pnfilipowsky

Canopy Life Span and Performance

Currently, I am looking at purchasing a canopy with about 1000ish jumps on it and a brand new lineset installed. I've been told that that many jumps on a canopy (fabric not lines) can lead do decreased performance. I was just wondering what types of decreased performance I could expect. Openings? Glide? Flight? Turns? Dive? Swoop Distance? Flare?

How will a 1000 jump canopy compare to new canopy performance wise?

Thanks!

More info needed. If it's an f-111 canopy with 1000 jumps, I don't know why they would bother to put a new lineset on it. If it's a ZP canopy, it could have a lot of life left if it's been well-maintained. i.e. not left in the sun, not many, if any, water jumps, not jumped in sandy, dusty conditions.
Things to look at: where did it come from (Arizona = lots of sun and sand, Pennsylvania, not so much). What is the Date of Manufacture (a few years old = good, many years old = more time to lie around and get damaged).
If the fabric is getting worn out, glide, swoop, and flare will suffer. It would be nice if you could give it a good inspection and test jump it before any money changes hands.
You don't have to outrun the bear.