Broke

Hot knife

I finally decided what I wanted to do with my old destroyed Sabre. I want to make Kites out of it. My question is what is a good hot knife to use to cut the fabric? I figured it would be nice to give some old nylon a second chance at flight.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Well, you have 2 choices. Choice #1 is to buy a hot knife from Paragear for like $140.

Option 2 is to buy a soldering Iron from Hobby Lobby, then buy a hotknif tip from the same store, sold is the wood etching isle. Total Cost: $20.
=========Shaun ==========

I see HF has one, but not sure of the quality. Was wondering if any rigger has tried it out.

It'll probably do the job just as well, but take longer to heat up.

I'd recommend staying away from the butane cordless ones, as they do have quite a bit of exhaust heat, and that could be an issue.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well thank you everyone for all those options. Time to consider everything. I will have to post up when I make some kites. First old canopy on the chopping block is my old Saber needs 500 to repair it, which is about what I paid for it in the first place.

I wonder what will make better kites ZP or F111? Guess I will have to build one out of each to find out.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Well, you have 2 choices. Choice #1 is to buy a hot knife from Paragear for like $140.

Option 2 is to buy a soldering Iron from Hobby Lobby, then buy a hotknif tip from the same store, sold is the wood etching isle. Total Cost: $20.

That's what I did, bought a wood-burning tool at Hobby Lobby. I machined the one tip to a thin blade. It heats-up fast and I get a very clean 'cut' without a lot of excess melted material. It works especially good with 0-P. I still have and use that burner (since 1993) and I use it often.

Chuck

I finally decided what I wanted to do with my old destroyed Sabre. I want to make Kites out of it. My question is what is a good hot knife to use to cut the fabric? I figured it would be nice to give some old nylon a second chance at flight.

My recommendation: Search for "Weller WEL8200PK". One of the tips in the kit works well as a hot knife. About $40 at hardware type stores.

H Deyan,

Try this: [email protected]

That is about all that I can offer on your question,

JerryBaumchen

I've got a great one that Gery Douris (RIP Friend) turned me on to years ago. we used it every day in Mfg the Reflex, I'll try to find it in my giant piles of crap that we are still unpacking, I'll let you know who makes it, it's frickin awsome!!!

Mick.