davevans

First Rig (Wings), need advice

I am coming off AFF and was lucky enough to obtain one of the 50% wings coupons and would like everyone's advice on my final option choice. Its my first rig, but I do intend to keep it a while. Its an articulated rig and I'm trying to decide between the basic (not deluxe) stainless steel upgrade or the spacer foam back and leg pads. How comfortable are the standard pads, or is the $150 upgrade cost worth it. I can only do one or the other due to budget, and have not had enough exposure/experience to determine which is the better way to go.

TIA,
Dave

You could probably go to Z-hills and visit the Sunrise factory... they would probably be willing to show you rigs with the options so you can touch/feel them.

Get measured there too. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah I actually live about 15 mins from both sunshine factory and sunrise. Going in there to check everything out and get fitted. I'm leaning more towards the spacer foam for comfort, but don't know if I'm making a stupid mistake passing on the stainless

Yeah I actually live about 15 mins from both sunshine factory and sunrise. Going in there to check everything out and get fitted. I'm leaning more towards the spacer foam for comfort, but don't know if I'm making a stupid mistake passing on the stainless

There are plenty of people around Z-hills jumping with cad rings, and with no spacer foam.

Either way, it increases resale value of the rig.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I would go for the stainless steel definitely. Then see how much it costs for extra legstrap only padding. I don't think padding on the backpad is worth much, I know others disagree.

Cadmium flakes off, and is toxic. Lots of people got by without stainless steel for many years, but there are also people that have had harnesses ruined by the steel rusting and wearing at the webbing. Once that rust starts, your harness will have to be replaced very soon.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I would most definitely choose the SpacerFoam on the legpads.

If you are going to hang on to it for a long time I would also choose stainless rings, they maintain their shine and "nice" look longer than the container will last. The Cadmium plated hardware starts wearing and looking used fairly fast.

each one of the attached pics has over 500 jumps

as far as the backpad - it's an individual choice.

Stainless.

Wings are known for being comfortable in the first place. Add to that the likelihood that you have been jumping gear that is not a great fit to start with, student/hire type gear then you will be happy with the fit and comfort of the rig anyhow. The Stainless will serve you well.

I did about 1,000 jumps on my first two wings containers without foam and never felt that I was missing out. Got it on my two new rigs and it feels good but not that important.

ymmv
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

What does stainless provide besides bling factor? I've only bought used gear since it became available, so I haven't researched it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

being from further south florida (cape coral) i would definatly get the stainless, no questions asked. i jump a wings rig without the mega expensive back pad or leg pads and i love my rig, ive jumped plenty of other wings rigs with the space foam back and leg straps and didnt notice much difference. jmho
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

What does stainless provide besides bling factor? I've only bought used gear since it became available, so I haven't researched it.

Wendy P.

As said earlier:

Cadmium flakes off, and is toxic. Lots of people got by without stainless steel for many years, but there are also people that have had harnesses ruined by the steel rusting and wearing at the webbing. Once that rust starts, your harness will have to be replaced very soon.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think it was Jim (Airtwardo) who said he had a cadmium rig go bad within a year. He was in Texas, far from any ocean. The humidity changes destroyed the hardware very quickly.

Texas has an entire ocean side.

Houston isn't far from there, Rosharon (where the DZ is) is closer ;)... just FYI.

Wendy P.

As said earlier:

I believe Eric (Phreezone) just rebuilt his harness because the rings were deteriorating and damaging his harness. Its got stainless now, IIRC.

Stainless improves durability all round.

It also has increased slippage on Type VII webbing with certain set-ups:S

This has led to manufacturers re-assessing how they assemble those components and in general I am not getting complaints at the loft from customers anymore.

Wings did have an advisory mod for leg-strap slippage a couple of years ago. no recent problems that I am aware of

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I borrowed a Wings rig and the leg straps slipped before I entered the plane. The owner saw it and told me to push on the hardware, then it was set and didn't slip. The little bar is U-shaped and if pushed, it traps the webbing. It had slipped for him at times, perhaps forgetting to push on the hardware after adjusting it? My own Wings without stainless has never slipped and there's nothing that needs to be pushed. But perhaps Wings has another design now, that rig was probably six years old.