hyper172

DIY Camera Wing ?

Ok, Im sure someone has tried this, but I can't find any online discussions so Im just going to ask.....

Wanting to make some removable camera wings for my freefly jacket...First, I know that the ideal method is to order a camera jacket, however, I am now a college student and am poor...
I have more time than money, so I can build this for ~20ish bucks

I have come up with two possible methods of attachment...1. #5 molded tooth zipper (I've read that molded tooth is stronger than coil but have not confirmed this fact, please correct me if I am wrong) or 2. weaving a cutaway cable similar to a wing suit attachment.

I am leaning towards the zipper method because weaving that cutaway cable takes forever and I frequently alternate between doing tandems and tandem video and need to be able to quickly add or remove the wings.

However, I know that the cutaway cable method is strong, but do not know if the zipper idea will be strong enough or last very long. It would be a pain to have 1 wing blow off because the zipper failed. Does anyone have any experience with using zippers on removeable camera wings?

Any ideas from experience out there? Probably going to start building this w/e since the forecast is calling for thunderstorms

Any ideas from experience out there?

Don't do it. Unless you have significant experience flying with wings of all different sizes and shapes, and you are also a talented sewer and rigger, you're asking for trouble.

A bad set of wings will fly like shit. A poorly built or poorly desgned set of wings may not be functional at all, may develop into a hazard with regards to deployment or working your handles, or may self destruct in any number of ways, causing you any number of problems in freefall.

You use your arms, and the area around the wings (your hackey down by the base of the wing, and your handles along the body of the wings) for too many important things to chicken-shit together a pair of home-made wings for a suit that was never designed for them.

If you need wings, borrow a proper suit, or scan the classifieds for a used suit.

They probably won't work out the way you are hoping, but building a set of wings is a good and challenging sewing project.

Zippers can fail at the most inopportune times. I'd go with the cutaway cable idea even if it is more of a hassle. It will probably be easier to build, as you will only have to open some of the seam on the side of the jacket and under the arms instead of all of it.

Assuming that you have access to something with wings to make your pattern from; if not, find one. Be sure to add a seam allowance all around.

Build the wing in three layers - supplex (or whatever material the jacket is made of) on the outsides and zp on the inside. Overstitch the complete wing a few times and bind the edges to keep the layers together.

If your sewing skills are good enough to build a wing, you might consider building a jacket to put them on too instead of using your current one.

Oh, and you probably don't need to be told this, but don't put the first jump on them on a work jump!

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I could order a camera jacket, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of building something myself... If I fail I am only out a few bucks and some time. Thanks for the input, and I will probably go with the cutaway cable idea.

I do enjoy the satisfaction of building something myself.

I understand completely.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider building a jacket and the wings at the same time. Materials for a jacket won't be all that expensive or hard to find. You'll be able to use your current jacket while you are working on the wings (prototypes always require reworking; expect it to take more than a day to finish) and you can sew the tabs for the cutaway cable into the jacket seam (will look cleaner and be less work).

And you'll learn a LOT in the process!

I was thinking the same several years ago, mainly because I remembered how long it takes to get a custom suit and I wanted these wings for the weekend. In the end I ditched the idea of removable ones and made a pair of permanent wings for my freefly suit instead.

Yes the tooth zippers are generally stronger than coil, however the coils can bend much better than tooth, meaning the coil would be better to go around the curves under your arms... so neither zipper is ideal here. Maybe consider mounting permanent wings (open up the side seam of your suit, add a piece of binding tape for support, and sandwich in the wing) and then have a small pocket in the wing so you can push the bottom attachment up out of the way while doing tandems, then pull it down and click in place for outside video. It's quicker than putting on and taking off wings between jumps.

Chris

If thats the case then... maybe you could try building a pair of slip on wings, you don't need a full jacket, and you don't need attach and detach wings... what you need is a pair of slip on wings that slide over you current jacket.

Back when I didn't want to pay for a real jacket, I used a number of pairs of these kind of slip on wings, there nice for super hot high humid areas, you can slip them right on over your t-shirt, or have another looser pair for slipping over you jacket.

Now if you makes these, you have to watch for how loose you have the spandex because it will inflate some if too loose. Now the other thing is if you use spandex in the back area it will lift your rig off you back slightly and that can be kind of trippy because it feels like your not wearing a rig, however that is acting like part of the wing, in other words the wing is one all the way across your back and not just the part under your arm pit.

These work very well, I used to use these and only t-shirt and shorts... and these are cheap as hell to make.

Simple to make, one piece of spandex or what you care use, folded over to make the arms and back, then your choice of wing fabric sewn on, then use binding tape to do the outside edge of wing, it end in the swoop cords and harness attachment point, I used fastex clips and used the female end on an adjustable loop.

YOU MUST make sure to use some spandex in the back section, you can see it's cut in an arch shape, that is so it stays close and hugs your side and that way you can't reach through to pull your handle through the wing, if you do your fucked! (seen it happen)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo