turtlespeed

Either you do or you don't . . .

Here's a podsibly offensive, but eye opening question.

I was talking to a friend of mine that happens to be a self proclaimed athiest.

So I asked him what he was doing at Christmas time. Well, ironically enough, he said he would be too busy, decorating a tree and celebrating Christmas with his family.

So my question is this, if you are a true athiest, shouldn't you, like , not be allowed to participate in a religious holiday devoted to Christ?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Maybe his family is Christian and he will participating with them. In which case, it would be that much incredibly weirder if he were to be somehow "banished" from holiday festivities because he does not proclaim his belief in Jesus. Wasn't the tree a pagan thing to begin with, anyway?
It's the Year of the Dragon.

ooohhh! Not going there, well very far at least.
Im not athiest, but the only reason I celebrate is b/c those I care for choose to celebrate, and me not would cause them to be upset. So I play happy families, and enjoy myself the best I can.
:)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Oh please. Christmas is so comercialized it's not even about christ anymore.

You are absolutely right, and for $29.95, you can have your own PERSONAL Xmas, regardless of your religious beliefs, no questions asked, CALL NOW!!!

Not allowed? No...although it is kind of hypocritical. My jewish owned company is having a Christmas party.

I'm an atheist, or agnostic, or whatever you want, but I celebrate Christmas (although I don't have a tree or decorations at home). But Christmas has more of a meaning to many people than what it supposedly started as. To many people, myself included, it's a time to be thankful for your friends and family and show them how much you appreciate them in a way that you don't typically the rest of the year. And to be fair, it originally started as a pagan holiday celebrating the winter solstice.

You are absolutely right, and for $29.95, you can have your own PERSONAL Xmas, regardless of your religious beliefs, no questions asked, CALL NOW!!!

Holy shit, Ivan agrees with me. I'm skeered. B|

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

... and everyone is always complaining about how much money they spend. Maybe the celebration should happen every 4 years, like the Olympics...

It's fine for him to celebrate with his family, especially his kids. Why should they be deprived of having this nice holiday tradition of getting together as a family with the tree, presents and relatives over just because he doesn't believe in the religious part of it. "Christmas tradition" are not just for Christians, anymore. That is OK with me because it is still a time to spend quality time with the people that you love. Besides, what the hell do the tree and presents have to do with our belief in God or our religion, anyway? :S If you said that he was attending church for Christmas (Do all the good Christians do this still?), then that may seem strange.

First of all we must define the word Atheist. . .this term refers to belief that higher powers and spiritual beings simply do not exist. There are really no true atheists in the world because everyone worships something.

That being said, I agree that christmas is way too commercialized to be considered a "religious" holiday. . .its a great time to gather with family and friends though. . .and maybe get in a few skydives. . .lol.
FGF #6
Darcy

Here's a podsibly offensive, but eye opening question.

I was talking to a friend of mine that happens to be a self proclaimed athiest.

So I asked him what he was doing at Christmas time. Well, ironically enough, he said he would be too busy, decorating a tree and celebrating Christmas with his family.

So my question is this, if you are a true athiest, shouldn't you, like , not be allowed to participate in a religious holiday devoted to Christ?

Let me ask you this. If you're celebrating Christ, WWJD? Tell him he's not allowed to celebrate because he's an atheist, or offer to help him decorate his tree?

Not allowed to participate?? No. I'm an atheist/agnostic person, and I celebrate Christmas with my family. However, in all honesty, December 25 to me is no different than say August 16, or April 27, or any other day. I celebrate it because the rest of my family does, and I don't want to be a pain in the ass, sitting in the corner, complaining about how I don't believe in everything that Christmas symbolizes. There is a time and place for the religious argument, and December 25 is not one of them. Just enjoy being around your family and let the whole religious thing go for a day.

It's fine for him to celebrate with his family, especially his kids. Why should they be deprived of having this nice holiday tradition of getting together as a family with the tree, presents and relatives over just because he doesn't believe in the religious part of it. "Christmas tradition" are not just for Christians, anymore. That is OK with me because it is still a time to spend quality time with the people that you love. Besides, what the hell do the tree and presents have to do with our belief in God or our religion, anyway? :S If you said that he was attending church for Christmas (Do all the good Christians do this still?), then that may seem strange.

Yup, Midnight Mass - On christmas Eve, and Noon on Christmas Day.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I just love how the celebration of someone who was supposed to be a proponent of peace, love, understanding, and acceptance is being used to judge someone elses beliefs. Pretty much illustrates exactly why I choose not to buy into the hypocrisy of organized religion.

My family's Christmas has never been about the religious celebration, it's been about family getting together and sharing love. We've always opened presents on Christmas Eve, Santa comes the next morning and about 20 family members all hang out together for 2 days and have fun. It's still my family's favorite part of the year and we decorate and buy presents with flourish. It means different things to different people, it all depends on how you were raised.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was just under the impression that he was being a bit hypocritical.

What started this line of thinking was his response to "What are you doing . . ."
And also the recent news that the 10 commandments being removed from a court of law that still has the justices recite "So help me God" in thier induction. That led to thinking that this family that rose such a stink in Cali about the pledge of allegiance, and prayer, or whatever, i was wondering if they celebrate Christmas, or just take the time off work.

Yup, Midnight Mass - On christmas Eve, and Noon on Christmas Day.

Why is he going to mass then? Are his children being raised Christian? Either way, the door is always open to him. He may be unsure about his beliefs. If it helps him to decide or to learn something about himself by going to church, then great!

What does this guy's religion have to do with you, Clint? Religious beliefs are highly personal. I'm a little pissed off that anyone would be critiquing someone else for how the conduct their spiritual life when we are clearly taught acceptance and tolerance of our neighbors in these religions and in the Bible.

This is why I have a problem with organized religion, even though I was raised a Catholic. It's the people within these organizations and their rules that I do not agree with...not the religious teachings. Sigh...but I still love ya, Clint, even though I find this thread offensive.

For some darlin, maybe.

For my family, it's all about Christ.

I know, sounds corny, but we have been lighting a birthday candle for Jesus on Chrsitmas morning at my parents, and now my house, since I was born, and probably before, though I can't seem to remember those times.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to understand it.
Most of the time he is putting religion down, and protesting the
whole idea of God and Jesus. This is just surprising to me.
I asked him if he had changed his beliefs, and he said, no.

I thought it might disturb some people. Not meaning too, but you can't type speach inflection that easily.

There are really no true atheists in the world because everyone worships something.

I can't say that there aren't male atheists but I don't believe that there are female atheists in this world. It seems that every female that professes to be an atheist, that I have been with, all scream "OH GOD" at the moment of orgasm....

TripleF

It's always seemed to me that the more religious a person is, the more judgemental they become. Doesn't that totally go against everything that you've been taught when you go to church? It doesn't seem hypocritical to me at all when people decide to do their own thing on Christmas and make the holiday their own.

The one reason my family isn't religious now is because my faither was raised in a very strict Catholic upbringing. Because of that, he did a total 180 and raised us without "forcing us" to take part in organized religion. As a result, we've all been able to form our own opinions about God and religion.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That led to thinking that this family that rose such a stink in Cali about the pledge of allegiance, and prayer, or whatever, i was wondering if they celebrate Christmas, or just take the time off work.

Imposing your religious beliefs on others from a multi-cultural/religious melting pot within a patriotic song is imposing, restrictive and not inclusive of everyone. This infringes on some people's freedom of religion. That is quite different than having the celebration of holiday traditions "used" by "non-believers" to bring their families closer. What is the harm in that? Again, this is all gray area, not black or white.

That's along the lines that I was thinking.

I was just wondering what these people that are so dead set against religion do for the holidays?