jenomegle

Mirrored vs tinted goggles

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a pair of relatively cheap goggles that will fit over my glasses.

I want to buy a pair, so that you can't see that I'm wearing glasses under the goggles.

So do you guys prefer wearing tinted (see link below) or mirrored goggles? Would either restrict your vision in any way?

Tinted: http://www.kroopsgoggles.com/_product_38621/Over_The_Eyeglass_Goggle_(_OTE-T-S-BRN-W_)
Are they usually tinted lightly or very dark?

Cheers! xx

I want to buy a pair, so that you can't see that I'm wearing glasses under the goggles.

Why? What is the reason behind this need?

Besides, with those goggles, everyone will know that you have a pair of glasses on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So do you guys prefer wearing tinted (see link below) or mirrored goggles? Would either restrict your vision in any way?

So long as they're not sun glases (no tint) you should be fine with the goggles. Just keep in mind you may want to get a clear set for those sunset jumps, as it can get dark pretty quick, and you don't want to be wearing tinted goggles. (Yes, you can take them off under canopy though)

They do come in clear, lightly tinted, and dark.

I know of several people that wear those type of goggles over glasses, no issues.

Why are you trying to hide your glasses?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've worn clear goggles over my glasses, and for some reason I just prefer the fact that you can't see my glasses underneath. A little particularity of mine, I suppose!

Keep in mind, alot of instructors don't want students to wear tinted goggles for their training jumps, they like to be able to see your eyes. (not sure of your jump number)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've worn clear goggles over my glasses, and for some reason I just prefer the fact that you can't see my glasses underneath. A little particularity of mine, I suppose!

Keep in mind, alot of instructors don't want students to wear tinted goggles for their training jumps, they like to be able to see your eyes. (not sure of your jump number)

Same with some organizers and teams for group freefall dives. The eyes are key communication tools for some skydives.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If they are dark enough to hide your glasses, then they will be too dark to see much inside the plane. Things like checking your handles (which should be by touch, but you want to look at them too), or giving another jumper a last minute pin check.

They are so big, everyone will know you are wearing glasses anyway.
If you care how you look in the air, then you are focusing on the wrong things.

Have you considered prescription goggles? I don't have them (I wear the clear Kroops you linked) but they are an option.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Being an AFF instructor.... I do not recommend tinted or mirrored goggles.

Being an LO.... I do not recommend tinted or mirrored goggles.

Being a guy that has won a few medals at the Nationals.... I do not recommend tinted or mirrored goggles.

I can think of very few good reasons to have them and tons of good reasons not to have them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Now only if they made little plastic things that you could place in your eyes, and they would allow you to see clearly.

Contacts with goggles FTW. Get yourself a good pair of well fitting goggles. I used to have a pair of the Bobster goggles with interchangeable lenses. I always used clear lenses though. the tinted ones, and amber ones threw off my depth perception.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Now only if they made little plastic things that you could place in your eyes, and they would allow you to see clearly.

Contacts with goggles FTW. Get yourself a good pair of well fitting goggles. I used to have a pair of the Bobster goggles with interchangeable lenses. I always used clear lenses though. the tinted ones, and amber ones threw off my depth perception.

or you could just go all out and get lasik done. I did it last year and i love it. Best money i've spent prior to starting skydiving
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Could you elaborate?

My experience only, but:

I usually wear sunglasses or tinted goggles when I'm coaching long swoops to dock since I'm generally well under the student after they exit. If the sun is behind them, it's nice to be able to see 'em start their bombing run....

I also sometimes wear them when I'm doing coached tracking dives for the same reason. I want to know if they're beagle tracking into the sun...
Owned by Remi #?

Labrys gave a good example... I don't do it, but it has a solid backing.

Reasons for tinted (and I have given this much more thought):
* jumping in snow... Snow can really blind you.

* Jumping over a big ass lake can give some serious reflections.

* freeflying where you might have to look up at the sun.

* Very sensitive eyes.

Reasons not to: Well the eyes are a very good communication device. Just a look can give tons of information. I had a teammate who used to wear sunglasses doing 4way... It annoyed the shit out of me since when I looked at him I could not read him.

I will not let students wear them for the same reason.

I used to wear sunglasses on tandems so I could 'melt' away and the only face easy to see is the students.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I totally understand students not using them. I also understand not having tinted goggles during dusk/low light jumps. Other than these two, I couldn't think of a safety reason not to jump with them. Your original reply made it seem like there were large number of concerns, thus I asked for you to elaborate.

I usually wear tinted goggles. Now that I am using a G2, I use sunglasses under the visor. I also wear contacts, and squinting in bright light distorts my vision. I use some type of tinting on about 80% of my jumps.

"I couldn't think of a safety reason not to jump with them."

Skewed depth perception? I see you jump often w/shades. Us Newbs are more sensitive to those things. Pilots wear yellow lenses to aid in depth perception. Yellow doesn't block UV, though. Unless they're polycarbonate, I believe. My eye MD told me to stick w/black or brown lenses. Especially since I wear strong contacts.

I'm confused myself..anyways.

I wear glasses when I jump. My glasses have transitions lenses so I wear clear ones. I guess mirrored would block the view of your glasses, but eye contact between jumpers in freefall I believe is important. I don't live OVA style goggles, there too bulky. I love Way Cool homebrand normal fitting goggles, they allow we to wear my specs without looking like a moon unit.

http://www.waycool.com.au/duraflex-p-130.html
www.exoticbodypiercing.com.au

Students usually have to use clear most places as others have said. After that anything goes. Glasses suck however during packing when you lay on the canopy, I busted a few pairs while they were on lanyards, etc. Plus when its hot, sweaty they suck also. Contacts work great and I use the disposable ones. Most goggles work OK with them but I havnt tried with Gators, I think they would probably fly out. I did have the dreaded one contact fly out while tracking hard one time, was not that hard landing with one eye vision.B|

I had a teammate who used to wear sunglasses doing 4way... It annoyed the shit out of me since when I looked at him I could not read him.

This.

My teams have a 'no sunnies on the creeper pad' rule as well. What is skydiving together without communication? And what communication can you do when you can't see their eyes?

As an individual coach too, I'm not just looking at your body position. Learning to skydive is much more in the mind than the body, and it's hard to tell what you're thinking about when I can't see your eyes.

Obviously it's a two-way street - I do everything I can to make sure my face is visible too! Tinted goggles and (worse) visors are not my thing, though obviously there *are* some specific reasons one might own them.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I agree about the eye-contact issue. Important for performance and safety but also enhances the "communal" aspect of FS.B|

I have the same issue: gotta wear perscription glasses. Bought a pair of the over-the-glasses variation on the old "Krupps-style" goggles. Then I felt that handling helmet, goggles and perscription glasses in the plane would be a bit much, so I bought the Benny helmet, since it manages the goggles very nicely. I know I don't look bad-ass, but I also know that I am bad-ass regardless.B|

I believe you have my stapler.

Students usually have to use clear most places as others have said. After that anything goes. Glasses suck however during packing when you lay on the canopy, I busted a few pairs while they were on lanyards, etc. Plus when its hot, sweaty they suck also. Contacts work great and I use the disposable ones. Most goggles work OK with them but I havnt tried with Gators, I think they would probably fly out. I did have the dreaded one contact fly out while tracking hard one time, was not that hard landing with one eye vision.B|

I wear contacts & Gators. I've never had a problem with them. Sure a contact might come out eventually, but I know people with full face visors that have lost contacts. I am looking into a new pair of goggles or glasses so people can see my eyes though. It's definitely true that communication is reduced with tint. I also don't like the whole sunset practically blind thing....