Abedy

Thomas Sport Equipment's Teardrop VIPER

Hi folks,
just right before the new season started and a couple days before my 50th birthday I got my new rig delivered. It's a Teardrop VIPER. As the VIPER cannot be chosen in the dropdown menu in the profile section I thought I may tell you a few words about it. Just bear with me. If you do not sharing my joy, just skip the article. I do NOT intend to start a rig war or a safety issue war... B|
I've jumped a Teardrop SF for about 7 years and was fully satisfied with it so far. Due to me downsizing the rig got a little "too big" and the 176 reserve didn't go very well with the 129 Crossfire 2. So I thought I could get me a nice birthday present and ordered the new VIPER. Back pad and leg pads etc with Aero Spacer (foamed) for real comfort; I'm growing older! The laterals are attached to the back pad in a new way (no longer at the corners) so the rig fits even better in all postions you may think (or at least be able to fly) I also like the pop top reserve container, no hassle, a real innovation as I see it. Had to pull my reserve twice with a Teardrop SF, no problems. It comes with all options I wanted to have. I didn't want a small chest strap so I couldn't get a fully articulated rig, but I'm fully satisfied with the way mine articulates both in FS and in FF.
If you want to read more in perfect English, have a look here.
I also attached a pic B|
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I wanted to have a pillow reserve handle. I already had a reserve with the rig (of a jumper colleague) that was equipped with a pillow reserve handle and didn't have any problems, A D-ring isn't anything I didn't want to have, I just thought the pillow is better in cases when you are squeezed into a small compartment (as we are now with a C206 instead of a C208 :( ) or in cases of a lot of jumpers exiting at the same time.

@frontloop: Did you order a VIPER, too?
If so, I can understand your disappointment. OTOH, I placed my order by the end of December and was told I'd have to wait for about 12 weeks or so. I think it's because Teardrops are pretty good value for money (compared to other rigs) and that is why it's getting tight during winter/early spring.
Wish you'll get your rig ASAP.

Carsten

Nice rig! What's the fabric? From the photos it looks quite a lightweight material.

I've never had a Viper, but I jumped a 'classic' 1-pin Teardrop (precursor to the Super Fly) for many years and was happy with that. They were very popular in the UK, although most Brits seem to buy American gear now.

I liked having the reserve pin protected against my back, and the way it all closed up so neatly. People seem to have a downer on velcro these days, but on that rig it was actually great for keeping everything neatly and safely tucked away, so long as you maintained it.

The fabric is cordura. I had the same fabric with the Teardrop SF and it proved to be very resistant and still doesn't show any wear & tear except from some very small stains here and there.
And yes, I also like the reserve pin being protected against my back. I made it my ritual to check my reserve pin when switching on the CYPRES (which is also underneath the double-secured flap on the back) first of all when I come to the DZ (followed by the usual rig inspection) so I'll always be sure my AAD is swiched on and the reserve pin is checked.
The risers are are safely stowed in the newer Teardrops without velcro, there are... hm... rounded, rather stiff flaps you can put into ...hm... pockets. Well, it's the same solution you can see on almost any modern rig. B|

Oh, cordura! OK, I didn't recognise it from your photos. I think I'm just not used to seeing it in the lighter shades.

Back when I bought my first container in the early 90s, most people were going for the lighter, thinner parapak (sp?) - I suspect, as with too many skydiving decisions, that was a 'fashion' thing since cordura was associated - at least in my mind - with student gear. However, there's a reason for that - as you say, it's very hard-wearing!

Sweet.

I have a TSE SF in Blue Alien Skin ... I love my rig.

There is some velcro (but not much) - the cut-a-way pad and reserve Pin flap but the riser flaps are stiff 'plastic'.

Have fun

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome