DVolz

When is it time to retire a main?

I've seen over 2500 jumps on a canopy and still jumping now.

And that is in southern california

And I have a Stiletto 135 with 800 jumps that had a Mr.Bill mal and now has w ripped center cell and only half the lines.

I'm thinking its done...And for those who ask I am still waiting on the video.
SKYDIVING = HAPPY

Sure it can, just really depends how you take care of it and maintain your parachute.

It's time to retire a main whenever it fails a pull test?

I've heard of+ 2200 jumps, vengeance 120 (WL 1,65), 0 chops. now that's sth!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

A question for the riggers. When is it time to retire a main parachute. If you put 1000 jumps on a canopy and have had it relined, does it still have some usefull life?

My fusion has 1000+ jumps and is on it's 2nd lineset. Absolutely nothing wrong with this canopy.

My vengeance has way less jumps, is also on it's 2nd lineset but has a good numer of patches and other repairs done. It doesn't look as nice, but this canopy is also quite airworthy.

So, it depends. F111 canopies are a no go. Anything hybrid you have to look at real good. ZP, if it's been taken care of halfway decent and been jumped over grass and not been wet, probably no biggie.

Most canopies I think are retired before their useful life is over, because of newer models coming out.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My manta had over 2000 with no line sets my first Sabre had 2478 when it was retired Comet 300 over 2000 all Para-planes no stabalzsers 800 each. Sometimes new lower steering line are enough between line sets. Alot more depends on the economy then the jumps. I would rather have a higher number and jump. Then have a new canopy in the trunk when gas hits over $4.00 again.

And I have a Stiletto 135 with 800 jumps that had a Mr.Bill mal and now has w ripped center cell and only half the lines.

I'm thinking its done...And for those who ask I am still waiting on the video.

The center cell is more vulnerable because it tends to get a lot of sweat, and therefore salts and the damage they cause, due to lying on it while packing. Having the center cell replaced is not so expensive, very reasonable to do for a canopy with 800 jumps.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

When it fails a strength test (rip test) or starts to fly poorly.

I have had canopys with 2500 jumps on them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334