adolfocamerano

vigil mode

hi i have a pd-230 in my DZ , for post- course rig i was wondering in what mode should i turn on the vigil: student or pro?

If they are post-course, but not earned their A-License equivalent, wouldn't you want it in Student mode?
A PD230 rig would likely be used by a lesser-experienced skydiver as well, no?

Wouldn't it depend on which altitude you mandate the rig user to open their main parachute ?

The big difference between student mode and pro mode is the descent rate required to activate (45mph vs 78mph). While there is a small difference in activation altitude (1040' vs 840'), I expect that most people would expect deployment - especially student deployment - to have been initiated far, far above both of those altitudes.

How likely do you think it will be for the typical user of that rig to bust through 45mph descent rate with a fully inflated, functioning canopy?

hi i have a pd-230 in my DZ , for post- course rig i was wondering in what mode should i turn on the vigil: student or pro?

All good replies, but I'd say go ask a staff instructor, S&TA, or DZO at THAT drop zone. There may be considerations that only they are familiar with that are in play here. Or it may be a matter of DZ standard operating procedures. Either way, your question is best posed locally where the nuances are better understood, and where there may be a "rule" for that.

If nobody cares what you do, set that puppy on "pro". You deserve it and the pro setting is good for a killer ground rush during deployment.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

All good replies, but I'd say go ask a staff instructor, S&TA, or DZO at THAT drop zone. There may be considerations that only they are familiar with that are in play here. Or it may be a matter of DZ standard operating procedures. Either way, your question is best posed locally where the nuances are better understood, and where there may be a "rule" for that.

If nobody cares what you do, set that puppy on "pro". You deserve it and the pro setting is good for a killer ground rush during deployment.;)

He has 5300 jumps, is an instructor, and is the DZO. He's asking which mode he should use for the people he is training once they are off student gear.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

He has 5300 jumps, is an instructor, and is the DZO. He's asking which mode he should use for the people he is training once they are off student gear.

Must be my selective reading at it again. My reply should have been...

All good replies, but I'd say go ask the staff at YOUR drop zone. There may be considerations that only they are familiar with that are in play here. That way you can establish a DZ standard operating procedure. Either way, your question is best posed locally where the nuances are better understood, and where there may someday be a "rule" for that.

I say set that puppy on "pro". Your students deserve a killer ground rush during deployment.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX