is your current setting for sea level? Mine is 972 hPa. A quick google tells me that at 15C it should be 1013.25 hPa.

I've done a few jumps with my Core and a Galaxy II. They pretty much agree. Yes, when I'm in the loading area I set the ref alt to 0. What is your current setting for sea level? Mine is 972 hPa. A quick google tells me that at 15C it should be 1013.25 hPa.

You googled a general pressure at 15C at sealevel or where you are right now?
If you want to compare the airpressure with your Suunto i suggest you look at the METAR at the closest airport.
The METAR should have one part with QXXX or QXXXX where the X's are the airpressure.
Also look at when the METAR report was made, if its a few hours old it could be off.

I had no idea you used In/hg in the US METARs.
I thought it was the same all over the world.

In that case the METAR should have one part saying AXXXX where the X are numbers.
You could use this map and find the METAR you need, and you can change the units to make it display the numbers in hPA in the decoded version of the METAR
http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/north-america.php